Dallas stars 13th pick

Assuming nobody falls to us , who should we pick at 13?

• Barrett Hayton

• Jesperi Kotkaniemi

• Vitali Kravtsov

• Ty Smith

• Rasmus Kupari

• Bode Wilde

• Igor Denisenko

• Rasmus Sandin

• Issac lundestrom

• Martin kaut

• Jared macissac

• Jonatan Berggren

• Other player not listed above

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Kotkaniemi would be great, but I don't see him falling to us at this point. I personally am not a huge fan of Hayton but wouldn't hate the pick. I like Veleno a lot and wouldnt mind him if he is available. I think out of those 3 that Hayton is most likely to be available at our pick. Really hope one of the others is though

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Kotkaniemi would be great, but I don't see him falling to us at this point. I personally am not a huge fan of Hayton but wouldn't hate the pick. I like Veleno a lot and wouldnt mind him if he is available. I think out of those 3 that Hayton is most likely to be available at our pick. Really hope one of the others is though
I understand not being huge on Hayton if you haven’t seen him recently . He didn’t get to play in under 18 s because he’s still in the playoffs or he would have turned some heads . He’s playing unreal for the greyhounds in the playoffs right now . By far there most dominant player and they have Morgan frost , Boris katchouk and Taylor raddysh on there team. I see him as a major steal at 13 . It’s very tight between a few players for me though . The Jim’s have a tough decision ahead of them .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Everything I've seen about Kotkaniemi makes me hope for him. McKenzie said at 10, he was pretty interchangeable with 11-13. He had a big U-18. I get that feeling he could shoot up like OEL, Fiala, and Ehlers have in the past.

Dallas still has some times to his team Ässät. They've had guys with them not that long ago.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
This is a weird poll because if Kotkaniemi is there at 13 we 1000% and I would consider that a faller.

I want Koktaniemi or Veleno if they are there. If not then I want whichever top 10 D man fell to us and if the draft goes consensus all the way through then give me Kupari or Hayton.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
This is a weird poll because if Kotkaniemi is there at 13 we 1000% and I would consider that a faller.

I want Koktaniemi or Veleno if they are there. If not then I want whichever top 10 D man fell to us and if the draft goes consensus all the way through then give me Kupari or Hayton.
how is it weird ? most rankings have him between 10 and 18 .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

He's probably referring to latest buzz. There's some talk that Montreal could take him. The people I've seen talking about it in the media pointed to other recent off the board picks by the Habs + their desperate need for a center.

You are right though that no one has him rated that high. If he went three, that would be a big jump, but like I said earlier, I could see lack of centers and his huge U18 make a team jump the gun early. I don't know that I would consider him falling if he made it to 13 just because of some reports out of Montreal, but at this point I would be surprised. There's always seems to be a guy like him in the draft that gets a big bump late in the year.

Reactions: Bfantz

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I voted Kravtsov.

Seeing what hes done in the khl playoffs as a kid says to me he could be an exciting young star in this league

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I voted Kravtsov.

Seeing what hes done in the khl playoffs as a kid says to me he could be an exciting young star in this league

I had noticed his numbers and thought they seemed impressive. I didn't think much about it. Your comment made me curious where his post-season ranks. Since he's a late birth, this was technically his U19 year. He's number 1. When you push it to all U20 so guys 1 year older than him, he's still the top scorer. When you push it to U21, so guys 2 years older than him, he gets pushed to 2nd by Tarasenko who had 16 points (5 more than Kravtsov) in 15 games. Kravtsov had 11 points in 16 games.

It's impressive for sure. The only reason though I wouldn't write him off is Dallas does like to go off the board. They really didn't the last 2 years though. Tufte went right where everyone pretty much expected. Heiskanen was in that 3-5 range. Even though there were some falling players I think many wanted, Oettinger was taken right where must expected. There last off the board pick though was another Russian in Gurianov. You just have a lot of left shot right wings already. Definitely should take BPA, but looking at those centers, that seems like the likely best players in that area of the early teens.

I know nothing about the guy, but it was nice to see Elite Prospects describe him as an all around player. They said he could be better back checking, but he plays well in his own end and takes away plays.

Reactions: catters078

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Really glad you got me to go down this rabbit hole. This goal is amazing. Pass to himself between his legs before beating the goalie.

Reactions: Benneguin

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Really glad you got me to go down this rabbit hole. This goal is amazing. Pass to himself between his legs before beating the goalie.

Has some real highlight reel plays.

Id definitely be on board with kotkaniemi or veleno..but if they are gone id like kravtsov

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
For me it’s very close between kotkaniemi and Kravtsov when looking at there ceilings but I feel there’s a little bit of risk with those players . Hayton and Veleno are both very safe picks that will pretty much gaurentee us an nhl center in a year or 2 . It’s been a while since we made a safe pick that early in the draft . Don’t see Veleno falling to us though , and I bet Hayton and kotkaniemi get picked at 11 and 12 . In that case I’d definately wouldn’t mind Kravtsov .

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Lack of centers in the the draft + general need for centers makes me think there is just no way Veleno or Kotka are there at 13

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So the Atlantic just released it's Top 100 draft list, and I was surprised Hayton was down in the mid-20's. The write up insinuated he was a dump and chase player who has the skills to more, but to this point he's defaulted to the more talented players on the team. The write up on Veleno sounded great.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Look I like Kravstov but I think Denisenko is the better player. Really impressive skater, great vision and uses it to find open ice all the time. Kids got hands and he can use them at high speed.

I 100% believe Denisenko gets picked before Kravstov.

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
Look I like Kravstov but I think Denisenko is the better player. Really impressive skater, great vision and uses it to find open ice all the time. Kids got hands and he can use them at high speed.

I 100% believe Denisenko gets picked before Kravstov.
Kravstov is more skilled and better shooter everything what we need

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
So the Atlantic just released it's Top 100 draft list, and I was surprised Hayton was down in the mid-20's. The write up insinuated he was a dump and chase player who has the skills to more, but to this point he's defaulted to the more talented players on the team. The write up on Veleno sounded great.
I’ve been watching hayton closely , been to a few of the hounds playoff games and he does like to get the puck deep and work the cycle but he’s phenomenal at it and he’s incredibly hard to knock off the puck . He also has better hands than half of dallas current roster . Would be shocked if he drops that far .

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Sounds like he (Hayton) would have been the right choice if Hitch was going to be around the five more years it might take Nill to let him come to the NHL.

Read the Atlantic article, too, and my take was Whalstrom (5) and Kotkaniemi (9) will likely be gone, and Velano or Kravtsov seem like the best fits for the Stars needs (C/RW with goal scoring talent.) Of course, Nill would have a tendency to go with the slightly lower ranked Russian, so that is my prediction. Or, since he likes to pick off the board, Denisenko might be a probable pick, too.

Of course, many of you guys watch these guys in international or junior tournaments. My prospect knowledge is simply gleamed from various rankings and reports, so I am far from an expert.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I have not paid that much attention to the draft this year but is there any benefit for Dallas to move from the 13th pick to maybe the top 10?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad