Danes in the NHL and their exploits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
So it's time to evaluate this shortened season with few games left of it before the PO's.

Frans Nielsen - Started slow, but has taken speed and is getting his points, he REALLY want's PO time! - Overall a good season on pace for 60ish pts.

Just to illustrate how much Frans want's PO http://imgur.com/r/all/CTCzehV

Jannik Hansen - Had to take top 6 responsibilities early on in the season and has carried the team along with the twins thus far. He has taken his game to the next level and is on pace for 55ish pts. - Overall a very good season.

Peter Regin - I think we all agree that his is the most dissapointing story of all, he is done at NHL level. Hope he can restart his career in Europe.

Philip Larsen - Bank, please do the honours :D

Oliver Lauridsen - Very small sample, but he is not ready for the NHL and that's also the picture they give over at the Flyers board.

Nicklas Jensen - VERY VERY Small sample, didn't dissapoint, didn't exite. AHL is another story, he has not lived up too expectations there imo.

Lars Eller - For me he is the most positive suprise of all, came out strong from the doghouse and has been one of Montreal's most consistent players , and that's with almost NO PP and a low average TOI. On pace for 55pts aswell - Overall a very good season, he has shown that he is an elite 3rd liner at worst!

Mikkel Boedker - Now he may lead his team in pts (7-18-25) and im going to get alot of heat for this, but for me outside of Regin, Boedker is the biggest dissapointment. He is just way too inconsistent and he should score more with that speed and shot, al'a Grabner. It may be the team, the coach and the conference he is in. But I don't know, I just see so much more in his game to be explored. I love Phoenix, I do, they have great fans and a loveable team, but I would love to see Boeds on an Eastern conference team.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So it's time to evaluate this shortened season with few games left of it before the PO's.

Frans Nielsen - Started slow, but has taken speed and is getting his points, he REALLY want's PO time! - Overall a good season on pace for 60ish pts.

Jannik Hansen - Had to take top 6 responsibilities early on in the season and has carried the team along with the twins thus far. He has taken his game to the next level and is on pace for 55ish pts. - Overall a very good season.

Peter Regin - I think we all agree that his is the most dissapointing story of all, he is done at NHL level. Hope he can restart his career in Europe.

Oliver Lauridsen - Very small sample, but he is not ready for the NHL and that's also the picture they give over at the Flyers board.

Nicklas Jensen - VERY VERY Small sample, didn't dissapoint, didn't exite. AHL is another story, he has not lived up too expectations there imo.

Lars Eller - For me he is the most positive suprise of all, came out strong from the doghouse and has been one of Montreal's most consistent players , and that's with almost NO PP and a low average TOI. On pace for 55pts aswell - Overall a very good season, he has shown that he is an elite 3rd liner at worst!

Mikkel Boedker - Now he may lead his team in pts (7-18-25) and im going to get alot of heat for this, but for me outside of Regin, Boedker is the biggest dissapointment. He is just way too inconsistent and he should score more with that speed and shot, al'a Grabner. It may be the team, the coach and the conference he is in. But I don't know, I just see so much more in his game to be explored. I love Phoenix, I do, they have great fans and a loveable team, but I would love to see Boeds on an Eastern conference team.

Could KHL be a possibilty?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Here is my view of the danish players:
Frans Nielsen have generally had a strange season. Tons of assists both in SM-liiga and NHL, but scoring jinxed (only 6,9 in scoring%).
Even in SO he is only 40% this season (2 out of 5), and also had misses in Finland. He had some games with bad -statistics, but is slowly going towards a positive (-2 currently).
He really seems to have found form both offensively and defensively in the last couple of matches after struggling a bit the entire season. Hope he can get the chance to continue his current play in the playoffs.

Jannik Hansen's production is a bit up and down, but seems to always play 100%. A good season for him and he just keeps improving every year. Who would have thought he would be the best danish goalscorer this season so far? (the former "hands of stone" guy).

Mikkel Bødker definitely scored much less than I expected. After his goal-galore in Finland I would have thought he could translate it better to NHL. I think the comparison with Grabner is very fitting, But Bødker only has 7 goals whereas Grabner has 16 with much less icetime. Maybe it's because he is a bit constricted by Tippet's system, but I would have thought he would lead the danish players in goals by a fair margin with his talent.

Lars Eller certainly changed a very bad situation around. He is a great talent and hopefully he can stay on the line with Galchenyuk and keep developing offensively, since he is defensively sound for a third line as minimum.

Philip Larsen. Disappointing season after his great SM-liiga play. He is by far the worst d-man in Dalles with -10 statistics. He seems to have lost all his confidence. Hopefully he can find it again. Maybe in all honesty he is too light for NHL?

Oliver Lauridsen was thrown quite unexpectedly into NHL. He probably wasn't ready, but this should give him lots a experience he can build on for the future. At least he has the "mass" Philip Larsen doesn't. With continuing improved skating he will get closer to a fixed roster position.

Peter Regin has survived this season without further injury. That is the only positive. He hasn't been waived either.
But as his contract with Ottawa runs out what then? For his NHL career he hopefully can resign a year with a minimum wage with Ottawa? Don't know if other teams would be interested?
If not it's probably back to Sweden? For Danish players KHL is still very "exotic", but either Dinamo Riga or SKA St. Petersburg is maybe "western" enough to lure a danish player over? Dinamo Riga is the most likely to try since they need centers!

Nicklas Jensen have had enormous ups and downs this season. He is clearly in a slump these last months after a fantastic seasonal beginning for AIK. He needs more consistency. Hopefully it comes with age. But his AHL play lately has surely been disappointing.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Well there is not a great history of Danes in the KHL, like Norwegian and Finns.
Only Dane ever in the KHL is Russian Dane, Kirill Starkov, and that did not go well.

My guess would be SEL or SM Liiga. But KHL would be fun.

Everything that happened to Kirill Starkov after his great WHL season didn't go well. Except he actually occasionally plays a great game for the danish NT.
He played 18 games for CSKA Moskva in 2008-09 with 1g 1A and 6 playoff games 1G 0A.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark

Nope...

I'll give all of them a go when we've been through the big games ahead for Dallas and possibly Ottawa and New York Islanders. I'm putting a lot into the bottom line so gonna hold out a week or so :)

And btw... Thanks for help ImGoing'Nucks. Couldn't you just have finished Detroit in regular time instead? ;) Seeing as we got bend over in the Roy-trade and all :naughty: Now it's time for Boedker to chip in the great Danish scheme to get Philip Larsen some playoff-experience!

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I got some renewed hope from a thread on the main board. Phoenix looking for a cheap, average backup guy they can make the next Bryzgalov/Smith in Tippets system.

Both Hiller and Frederik Andersens name's came up. Both received well. The fact that Anaheim people are okay with trading Hiller to make room for Andersen(The Fasth-contract could point in this direction) and Phoenix guys being okay with the idea of getting Frederik Andersen seems to suggest that a path to the NHL might not be as long as I personally had in mind.

The whole "don't trade within division"-thing might not be as big a factor with the bigger divisions next year. He's got the same size as Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. The system, the defense, the coaching. The thought of Frederik Andersen on Phoenix makes me drool... I guess Anaheim would do as well :sarcasm:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I got some renewed hope from a thread on the main board. Phoenix looking for a cheap, average backup guy they can make the next Bryzgalov/Smith in Tippets system.

Both Hiller and Frederik Andersens name's came up. Both received well. The fact that Anaheim people are okay with trading Hiller to make room for Andersen(The Fasth-contract could point in this direction) and Phoenix guys being okay with the idea of getting Frederik Andersen seems to suggest that a path to the NHL might not be as long as I personally had in mind.

The whole "don't trade within division"-thing might not be as big a factor with the bigger divisions next year. He's got the same size as Bryzgalov and Mike Smith. The system, the defense, the coaching. The thought of Frederik Andersen on Phoenix makes me drool... I guess Anaheim would do as well :sarcasm:

Sounds pretty great. Hope Frederik Andersen get some luck. With either development he could end up as backup goalie the next season. Worst case scenario is that Anaheim keep their goalies. With Hiller and Fasth in NHL and with John Gibson probably in AHL next season it would be pretty hard for him in Anaheim.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Chicago's season in the AHL is over, but as of yet Nicklas Jensen hasn't been recalled - only Frankie Corrado has been recalled by the Canucks AFAIK...

I don't know why they'd leave him in Chicago, but it's still highly unlikely that the Canucks would allow him to go play in the WC as long as the Canucks are still in the playoffs.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Chicago's season in the AHL is over, but as of yet Nicklas Jensen hasn't been recalled - only Frankie Corrado has been recalled by the Canucks AFAIK...

I don't know why they'd leave him in Chicago, but it's still highly unlikely that the Canucks would allow him to go play in the WC as long as the Canucks are still in the playoffs.

Well Corrado Played an awesome game last night, so Jensen is going to have to get his act together. I don't see him getting a callup, so he's gonna have to sit tight.

He wont be goint to the WC either.

Andersen really must have an idiot of an agent. If he had stayed in Carolina he would have had his NHL debut several times over by now. Anaheim has to be the most crowded goaliewise, they have 4 potential NHL starters in their crop.

The Cruel Irony of moving away from Carolina because he felt the competetion was to much, and ends up in the most competitive place of all :laugh:

Carolina fans are huge questionmarks because of this, they could'ov used him by now :D

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Tonights action saw Jannik Hansen score (a lucky deflection?) in Vancouver's 3-1 win over Chicago. Otherwise no other danish points tonight.
Playoff in the east is very close between NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Washington and Winnipeg for 4 seats. Winnipeg is 1 point after 8'th position and with one game more, so toughest for them. BUT its Winnipeg vs Washington for lead in the southeast division next match.
In the west Phoenix seem to be out of the race after their 0-4 defeat to Detroit. It's between Minnesota, Columbus, Detroit and Dallas now for two seats. Looking pretty grim for Dallas though with 3 point up to 8'th place.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Tonights action saw Jannik Hansen score (a lucky deflection?) in Vancouver's 3-1 win over Chicago. Otherwise no other danish points tonight.
Playoff in the east is very close between NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Washington and Winnipeg for 4 seats. Winnipeg is 1 point after 8'th position and with one game more, so toughest for them. BUT its Winnipeg vs Washington for lead in the southeast division next match.
In the west Phoenix seem to be out of the race after their 0-4 defeat to Detroit. It's between Minnesota, Columbus, Detroit and Dallas now for two seats. Looking pretty grim for Dallas though with 3 point up to 8'th place.

Going for the double...

But you gotta look at their schedule :D They got BOTH Columbus and Detroit. As long as they "just" need to win against them - and get a point against San Jose - things are looking as bright as it has the last couple of weeks. Whether they're 8th defending or in 9th they've always needed a win in those games. They aren't the best bet of the three but they are essentially in the same place now as last week.

(If they get a point tonight) Those games are gonna be no-nail-games :laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Going for the double...

But you gotta look at their schedule :D They got BOTH Columbus and Detroit. As long as they "just" need to win against them - and get a point against San Jose - things are looking as bright as it has the last couple of weeks. Whether they're 8th defending or in 9th they've always needed a win in those games. They aren't the best bet of the three but they are essentially in the same place now as last week.

(If they get a point tonight) Those games are gonna be no-nail-games :laugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaand it's theory again :laugh:

Two Danish goals tonight. Didn't see the Lauridsen-one coming :laugh:

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well, Khudobin didn't see that coming either :laugh: I wonder why did you edit a smile in your post :sarcasm:

That has to be the weirdest goal I have seen in a long time.

I think it must be weird and a very ambivalent feeling to get that as ones 1st NHL goal. He owes a big thanks to Chara and Khudobin :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
That has to be the weirdest goal I have seen in a long time.

I think it must be weird and a very ambivalent feeling to get that as ones 1st NHL goal. He owes a big thanks to Chara and Khudobin :laugh:

So strange they don't register own goals (makes it so much easier for fans to find them again :sarcasm:). This was a good own goal and certainly not a deflection. Actually a double fumble from Chara and Khudobin. One a the ones to remember!
Still nothing beats the Japanese that saved Denmark in the A-group in 2004 by scoring in his own net deliberately thinking it was the danish goal.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
So strange they don't register own goals (makes it so much easier for fans to find them again :sarcasm:). This was a good own goal and certainly not a deflection. Actually a double fumble from Chara and Khudobin. One a the ones to remember!
Still nothing beats the Japanese that saved Denmark in the A-group in 2004 by scoring in his own net deliberately thinking it was the danish goal.

And the guy jumping up like he was celebrating... Classic!! :laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
And the guy jumping up like he was celebrating... Classic!! :laugh:

I haven't seen any hockey own goal come close to that one?! You see occasionally defenders fumbling it into their own net, but this guy actually thinks he scores on Denmark (for a second anyways, until he notice his own goalie)........gives a whole new idea of being left-right confused. :laugh: Since it was not in the NHL it's not so well known, but it should be :yo:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
That was more like it! Great shot from Lauridsen! :)

tumblr_inline_mfwsc5sygD1qfsf1o.gif

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
That was more like it! Great shot from Lauridsen! :)

Get's a game winning goal and first star of the match. Lauridsen is streaking....:yo:
Sadly for Islanders they fall to 8'th place now and Pittsburgh lurk in the playoffs for them. No points for Frans Nielsen that was -1.
Lars Eller got 2 assists in Montreal's win over Winnipeg, that determined which 8 teams go to the Stanley Cup in the east (Winnipeg being the loser there as 9'th).
Phillip Larsen and Jannik Hansen were without points and Peter Regin didn't play.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Watching the highlights of yesterdays games(Learned my lesson:sarcasm: )... Classy move by Gallagher interrupting his celebration to see if Eller's okay. Shows he actually want the guys around him to join in the celebration and notice when they're missing. Great game as far for Eller as far as the highlights show.

Pumped for the playoffs. Montreal, NYI, Nucks' having first priority. Ottawa second. Blue Jackets and St. Louis third... Let's get going! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad