Prospect Info: Dallas Stars 2014-15 Prospect Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Do you expect super originality from team nicknames? It's tough to come up with something fitting and cool sounding but it's easy to look at other teams you think are good and slightly change their setup.

Look at all the other teams in SHL. They don't have Americanized logos or names.

Simply "City +HC/IF/HF"

Frolunda is known as Frolunda HC but their logo sports their team nickname. Which is strange for Sweden. I'm not sure how many do but it's in the minority.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Look at all the other teams in SHL. They don't have Americanized logos or names.

Simply "City +HC/IF/HF"

Frolunda is known as Frolunda HC but their logo sports their team nickname. Which is strange for Sweden. I'm not sure how many do but it's in the minority.

I bet they have nicknames though. Soccer clubs are full of random nicknames despite being named "City" FC/ FC "City" or SV or AC etc. Somebody's the herrings, somebody's the polar bears, somebody's the vikings, somebody's the lingenberries, and then what's left? It doesn't take much for some owner to decide Hull City is now Hull City Tigers.

Hwales

Oct 12, 2014
On the Frolunda Indians - I'm pretty sure I read that it's because the Swedish ships that went to their colony in North America in the 1600s started their journey in Gothenberg (Where Frolunda is based). So the name is based in the history of that city.

I think.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Frölunda Indians was once called Västra Frölunda, i.e West Frölunda. My father grew up in West Frölunda and back then it was called the Wild West because of a lot of troubles there. Västra Frölunda also had(has) a soccer team and they were both part of the same org. As they broke with that org they changed name to Indians.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
On the Frolunda Indians - I'm pretty sure I read that it's because the Swedish ships that went to their colony in North America in the 1600s started their journey in Gothenberg (Where Frolunda is based). So the name is based in the history of that city.

I think.

You're right for the most part. Nice catch. But it's a lot simpler than that as I explained in the previous post.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Their logo and color scheme are pretty sharp too.

5433.jpg

Dallas loves drafting out of Frolunda. They've taken several prospects out of that organization.

Think Jim Nill is a big part of that. I know he had a good eye for Janmark when in Detroit.

As for Frölunda, It helps attract great prospects when you have Roger Rönnberg as head coach. He was head coach for team Swedens WJHC Gold medal team in 2012. Swedens first Gold in 31 years. :laugh:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

I think.

Frölunda Indians was once called Västra Frölunda, i.e West Frölunda. My father grew up in West Frölunda and back then it was called the Wild West because of a lot of troubles there. Västra Frölunda also had(has) a soccer team and they were both part of the same org. As they broke with that org they changed name to Indians.

You're right for the most part. Nice catch. But it's a lot simpler than that as I explained in the previous post.

Interesting stuff. I figured there was some background issue to select the nickname instead of pulling it out of a hat. You learn something new each day.

Timani

Yeah, thanks guys, I had no idea why a team in Sweden would be called the Indians.

I know why Minnesota is the Vikings, because of who settled there, just didn't think it went the other way. I appreciate my Nordic brothers for the explanations.

Funny though, I originally thought of Native Americans, figured that wasn't right and went to Indians from India, but KNEW that wasn't correct, and settled back on American Indians, haha.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Thanks for the explanation guys. That's definitely interesting, never knew that. It never even occurred to me that it was strange for them to be named the Indians honestly.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Yeah, thanks guys, I had no idea why a team in Sweden would be called the Indians.

I know why Minnesota is the Vikings, because of who settled there, just didn't think it went the other way. I appreciate my Nordic brothers for the explanations.

Funny though, I originally thought of Native Americans, figured that wasn't right and went to Indians from India, but KNEW that wasn't correct, and settled back on American Indians, haha.
Happy to help. TGIF. Have a nice weekend, guys.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Devin Shore with another goal tonight!

Oleksiak keeps racking up the points in the A as well.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
That tells me that they don't have very good prospects haha. Nick Paul is good, but to be someone's #1?

My first thoughts, too, but apparently he has been blooming lately, too. Holy crap, though, if between Niewys low picks and all of Nills picks, maybe our system is really deep. That said, the same issue of Future Watch didn't rank our prospect system all that highly. Even called Dickenson a marginal prospect, so there are differences of opinion out there.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
My first thoughts, too, but apparently he has been blooming lately, too. Holy crap, though, if between Niewys low picks and all of Nills picks, maybe our system is really deep. That said, the same issue of Future Watch didn't rank our prospect system all that highly. Even called Dickenson a marginal prospect, so there are differences of opinion out there.

Most major "prospect" gurus consistently rate our prospects low, and Dallas continues to pump out NHLers. I'm perfectly fine seeing the experts trash our depth year after year only to see the NHL team promote or flip the talent into NHLers over and over.

They continue to look silly and rarely acknowledge their bias.

Regarding Paul ... the ranking is a joke IMO. They have him listed as a 7.0B just barely below Lazar's 7.5B. That's baloney that's he's nearly as sure a thing as Lazar. Hockey's Future's writers IMO aren't consistent across the board, and in many cases with the more popular teams you have fan's of those team's writing for them and overestimating their prospects.

I think we're luckily to have a guy like Farkas that isn't a Stars fan and does his best to be unbiased about the prospects, but he works his ass of to watch the players or talk to reputable sources about the guys he can't see as much.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Janmark selected for team Sweden's WHC squad. Not sure if he is on try-out or not. The forward depth isn't all that good so I think his chances of making it is pretty decent.
He'll be on the team playing against Czech Rep. on Friday(17) and Sunday(19).

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Most major "prospect" gurus consistently rate our prospects low, and Dallas continues to pump out NHLers. I'm perfectly fine seeing the experts trash our depth year after year only to see the NHL team promote or flip the talent into NHLers over and over.

They continue to look silly and rarely acknowledge their bias.

Regarding Paul ... the ranking is a joke IMO. They have him listed as a 7.0B just barely below Lazar's 7.5B. That's baloney that's he's nearly as sure a thing as Lazar. Hockey's Future's writers IMO aren't consistent across the board, and in many cases with the more popular teams you have fan's of those team's writing for them and overestimating their prospects.

I think we're luckily to have a guy like Farkas that isn't a Stars fan and does his best to be unbiased about the prospects, but he works his ass of to watch the players or talk to reputable sources about the guys he can't see as much.

Agreed. Paul is definitely not their best prospect and I'm not sure how they can even rate him there with Lazar still around, as BigG pointed out. Good prospect, yes, not sure he's great though.

Mike really is a great writer for us. Not sure he's ever been biased, tries to keep our expectations realistic, and he really does put in a ton of work to watch and evaluate everyone. Not sure we could get much better than that.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Maybe Sens fans just want to feel better about the trade. They should....Spezza was okay but not world beating (our old 2C out goaled him) and they made the playoffs with a younger, cheaper squad while Stars didn't.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Because of ELC rules, unless he can demonstrate he can have an immediate, Klingberg type impact, it's doubtful he'll play more than 9 games.

Given how close we are to a potential major pay raise for Klingberg this season and then Benn very soon, delaying Honka's 2nd contract another season could be extremely valuable.

Besides, a reasonable argument could be made that top pair AHL minutes would be more beneficial to him than reduced NHL minutes with likely minimal or no special teams time.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Because of ELC rules, unless he can demonstrate he can have an immediate, Klingberg type impact, it's doubtful he'll play more than 9 games.

Given how close we are to a potential major pay raise for Klingberg this season and then Benn very soon, delaying Honka's 2nd contract another season could be extremely valuable.

Besides, a reasonable argument could be made that top pair AHL minutes would be more beneficial to him than reduced NHL minutes with likely minimal or no special teams time.

Yeah, if it was up to me, I'd have him marinate in the AHL for another full season as well.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
AHL updates

Both Dickinson and Ully picked up an assist in their AHL debut.

Yesterday Dickinson added 2 more assists. 2GP 0G 3A 3PTS

Honka scored another goal yesterday as well.

On Friday the T-Stars begin their best of 5 series with the Rockford IceHogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad