News Article: Daly on transparency of the draft lottery

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...-lottery-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel/70459464/

The draft lottery is televised, but the balls actually coming out of the machine — as you see in lottery shows — isn't shown because it isn't interesting television.

"It has nothing to do with transparency," deputy commissioner Bill Daly told USA TODAY Sports.

The NHL has shown a video describing the process on its website, but not many people have watched. Ernst and Young, the accounting firm that vouches for the integrity of trophy balloting, is on hand to make sure the draft lottery is conducted properly.

"All of the clubs participating are invited into the room (with the lottery machine)," Daly said. "They used to go, but they have stopped going."

The NHL is planning to release video of the lottery machine working because there is so much interest in this year's draft.

"You have some fan hysteria," Daly said. "I had an email (recently) from a Buffalo fan saying he wanted to be the Buffalo fan representative to observe the draft lottery. There is no doubt there is a higher focus on this draft."

Everyone can put away their conspiracy theories.

:sarcasm:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Hmm. And to think that Kevin Sylvester stated they didn't show the drawing of balls because some of the percentage odds are decimals. :huh:
:facepalm:

Edit
unless he meant: "because it isn't interesting television"

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
And here I was thinking they are delaying the lottery by four days because Daly needs extra time to maximize bribes. :facepalm:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Let's just pay off a producer at Sportsnet to switch the envelopes when Daly isn't looking.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I posted this on the main page a week or so ago...

That filmed presentation didn't make good TV, but the drawing still could...

1 - Post a chart with the number combinations assigned to each team so that all fans can view it.
2 - Draft lottery show opens with 20 mins of usual talk plus explanation of lottery process and odds.
3 - Broadcast that same video with a little more polish to it, and separate each number drawn by a few minutes.
4 - During the drawing, on the left side of the screen show all 14 teams.
5 - With each number drawn, show how each teams' winning % has changed.
6 - Gray out teams as balls 1-3 eliminate them.
7 - Leave the teams that are still alive high lighted.
8 - Ball four finally produces lottery winner after 5-6 minutes of pure drama.

That kind of presentation would be mind-numbing dope for 98% of hockey fans.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
"Planning to release video of the lottery machine working" actually is more conspicuous than nothing. Televized the lottery itself. Easy. It's such bad television that Yolanda Vega is set for life.

Instead, "well show you that we have a machine and record a demo run." That's MORE suspicious than if they'd said nothing. They're obviously still avoiding showing the thing itself.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Lottery machine by...

diebol-share.jpg

Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like that they use some economists from Wall Street to vouche for them. Basically the least trusted people in America.

They aren't "Wall Street economists", they are an auditing firm. Their business is to provide auditing services whether they be something like this or tax auditing. While no one or thing is infallible or fullproof, engaging a firm like Ernst & Young is basically the most anyone can do to ensure the integrity of the process.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
"Planning to release video of the lottery machine working" actually is more conspicuous than nothing. Televized the lottery itself. Easy. It's such bad television that Yolanda Vega is set for life.

Instead, "well show you that we have a machine and record a demo run." That's MORE suspicious than if they'd said nothing. They're obviously still avoiding showing the thing itself.

This thought process doesn't hold up because all lottery teams are represented in the room. They have a more direct stake in the events than you or I.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
They aren't "Wall Street economists", they are an auditing firm. Their business is to provide auditing services whether they be something like this or tax auditing. While no one or thing is infallible or fullproof, engaging a firm like Ernst & Young is basically the most anyone can do to ensure the integrity of the process.

Maybe not to your eyeballs...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

1 - Post a chart with the number combinations assigned to each team so that all fans can view it.
2 - Draft lottery show opens with 20 mins of usual talk plus explanation of lottery process and odds.
3 - Broadcast that same video with a little more polish to it, and separate each number drawn by a few minutes.

This. Exactly. The fact that the creative gurus at the NHL can't come up with something like this blows my mind

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Im not looking for entertainment during this process... just tell me the results so i can cheer my balls off or throw a remote thru the TV ...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
This thought process doesn't hold up because all lottery teams are represented in the room. They have a more direct stake in the events than you or I.

No one said that, actually. Daly made a point of saying they "don't bother" to come.

Again, it's not that I believe this is rigged. It's that the NHL projects the shadiest possible front, to the point where I almost want to doubt them against my better judgment.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What hasek said. I don't think it's rigged at all. But the NHLs certainly not doing anything to instill confidence in anyone

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

First off, it was a joke. But let's take it a step further. They are also economic advisors, advising their clients on how to make the most profit. I don't think I need to spell out how this is a conflict of interest.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
First off, it was a joke. But let's take it a step further. They are also economic advisors, advising their clients on how to make the most profit. I don't think I need to spell out how this is a conflict of interest.

It can only begin to be a conflict of interest if they're simultaneously engaged to provide both services.

No one said that, actually. Daly made a point of saying they "don't bother" to come.

Again, it's not that I believe this is rigged. It's that the NHL projects the shadiest possible front, to the point where I almost want to doubt them against my better judgment.

My mistake if I'm wrong. I thought representatives from teams were there based on what others have said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad