Dallas Stars 2015-2016

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Campbell being up with the big club is part wishful thinking, and part believing that he just needs to be pushed.

He's had a rough go this season with Texas, but I've stated all year he just needs confidence and that comes with playing. He'd get a game, then sit for up to 2 weeks. He could have helped himself by winning that game or at least playing well, but being stapled to the bench wasn't helping him at all. It sucked to see him go down to the ECHL, but clearly he just needed to play. He was stellar down there, and he's been pretty damn good since returning Feb 27. He's 7-5 with a .926 SV% (Stopping 389 of 420 shots) with one shutout. He's been the Jack Campbell he was previously, which is obviously good.

The next few months are up to him. He can prepare himself and have a strong camp. He needs to. The spot is for him to grab. Some times a goalie just needs to be thrown in to the fire so he can sink or swim.

I don't know who will be our starter if it's not Kari, but I just want a change there. Heck, maybe Jack is that guy (Not likely, but stranger things have happened). Regardless, I want change there.

As for Babcock, he's the best/smartest coach going. He's up there with the greats of the game like Scotty Bowman and Al Arbour. I like Ruff, but there's no way I hesitate to make that change should it be a possibility. Babcock would be a game-changer for this team.

I think most Stars fans want change in that position but Campbell is simply not going to be that guy next season. A sterling playoff performance could potentially warrant a call-up to back-up Kari, but I don't see that happening. Like I said earlier, Kari is going to be our starter next season, hopefully with a better goalie coach, and the best we can do to address the goalie situation is to acquire a better back-up than what we got in Lindback (quite a few options there). However, without a better defensive effort/personnel, results are likely to be the same next season, Kari's shoddy performance this season notwithstanding.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - X___ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
There'll be options available, I'm just not sure any are better than Kari even when he's off of his game.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Jussi Rynnas is blowing away Jack Campbell's numbers in Austin ... is Campbell really higher up in the pecking order?

2.52 GAA ... 20-5-8 ... 0.919
3.11 GAA ... 11-14-7 ... 0.905

tjcurrie's plan for the summer sounds all well and good but if you're hoping Campbell can one day replace Kari, wouldn't he be better served with a full season as the starter in Austin? Give him 55 games down there as the unquestionable #1 and continue to grow his game.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Jussi Rynnas is blowing away Jack Campbell's numbers in Austin ... is Campbell really higher up in the pecking order?

tjcurrie's plan for the summer sounds all well and good but if you're hoping Campbell can one day replace Kari, wouldn't he be better served with a full season as the starter in Austin? Give him 55 games down there as the unquestionable #1 and continue to grow his game.

He's got to earn that starting position first. Just giving it to him is probably only going to make things worse.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Apparently, Jack has been much better since his ECHL stint. Hopefully it was a wake-up call and he'll be better for it, but I'm probably not going to be holding my breath. But yeah, he probably shouldn't be given an NHL backup job next fall. He has one more year of waiver immunity and I suspect it will be used.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

Apparently, Jack has been much better since his ECHL stint. Hopefully it was a wake-up call and he'll be better for it, but I'm probably not going to be holding my breath. But yeah, he probably shouldn't be given an NHL backup job next fall. He has one more year of waiver immunity and I suspect it will be used.

That's what it is, "hope". I'm a big Campbell fan, but you eventually have to just give these guys a chance - your younger up and coming goalies. Look at what Hammond is doing in Ottawa. Dude's AHL numbers were horrible. He was thrown in to the fire and now Ottawa could darn well make it. Who knows, we may never hear of the guy again after this season or next, it could be just another Blaine Lacher/Jim Carey kind of story, but maybe not.

Quick, Price, Fleury. These guys didn't spend much time in the AHL. Price especially. They were just brought up and matured at the NHL level. Both Price and Fleury, being high draft picks, have taken a lot of heat over the years during development. Price took a steady incline to the point he's at now, Fleury kind of up and down.

This is going back a bit, but Patrick Roy played all of 1 game in the AHL with Sherbrooke before being brought up. He was a 51st overall draft pick. After putting up a 3.35 GAA over 47 regular season games, the guy took a decent Canadiens team on an unexpected run to a Cup, winning the Conn Smythe in the process. There was no due-process there. No honing his skills in the AHL. He was just thrown in to the fire.

You never know what a goalie will do. I don't like the idea of stifling Campbell and leaving him in the AHL just because he had a rough go for a good chunk of this season. Or placing limits on him that he "needs" to spend a full season in the AHL as the starter before he's brought up. Why? That's not a prerequisite, obviously. Would have been nice to see this season, but it didn't happen.

I hope he's given a shot next camp, and how he looks then is the deciding factor. If he looks good, no reason why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Kind of like what people say about having kids. They say you're never fully ready, you have to just dive in and the rest will take care of itself. That's what I'd like to see with Campbell. Give him his shot. Let him battle at the NHL level. I'm not saying make him the starter, but let him roll with the big club and get some games in.

And yes, since returning Feb 27 he's been excellent. Stopping 389 of 420 shots for a .926 SV%, including 1 shutout.

Last edited:

LT

Jul 23, 2010
Am I wrong in thinking we should try and get him into one of the next two games?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Was interested in the broadcast comments that Enroth is playing hard to solidify his chances of coming back as a backup. I was under the impression that he would be looking for a starters job in UFA, or at least a 1A, 1B type situation.

Honestly, he looks good enough that maybe we can finally limit Kari's games. I do think there is some big game meltdown in Kari, but I also get the impression that he was playing well in the final stretch until he tired out (again). Hopefully, Enroth, or another near starter/starter on a bad team will actually be employed next year to really, really give Kari a rest and play a well spaced 60 games max.

How many years can two GM's struggle with Kari being over played? Kari may be in decline, but we probably have to keep him, and this has been a problem known long enough to finally solve it.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
That's what it is, "hope". I'm a big Campbell fan, but you eventually have to just give these guys a chance - your younger up and coming goalies. Look at what Hammond is doing in Ottawa. Dude's AHL numbers were horrible. He was thrown in to the fire and now Ottawa could darn well make it. Who knows, we may never hear of the guy again after this season or next, it could be just another Blaine Lacher/Jim Carey kind of story, but maybe not.

Quick, Price, Fleury. These guys didn't spend much time in the AHL. Price especially. They were just brought up and matured at the NHL level. Both Price and Fleury, being high draft picks, have taken a lot of heat over the years during development. Price took a steady incline to the point he's at now, Fleury kind of up and down.

This is going back a bit, but Patrick Roy played all of 1 game in the AHL with Sherbrooke before being brought up. He was a 51st overall draft pick. After putting up a 3.35 GAA over 47 regular season games, the guy took a decent Canadiens team on an unexpected run to a Cup, winning the Conn Smythe in the process. There was no due-process there. No honing his skills in the AHL. He was just thrown in to the fire.

You never know what a goalie will do. I don't like the idea of stifling Campbell and leaving him in the AHL just because he had a rough go for a good chunk of this season. Or placing limits on him that he "needs" to spend a full season in the AHL as the starter before he's brought up. Why? That's not a prerequisite, obviously. Would have been nice to see this season, but it didn't happen.

I hope he's given a shot next camp, and how he looks then is the deciding factor. If he looks good, no reason why he shouldn't be given a chance.

Kind of like what people say about having kids. They say you're never fully ready, you have to just dive in and the rest will take care of itself. That's what I'd like to see with Campbell. Give him his shot. Let him battle at the NHL level. I'm not saying make him the starter, but let him roll with the big club and get some games in.

And yes, since returning Feb 27 he's been excellent. Stopping 389 of 420 shots for a .926 SV%, including 1 shutout.

I've always favored a more cautious approach with regards to all prospects of all positions and perhaps that may stem from my being a bit on the pessimistic side. But I do like the “never fully ready†idea and I think there can be some value to a baptism by fire strategy for player development in some cases, especially if the more typical route has encountered speed bumps.

I’m really concerned with the Stars goaltending next year though, I think the Stars are a well above average team that is being held back by the goalies. If Kari were coming off a stronger year then I would be a bit more open to the idea of an open competition which Jack could be a part of. That way if he experiment did fail, we’d still have a horse to take on the big workload. Now if the experiment were to fail and Kari can't bounce back, we’d be in the same situation as we are right now. I feel like the Stars are just too talented of a team, and it would be a real shame to finish outside of the playoffs as a result of goaltending for the second year in a row. I just really don’t want to see another experiment this year, it’s just too much of a risk for me to be comfortable with at such an important position.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Am I wrong in thinking we should try and get him into one of the next two games?

We've got nothing left to lose so yeah, I'd like to see that. It would be nice to see him start the Anaheim game and likely get a better effort in front of him this year than he did last. If he is able to play well, then give him Nashville as well. If he can't play well then he'll still be back in time to start in CP on the 11th. Tough teams to play against though.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Kari this season has worst Save Percentage of his career.

That tells me he should rebound next season. Just like rest of this team, he needs to realize that they can't always win games 5-4. He needs to tighten his game and I know he can do that.

Then coach needs to NOT play him in back-to-back games. That can definitely tire out a goalie. At 31 Kari should slowly be playing fewer games each season. If they can re-sign Enroth and have Kari play more like 55-60 games that will help him!

Finally, the D should be better next season. They all have added 1 year of experience this season. A better D will help Kari as well.

If all that happens I see Kari returning to a .915 SV% or so.

LT

Jul 23, 2010
I'm fine with rolling with Kari and seeing if he gets back on track.

Wouldn't be upset at all though if we go all in on Dubnyk, should he become available.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta

No. You're exactly right in fact. I'd love to see it. Only reason not to would be to keep him fresh and not throw him off any for the boys down on the farm. Certainly would love to see it though.

I've always favored a more cautious approach with regards to all prospects of all positions and perhaps that may stem from my being a bit on the pessimistic side. But I do like the “never fully ready†idea and I think there can be some value to a baptism by fire strategy for player development in some cases, especially if the more typical route has encountered speed bumps.

I’m really concerned with the Stars goaltending next year though, I think the Stars are a well above average team that is being held back by the goalies. If Kari were coming off a stronger year then I would be a bit more open to the idea of an open competition which Jack could be a part of. That way if he experiment did fail, we’d still have a horse to take on the big workload. Now if the experiment were to fail and Kari can't bounce back, we’d be in the same situation as we are right now. I feel like the Stars are just too talented of a team, and it would be a real shame to finish outside of the playoffs as a result of goaltending for the second year in a row. I just really don’t want to see another experiment this year, it’s just too much of a risk for me to be comfortable with at such an important position.

I think we've been fairly cautious. These are the numbers, the amount of AHL games each of the mentioned goalies has played in:

Carey Price: 12
Jonathan Quick: 38
M.A. Fleury: 71
Jack Campbell: 100
Ben Bishop: 175

Overall, he's been excellent. Rough go for a good chunk this season, for whatever reason, but given the number of games as compared to the others, I don't know if he needs more.

Now every player is different. Maybe he's not NHL-ready, but I don't think any of the other 3 who played less were either. They were eased in. Their games became more NHL-ready as they went. Now Price and Quick are likely the top 2 goalies in the league. Two of the top few anyways.

It will be up to Jack though. If he comes in to camp ill-prepared, and disappoints, then the chances he's brought along with the big boys (to start the season anyways) is slim to none. He needs to show up prepared, and he needs to show and prove. We can't predict that, but I do think that for his development he needs NHL action now. He may not be great at first, but he needs to be brought along here at some point. I think that point is now. I'm hoping to see it.

Verbal Kint

Oct 9, 2007
Goligoski is a solid second pairing defenseman and surprisingly good at defending, but please god Jim Nill, acquire someone who would take his spot on the powerplay. His decision making is way too slow for him to have a spot on either of our PP units. He just isn't good enough for that.

Imagine Mike Green there on his spot. Would love to have him.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think we've been fairly cautious. These are the numbers, the amount of AHL games each of the mentioned goalies has played in:

Carey Price: 12
Jonathan Quick: 38
M.A. Fleury: 71
Jack Campbell: 100
Ben Bishop: 175

Overall, he's been excellent. Rough go for a good chunk this season, for whatever reason, but given the number of games as compared to the others, I don't know if he needs more.

Now every player is different. Maybe he's not NHL-ready, but I don't think any of the other 3 who played less were either. They were eased in. Their games became more NHL-ready as they went. Now Price and Quick are likely the top 2 goalies in the league. Two of the top few anyways.

It will be up to Jack though. If he comes in to camp ill-prepared, and disappoints, then the chances he's brought along with the big boys (to start the season anyways) is slim to none. He needs to show up prepared, and he needs to show and prove. We can't predict that, but I do think that for his development he needs NHL action now. He may not be great at first, but he needs to be brought along here at some point. I think that point is now. I'm hoping to see it.

I’m cautious more-so from the team’s perspective as opposed to just the player’s perspective. I've never really liked giving a large role to non-blue chip prospects in fear of having them disappoint and then being left out in the cold without any other viable options. I think backup goalie could very well be a really crucial position for the Stars next year given Kari’s struggles.

If you want to give Jack a legit shot, than that likely means that you’re going to camp with him, Jussi and potentially another goalie who is of questionable NHL talent. That scares the crap out of me. I want Dallas to get a bit more stability behind Kari, I think that would be the best course of action if we want the Stars to make the playoffs next year.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that Jack has been excellent overall. If he had, then I wouldn't have many concerns with playing him in the NHL.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Goligoski is a solid second pairing defenseman and surprisingly good at defending, but please god Jim Nill, acquire someone who would take his spot on the powerplay. His decision making is way too slow for him to have a spot on either of our PP units. He just isn't good enough for that.

Imagine Mike Green there on his spot. Would love to have him.

It would be a waste having Green for the 2nd unit. I don't know how much an average 2nd unit scores or whether we are below average, but there are bigger problems both on the team and on that unit.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt

Quick, Price, Fleury. Roy. No honing his skills in the AHL. He was just thrown in to the fire.

Well then let's just follow the Patrick Roy template for guaranteed goalie success haha :D

Goalie development is so stop-and-start that you're right, there's no telling. And if he shows up in Dallas in September and blows everyone away then keep him up. Just remember that Roy, Quick, Price and Fleury jumped right to the NHL and STARTED. If you guys have so soured on Kari that you want to trade him or buy him out and roll the dice with Campbell next year ........... more power to you, good luck. But it seems silly to bring Campbell up full time and only play him 25 games when you could have him playing double that in Austin. Dominating in the AHL isn't a prerequisite to dominating in the NHL, but it's certainly another item to check off the list, and it's one Campbell hasn't done yet.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Both Quick and Price played about half the games in their first seasons.

Quick played 3 the season before, but we won't count that. Campbell has one under his belt too.

Fleury played 21, then 50.

Different circumstances call for different situations.

Kings weren't a very good team. Erik Ersberg and Jason LaBarbera were the other goalies there. To give a guy like Quick half the season + wasn't a huge risk, a good time to do it actually.

The Habs when Price was brought up and played half the season, they finished 1st in the division with 104 points. The year previous they finished with 90 points and just missed the playoffs. The other goalies were Cristobal Huet and Jaroslav Halak, Price and Huet playing the bulk. Both goalies with similar numbers and wins. Price obviously came in and proved himself, garnering him more action than what they maybe even figured he'd be getting.

The Penguins were obviously a poor team when Fleury was brought up. I'm not going to go look things up or provide numbers, we know they were bad still at that point.

As for us, sure, we're wanting to improve. We're not rebuilding, we're not just trying to be competitive, nothing less than a playoff spot and some playoff success next season will do. I get the hesitance to bring a rookie goalie up in to that situation.

Say our starter is better next season (whether Kari or someone else), and our defense is improved, can Campbell really be worse than or even as bad as the backups we've been rolling with recently? If the guy wins us 7 of 20 that's a major improvement.

In a perfect world, we have a competent goalie who we can look at to play 60-65 games. In a perfect world, we also have a competent backup who can play those 20 or so games and be around .500. Just like Price stole games with his play during his rookie season, who knows, maybe Jack can do the same and the balance isn't as heavily weighted? Maybe more of a 65/35.

I don't know who either of those goalies will be. I'm just saying that the door should be open for Campbell, not closed just because of some imaginary guideline for goalies to follow before they can succeed in the NHL.

Overall he has been excellent in the AHL. That's of course cutting out a chunk of this season where he was off and not playing much. He's been great since his return from the ECHL too.

I suppose we will just have to see what the summer brings, and see who comes to camp ready to play.

Goalie A - 35-17-4
Jack Campbell - 13-9-4

Stars record - 48-26-8

Jack goes on a Patrick Roy 1986 playoff run for us

Book it ;)

Last edited:

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I think James Reimer would be someone we look at realistically. Likely to form a tandem with Kari. I believe his price tag is between 2 and 2.5 and runs out after next season.

Klingberg

Feb 25, 2015
Hamilton, ON
Retooling the Stars over summer (how I would do it)

UFA's to let walk

S.Horcoff
P.Eaves
J.Enroth
R.Peverly

UFA's to target

G.Campbell
D.Paille
P.Martin
J.Petry
C.Johnson

Trades to make prior to the draft

Carolina: A. Goligoski(2 yrs)
Dallas: 3rd round pick

Buffalo/ New Jersey: T.Daley(2 yrs)
Dallas: 3rd round pick

Winnipeg: V.Nichuskin, Buf/NJ 3rd round pick
Dallas: Byfuglien, Winn 1st round pick 2015

Trades after draft day

Montreal: C.Eakin
Dallas: L.Eller

Detroit: K.Lethonen, J.Jokipakka, 3rd round pick 2016
Dallas: J.Howard

Draft Day:

Scenerio #1

Dallas 1st round pick - Ivon Provorov/ Zack Werenski
Dallas(Winnipeg) 1st round pick - Jordan Greenway/ MacKenzie Blackwood.

Scenerio #2

Dallas 1 round pick, Dallas(winnipeg) 1st round pick, Julius Honka

In return the #1 overall draft pick to select Connor McDavid

Scenerio #2 works if they plan to play McDavid with rookie minutes and not top line minutes let him develop on a secondary line.

Opening Day Roster would look like

Benn-Seguin-Spezza
Hemsky-Eller-Roussell
Paille-Campbell-Sceviour
Garbutt-Fiddler-Moen
Ritchie

Klingberg-Byfuglien
Demers-Petry
Nemeth-Martin

Howard
Johnson

With McDavid

Benn-Seguin-Roussell
Hemsky-McDavid-Spezza
Paille-Campbell-Eller
Garbutt-Fiddler-Sceviour
Ritchie/Moen

Klingberg-Byfuglien
Demers-Petry
Nemeth-Martin

Howard
Johnson

What does everyone think. Scenerio #2 won't happen its just the "What if" factor.

I like scenerio #1 though

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
UFA's to let walk

J.Enroth

UFA's to target

C.Erhoff
J.Petry
Offer sheet D.Hamilton for $5,000,000-6,000,000 which will cost a 2016 first, 2015 second, 2015 third (not sure if compensation right)
K.Ramo
A.Niemi

Trades:

Trevor Daley to Oilers for MTL 2015 Second

Ryan Garbutt for anything

Draft Day:

Dallas 1st round pick - if they fall Ivon Provorov/ Zack Werenski else Lawson Crouse

Opening Day Roster

Benn-Seguin-Eaves
Nichushkin-Spezza-Hemsky
Rousell-Eakin-Ritchie
Horcoff-Fiddler-Mckenzie
Moen

Goligoski-Hamilton/Petry/Erhoff
Nemeth-Klingberg
Oleksiak/Jokipakka-Demers
Benn

Lehtonen 1A
Niemi/Ramo 1B

I don't think this team needs a massive overhaul to get back into the playoffs, just a couple additions such as a top 2 dman which is going to be hard to find and if Nill gets one that's amazing, and a goalie who can start around 30 games.

Offense is top 2 in the NHL so that definitely doesn't need much adjusting other then getting Garbutt the hell out of Dallas

Along with all our young players especially that young d corps getting one more year of experience, I think we'll be back in playoffs

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Trading both Goligoski and Daley for 3rd round picks at the draft may be the funniest thing I've seen on these forums in a long, long time.

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
That value is way off for McDavid. Daley/Goligoski should get us more than just a 3rd easily. Greg Campbell should not be a 3rd line center on this squad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad