Danault's advanced stats

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Danault's "Corsi close" numbers are near the top of the league. He's almost at 60%.

I've read articles talking about how important that stat is, so I'm wondering what we should take away from Danault's "Corsi close" number.

Does this mean he's becoming an elite shutdown player in tight situations, or is it just a product of a small sample size?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Sample size is definitely an issue since you're essentially cutting his ice time in half when you're looking at his corsi close (12 min avg TOI across all 5v5 situations, 7 min avg TOI when score is close), and he's only played 23 games.

By comparison, his corsi in all situations is 51% and in score adjusted is 53%.

Both are still pretty strong though, since he he has a ZSO%Rel in the -30s.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Small sample size but that line is really solid all around. They each play their role well and TT is a Top 6 talent to boot.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I want to see panik over Desi, but then maybe the role changes to score and they are not then as reliable.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
How did the hawks become so deep at center all of sudden? Toews, AA, Danault, and Kruger!

Two years removed from Toews, Zues, Shaw and Kruger.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Raz as well. Hasn't been flashy. But he has been good enough.
We also have Kero who wasn't horrible in his short stint up here.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Desi has been great

He is not, nor has he ever been, a to 9 forward in this league. Has he ever had even 10 goals. When he is hot, twice a year, we get some balance or a 4th line scoring. In the po he was hot and that line was better than they will normally be. Must get a career 4th liner off line 3.

What is he great at? He is reliable but we need scoring from line 3 and tt needs some skill to play with. Daunault is solid in every way in hockey except scoring production. Tough call on him on 3rd line but 24 has seemed to establish himself on this team. He is due for a point here this week.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He is not, nor has he ever been, a to 9 forward in this league. Has he ever had even 10 goals. When he is hot, twice a year, we get some balance or a 4th line scoring. In the po he was hot and that line was better than they will normally be. Must get a career 4th liner off line 3.

What is he great at? He is reliable but we need scoring from line 3 and tt needs some skill to play with. Daunault is solid in every way in hockey except scoring production. Tough call on him on 3rd line but 24 has seemed to establish himself on this team. He is due for a point here this week.

He is exceptional at using his speed and boardwork to create chances and keep the play in the other zone. Combined with his solid 2-way skills, he's pretty much an ideal 3rd or 4th line checker. He's been excellent at exactly the job he is being paid an absolute bargain salary to do.

Panik couldn't even consistently crack the lineup of a bad Toronto team. If you want to believe that his production is the result of anything other than a hilariously unsustainable 25% shooting percentage, then good luck to you.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Yeah, it was evident after two or three games in Q was putting him up against top lines to see what would come of it. He's played really well up against some of the best scorers the league has.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I too would like to see Desi on the 4th line..but I'm not sure Sekac or Panik are the ones that should replace him full time. Give them a try, and see what happens. But I know Desi should be on Kruger's wing when the playoffs start.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
He is exceptional at using his speed and boardwork to create chances and keep the play in the other zone. Combined with his solid 2-way skills, he's pretty much an ideal 3rd or 4th line checker. He's been excellent at exactly the job he is being paid an absolute bargain salary to do.

Panik couldn't even consistently crack the lineup of a bad Toronto team. If you want to believe that his production is the result of anything other than a hilariously unsustainable 25% shooting percentage, then good luck to you.

I want scoring from line 3 not 2 checking lines. Desi as u should know Is not the answer to a winger on a scoring line in the nhl. If u think he is slotted correctly and not being put in a slot well above his pay grade, well good luck to ya.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
I too would like to see Desi on the 4th line..but I'm not sure Sekac or Panik are the ones that should replace him full time. Give them a try, and see what happens. But I know Desi should be on Kruger's wing when the playoffs start.

Yes desi with 16 with one role, shut down scoring lines to not have 19 have to do it, same role as always. We need to have best "grinders" on 4 and at least a chance to score from 3. Shaw on 3, we need to scoring. Shaw tt with best c we have that can score

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I want scoring from line 3 not 2 checking lines. Desi as u should know Is not the answer to a winger on a scoring line in the nhl. If u think he is slotted correctly and not being put in a slot well above his pay grade, well good luck to ya.

He belongs in the bottom 6, which is where he is slotted. He's been playing very well.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
It is called not having redundant roles. But no since dragging this out. U want desi to score and slot him expecting him to. U r wasting your time with him on 3. He fits us on 4 with 16 and another solid player not named shaw.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
It is called not having redundant roles. But no since dragging this out. U want desi to score and slot him expecting him to. U r wasting your time with him on 3. He fits us on 4 with 16 and another solid player not named shaw.

I have no expectations that Desjardins will score a bunch.

He's excellent at driving possession and creating tons of chances, keeping the puck in the oppositions end and mitigating their time with the puck. Eventually he or his teammates will cash in, but more importantly the other team won't.

Ideally he's in a 4th line role. But right now, with Shaw on the top line, he's certainly the best, most effective bottom 6 LW we have.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'd like to see one of Sekac/Panik get a prolonged shot on that line to see if there's anything there for the future.

Desi is a good fourth line guy. He's not the kind of guy Teuvo is going to flourish playing with.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
I love Danault, but this is another example of a time where I read a fancy stat and shake my head.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
This begs the question: are tge Hawks a better team with 2 checking lines in the bottom 6 forwards or ought tge Hawks to be strive g to have a 3rd line depth that can score (like we did with Ladd Bolland and that 3rd line we had on the 2010 Cup team)?

Our current 3rd line is a joke compared to the trio we could ice on the 3rd line on that first of the 3 in 6 Cup squad...Danault should be the 4C where advanced stats /energy/ checking/ o-zone pressure and chewing up minutes without defensive liability is fine even if you cannot score a lick.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This begs the question: are tge Hawks a better team with 2 checking lines in the bottom 6 forwards or ought tge Hawks to be strive g to have a 3rd line depth that can score (like we did with Ladd Bolland and that 3rd line we had on the 2010 Cup team)?

Our current 3rd line is a joke compared to the trio we could ice on the 3rd line on that first of the 3 in 6 Cup squad...Danault should be the 4C where advanced stats /energy/ checking/ o-zone pressure and chewing up minutes without defensive liability is fine even if you cannot score a lick.

It does not beg to ask the question at all. The 3rd line is a scoring line that is creating opportunities but they are not going in right now. We run 3 scoring lines and a shutdown line and this is what makes up hard to handle.

Our 3rd line now is much more of a work in progress than the past 3 but talent wise it is up there. To say it is a joke is asinine. PD has the potential to be a top bottom 6 center in the league because his scoring should go up. Hell PD is already 3 times the offensive player MK is. TT is a top 6 player right now but is helping the team in this role. Desi is a good bottom 6 player. Our best 3rd line was last years Sharp-Vermy-TT line.

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
I love Danault, but this is another example of a time where I read a fancy stat and shake my head.

Or maybe you just don't understand "fancy stats"?

It's a small sample size yes, so Corsi does not mean quite as much as it would over a large sample size but I don't get the shake my head part when people say things like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad