Dallas stars 13th pick

Assuming nobody falls to us , who should we pick at 13?

• Barrett Hayton

• Jesperi Kotkaniemi

• Vitali Kravtsov

• Ty Smith

• Rasmus Kupari

• Bode Wilde

• Igor Denisenko

• Rasmus Sandin

• Issac lundestrom

• Martin kaut

• Jared macissac

• Jonatan Berggren

• Other player not listed above

Results are only viewable after voting.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I have not paid that much attention to the draft this year but is there any benefit for Dallas to move from the 13th pick to maybe the top 10?
Top 10 is loaded with good defenseman , I doubt anyone will trade down and we should still get a good player at 13 . I would love to see us move our second round pick up to a late first or early second rounder though . There’s a bit of a drop around 35-40 range .

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
What about Farabee? He should be picked somewhere 10-14. I don't know much about him besides being a LW. Just seen his name in lots of mocks

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What about Farabee? He should be picked somewhere 10-14. I don't know much about him besides being a LW. Just seen his name in lots of mocks
Ya he should be on there . He is likely to be a major faller . Great stats but was playing with some pretty great players and watching his highlights he doesn’t look that good . Scores a lot of deflection , and wide open net goals .

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Ya he should be on there . He is likely to be a major faller . Great stats but was playing with some pretty great players and watching his highlights he doesn’t look that good . Scores a lot of deflection , and wide open net goals .
What highlights are you watching? He isnt my first choice but he is a very solid choice at 13. He has a very good shot and is one of the smarter players that is likely available at our pick. Dude might pot open nets from time to time but straight up has the ability to beat an un screened goalie with a wrister and set up Wahlstrom for tap ins all year

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Through some email link, saw an article on the Sportser (?) with "15 realistic trades for Buffalo's No. 1 Pick".

13 on the list was from Dallas - Tyler Seguin and next year's second pick, which they thought would be enough. With one year left, frankly I doubt it unless is was a sign and trade. Second, I think Buffalo would want to add at least Honka, if not Miro or JK rather than a second.

Sadly, I think the article was click bait. Dahlin may be better than Miro, but we would be best served to keep the pick, and/or maybe (maybe, low maybe) trade up to 2/3 with some other package to get one of the best forwards available. Trading to 6-10 doesn't seem to have much advantage unless its our 13th and second or third and there is a guy we really, really like better than the others, like Otter last year.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What highlights are you watching? He isnt my first choice but he is a very solid choice at 13. He has a very good shot and is one of the smarter players that is likely available at our pick. Dude might pot open nets from time to time but straight up has the ability to beat an un screened goalie with a wrister and set up Wahlstrom for tap ins all year
His 2017-18 highlight video on YouTube . I’m not saying he’s bad but there’s a few guys I’d take at 13 before him. I think he will drop to mid to late teens .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Look I like Kravstov but I think Denisenko is the better player. Really impressive skater, great vision and uses it to find open ice all the time. Kids got hands and he can use them at high speed.

I 100% believe Denisenko gets picked before Kravstov.
Denisenko has unreal hands and skating , he probably has one of the highest ceilings in the draft and is being very Underlooked . The stars also have like zero right handed forwards in the system .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shapiro kind of touched on potential philosophy changes when drafting. Dallas has obviously been terrified of small players for the most part. When you look at drafts when the DRW crew has been here, they just rarely, rarely take smaller players. Honestly, Honka surprised the heck out of me. Shapiro hinted that some of the changes Nill hinted at was a great emphasis on skill and a reduced emphasis on size. If this actually happens, they're late as hell to the party, but at least they're finally addressing a glaring mistake.

For once, you might actually see a guy like Denisenko land in Dallas. When you guys list most of the guys that they passed over that get you angry, most of them are sub 6'. Off the top of my head, Debrincat, Domi, and Barzal come to mind.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Shapiro kind of touched on potential philosophy changes when drafting. Dallas has obviously been terrified of small players for the most part. When you look at drafts when the DRW crew has been here, they just rarely, rarely take smaller players. Honestly, Honka surprised the heck out of me. Shapiro hinted that some of the changes Nill hinted at was a great emphasis on skill and a reduced emphasis on size. If this actually happens, they're late as hell to the party, but at least they're finally addressing a glaring mistake.

For once, you might actually see a guy like Denisenko land in Dallas. When you guys list most of the guys that they passed over that get you angry, most of them are sub 6'. Off the top of my head, Debrincat, Domi, and Barzal come to mind.

It’s amazing today that Hart and Art Ross winners like Martin St. Louis went undrafted and had trouble even getting a try out despite multiple years as a Hobey Baker finalist.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

TBH, I had the impression when he came on board that it would be all skill based picks, given that is the type of game DET always played. And, I guess it is, other than a big skill guy would always be taken over a smaller skill guy.

In that respect, the Hitch year will always be seen as a "Hitch in the get along" of the Stars development, taking one step back to bruisers playing dump and chase. Hopefully, some of his D lessons will stick around, and we will truly get the best blend of Ruff hockey and Hitch hockey with Monty Hockey, perhaps called Mockey?"

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
We’re definately at a place where we can afford to have a couple smaller forwards too . I’m pretty sure I read we were the biggest team in the league last year .

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Denisenko scares me because when I look at his MHL numbers, they aren't mind blowing. In fact his totals are only slightly better than Gurianov. Obviously two different kind of styles and I'm probably reading too much into numbers without context, but Nill has me gun shy. As a second round pick maybe but I'm worried about him at 13th.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Denisenko scares me because when I look at his MHL numbers, they aren't mind blowing. In fact his totals are only slightly better than Gurianov. Obviously two different kind of styles and I'm probably reading too much into numbers without context, but Nill has me gun shy. As a second round pick maybe but I'm worried about him at 13th.
I wouldn’t mind him at 13 , ya his numbers are basically the same as guryanov but just the way he controls the puck , receives passes and his overall confidence you can tell is on another level . I really don’t see him falling to us in the second round .

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
dont want another first rounder whos numbers dont seem to match his skill. This usually occurs when a guy doesnt have the hockey sense to go along with physical gifts.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
These are the results of the mock draft I was in as the stars . Traded up for an extra early 4th rounder . Kotkaniemi was not available at 13 . It was between Veleno and Hayton .
Rd1. 13th -Barrett Hayton C
Rd2. 44th-Mattias Samuelsson LD
Rd3. 75th - Pavel Shen C
Rd4. 100th Ty Emberson RD
Rd4. 104th Gabriel Fortier LW
Rd4. 106th Kristian Reichel C

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
If between Veleno and Hayton. I would take Veleno. I am not sold on Hayton.
That’s what a lot of people are saying and I think it’s mostly based on some scouting reports that knocked his skating saying he has heavy feet . He’s not lightning fast but he’s is still a good skater and not nearly as slow as he’s been made out to be . I went and watched several of the greyhounds playoff games just to check out Hayton and sandin and Hayton was the greyhounds most dominant player in every game . You could just tell he’s a special player and has that hockey sense that you can’t teach . But I also haven’t seen veleno live so he could very well be better than Hayton . Watching a player live up close you get a much better evaluation on them than through video or even on tv . So we have to trust the scouts that go and watch all these guys throughout the season .

Azzuri

Feb 6, 2017
Hayton has high hockey IQ according to Pronman and other scouting reports, his skating holds him back. Skating can be improved though, lots of prospects get high level skating coaches before making it to the NHL. One of the easiest things to improve. Can't teach high IQ.

That being said, Veleno is a good pick too. Projects to a Derek Stepan like player.

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Hayton has high hockey IQ according to Pronman and other scouting reports, his skating holds him back. Skating can be improved though, lots of prospects get high level skating coaches before making it to the NHL. One of the easiest things to improve. Can't teach high IQ.

That being said, Veleno is a good pick too. Projects to a Derek Stepan like player.
Exactly , hockey iq is the the most important attribute far outweighing any other physical attributes like size , speed , shot etc. those things are good to have too but can be improved with time . I actually just seen an interview the other day where Craig button was suggesting Montreal should take Barrett Hayton with the 3rd pick . There’s zero chance that happens but button usually has a pretty good read on players .

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Even though there's been a recent wave of love for Hayton, I'd rather have the Stars pick Veleno. But I wouldn't mind either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad