News Article: Daly on transparency of the draft lottery

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
There's 1001 possible combinations that can come out of that system, and the listed combinations that each team get add up to 1000. That means there's one more combination out there that won't be claimed by a team.

It would be quite easy to eliminate one combination and assign the rest.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
You've seen the list?
The article posted listed how many combinations each team gets...that list added up to 1000 combinations.

EDIT: None of the percentages would be exactly right either, were there 1001 winning combinations. A team could never have exactly a 20% chance to win. It could be 19.98%. Yeah, that's close, and it may be splitting hairs, but considering those % are in the leagues bylaws and all, it'd probably be a good idea to adhere to them. And the team that got the extra combination point would be a whole tenth of a percentage point higher.

Last edited:

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The article posted listed how many combinations each team gets...that list added up to 1000 combinations.

EDIT: None of the percentages would be exactly right either, were there 1001 winning combinations. A team could never have exactly a 20% chance to win. It could be 19.98%. Yeah, that's close, and it may be splitting hairs, but considering those % are in the leagues bylaws and all, it'd probably be a good idea to adhere to them.

Can you link the article please?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Would fans rather see presentation like what I posted earlier - a slow number draw that takes a few minutes between draws, which reveals the winner after 4-5 minutes, or one draw done with 200 balls, Buffalo with 40, Arizona with 27, Edmonton with 23, etc so that it's a quick decision?

Slow number combination draw?

Quick one-ball winner?

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

EDIT: None of the percentages would be exactly right either, were there 1001 winning combinations. A team could never have exactly a 20% chance to win. It could be 19.98%. Yeah, that's close, and it may be splitting hairs, but considering those % are in the leagues bylaws and all, it'd probably be a good idea to adhere to them. And the team that got the extra combination point would be a whole tenth of a percentage point higher.

That's not exactly right...

It is actually the odds of winning the first draw, plus the odds of winning the 2nd draw, plus the odds of winning the 3rd draw, plus etc etc forever. This is represented by the following:

P= 200/1001 + 200/1001^2 + 200/1001^3 + 200/1001^4 + ...

And the sum of that infinite series is 20%.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
That's not exactly right...

It is actually the odds of winning the first draw, plus the odds of winning the 2nd draw, plus the odds of winning the 3rd draw, plus etc etc forever. This is represented by the following:

P= 200/1001 + 200/1001^2 + 200/1001^3 + 200/1001^4 + ...

And the sum of that infinite series is 20%.
I was saying if they assigned all 1001 combinations to the teams.

If they assign only 1000 of the 1001, the given NHL odds are correct (the sum of your infinite series is in fact 20.0% for Buffalo), but they run the (admittedly infinitesimally small) risk of having to keep redoing the draw when they pick the same unclaimed combination over and over again...which is why I wonder why they don't just draw three numbers from 0 to 9 (in different machines so numbers can repeat...or just throw the ball back in before drawing again), and make order matter (so you're basically drawing a 3 digit number from 000 to 999, of which there are exactly 1000). I don't get why they need to make this complicated, and insert a dead combination in the process.

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
Would fans rather see presentation like what I posted earlier - a slow number draw that takes a few minutes between draws, which reveals the winner after 4-5 minutes, or one draw done with 200 balls, Buffalo with 40, Arizona with 27, Edmonton with 23, etc so that it's a quick decision?

Slow number combination draw?

Quick one-ball winner?
I always assumed it was more of a raffle system with balls marked for each team, not numbered combinations...
Given that team logos vary in size and shape, the amount of ink used to mark each ball would also vary, thus varying the weight of each team's respective balls. How can we ensure the balls are truly equal? Labeling balls by 3 letter team designation would have the same effect. :help:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I always assumed it was more of a raffle system with balls marked for each team, not numbered combinations...
Given that team logos vary in size and shape, the amount of ink used to mark each ball would also vary, thus varying the weight of each team's respective balls. How can we ensure the balls are truly equal? Labeling balls by 3 letter team designation would have the same effect. :help:

I'm sure there are easy enough ways to keep the balls weighted the same. How are the balls weighted now in the current system, since 14 would seem to need more ink than 1?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... it isn't interesting television.
^&*^**%&$$*_)__++$$#@#$@ that!

Watching the balls drop on a million dollar lottery or a 1st overall pick is hugely interesting.

In contrast,... the opening an envelope BORE of recent drafts has been hard to stomach!!!!!!!!!!!

Propoganda 101: If you are going to lie make it a big lie, 'cuz it's easier to believe.

SabreBlood

Mar 31, 2012
Is it really hard to believe one of the four teams with the greatest odds won the lottery?
Isn't it odd that since 2005, three generational talents (Crosby, McDavid, Eichel) have been available at the top of two drafts, and prior to both of those drafts, the NHL has changed the lottery rules? Why might that be?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad