Confirmed with Link: Daniel Alfredsson appointed as senior advisor of hockey operations

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Lehner may not be the most consistent goalie in the world during regular season but he is increadibly competitive during playoffs and must win games, a winner.
remains to be seen if true at NHL level

losing Lehner is about the lack of option available after Anderson declines, and whether even lehner could be up for that. tim thinks so, but we added o'connor to help in that regard

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
You don't know what you have before you loose it all.

I'm happy for Alfie and for the Senators because it's a great match.

Regarding the Lehner saga I'm not happy about it at all, now I will have to follow him in Buffalo. ;-) For me it was an increadibly stupid move, almost worse than Silfverberg, stupid moves like this is why you need somebody like Alfredsson in your staff. Why the **** give away world class top talent if you don't really have to? (and one million more question marks). If the coaches failed to see their world class talent then fire them. These two guys would have been important corner stones in the quest for the Cup. Lehner may not be the most consistent goalie in the world during regular season but he is increadibly competitive during playoffs and must win games, a winner.

Haven't you heard... Irish is in. Conor McGregor, Matt O'connor.

I see no difference here. I believe O'connor is going to make you forget all about Lehner. Even though, like you, I will miss Lehner.

Seriously though... O'connor moves in the crease like a pro and is way more sound positionally than Lehner. He will develop quickly.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Regarding the Lehner saga I'm not happy about it at all, now I will have to follow him in Buffalo. ;-) For me it was an increadibly stupid move, almost worse than Silfverberg, stupid moves like this is why you need somebody like Alfredsson in your staff. Why the **** give away world class top talent if you don't really have to? (and one million more question marks). If the coaches failed to see their world class talent then fire them. These two guys would have been important corner stones in the quest for the Cup. Lehner may not be the most consistent goalie in the world during regular season but he is increadibly competitive during playoffs and must win games, a winner.

Wise words.

Ottawa is such a sleepy little city, it's easy to overlook. But the city, the fans, and the organization really is top notch.

As for Lehner, I wish him the best (except when he plays Ottawa). Kid has some competitive fire. It's probably best for him to be the clear #1 guy. Buffalo probably isn't the best spot for him though....that defense is putrid.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Here's a fun little tidbit: A goalie has to be good in the regular season so that he can have a shot at the playoffs.

I like how trading a tweener 2nd line/3rd line guy and a guy who couldn't handle back-up duties is losing "world class talent"...

Knowing Alfredsson, he would have signed off on both those moves. Especially Lehner because he had zero patience for goalies who liked to show up the players.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Here's a fun little tidbit: A goalie has to be good in the regular season so that he can have a shot at the playoffs.

I like how trading a tweener 2nd line/3rd line guy and a guy who couldn't handle back-up duties is losing "world class talent"...

Knowing Alfredsson, he would have signed off on both those moves. Especially Lehner because he had zero patience for goalies who liked to show up the players.

especially after the hasek fiasco

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa

Do I like Silverberg and Lehner? For sure, but I also really respect Ryan's 2 way play.

I know we gave up a lot for him, but if you look at the big picture, we are already having a hard time getting our current kids into the big club so moves like this have to be made.

Lehner had many opportunities to take the #1 position but never could while O'Connor looks like a legit goalie and Andy is proven. By the time Andy starts to decline, O'Connor will be ready.

As for Ryan's performance last year, he spent the 2014 summer rehabbing and never could train. This year is different as he was able to train, same applies to Cowen.

If Cowen can be the D man we all hope he can be, and Ryan can continue his great 2 way plus pot a few more goals, we will be fine.

Having Alfie come into the dressing room for pep talks is just icing on the cake.

I'm really excited for the 2015/16 season.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I have no proof but Alfie's mere presence with his return spurred the Senators to make the playoffs. AND he did call it. The team asked him to take a shift when he signed his one-day deal and he didn't want to just in case he was on the ice for a goal that would cost the team the game and 2 points for the playoffs. We all snickered because at the time, the team was dead to rights, but Alfie knew. HE KNEW.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Your Sweden is showing... ;)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
CPMu8iXUEAEDoU4.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I hope the Sabres hire Brian Campbell and Ryan Miller once their respective careers are done, just so Alfie can beat them again in the board room as he did on the ice in OT.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As someone who doesn't have a ton of experience in the field of managing professional sports team what kind of responsibilities does the position entail?

Watch, listen and learn! Being groomed for an upper management position in hockey operations, such as Assistant GM and then GM someday. My guess.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Well, there is some merit to what you are saying. Keeping Hammond, who had a short but great run but did not impress in his AHL career to date, and letting Lehner go, does look odd to me too. Time will tell.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario

Because Alfie doesnt make stupid decisions? Like...I dont know....playing in Detroit

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not super stoked about this tbh. I hope he's successful and a natural and insightful and all that. This is a for real job and not something symbolic - you know? Hope he's a lot more Steve Yzerman than he is Kevin Lowe...

BigBush*

Well, there is some merit to what you are saying. Keeping Hammond, who had a short but great run but did not impress in his AHL career to date, and letting Lehner go, does look odd to me too. Time will tell.
You do realize that there was a really highly rated prospect involved that the Sens got, right?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not super stoked about this tbh. I hope he's successful and a natural and insightful and all that. This is a for real job and not something symbolic - you know? Hope he's a lot more Steve Yzerman than he is Kevin Lowe...
it's both symbolic and a real opportunity. the former player has to make the second happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad