Confirmed with Link: Dallas signs Matej Blumel to 2 year ELC (925k)

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That method works OK, but like you said it is so slow. If you SIM a month that could take like 15+ mins if I remember correctly haven't played in a while. Plus I couldn't alt-tab out of that game without it crashing so you are basically stuck with it siming and can't do anything else.
I've never had any issues with speed but you can try and change to quick sim or reduce the number of leagues or the number in Full detail at least.

I don't think it's ever taken 15min to get through a month save for the draft /ufa but that's on me

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Yup, the joys of a game so old that it only runs on one core, regardless of your processor. I think the thing I find most annoying is I'm not sure FHM is any faster despite being much, much newer.
FHM sims super fast for a managment game. Though IMO FHM lacks in many other areas. I'd see purchasing any game in that franchise more like an investment for future games.

A general recommendation I would have for people who want to get into managment games is to try to get into soccer and play FM instead. :laugh: I have also heard OOTP is also very good for baseball. If that isn't an alternative then EHM is still a very fun game.

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
FHM sims super fast for a managment game. Though IMO FHM lacks in many other areas. I'd see purchasing any game in that franchise more like an investment for future games.

A general recommendation I would have for people who want to get into managment games is to try to get into soccer and play FM instead. :laugh: I have also heard OOTP is also very good for baseball. If that isn't an alternative then EHM is still a very fun game.

I think it's gotten better over the years, but there are still things that are lacking for sure. It's probably more of a tradeoff at this point of certain features that one game has over the other. One thing I really like in EHM is the scouting reports you get on all the prospects that you can thoroughly look over. I don't think FHM has anything with that level of detail. At the same time, I don't have to meticulously assign all my scouts in FHM to individual leagues or the draft or the WJC, they just get assigned by region and go off and scout on their own.

I also like the financial aspect FHM 8 added, maybe people don't like the idea of messing with the overall budget of the team, but I thought it was cool, though it's in its infancy at this point. I'd probably still prefer to play EHM, but at this point I'm really waiting for the day where FHM becomes outright better because EHM feels creaky and old. I dislike the way both games to any sort of filtering and searching though, and as both are essentially spreadsheets, it's kind of a bummer.

I actually tried to get into Football Manager sometime last year, and it was just too much for me. I think it would be great once I could wrap my head around it, but I feel like the series has added so many modules that it's just overwhelming for newcomers. I'm not particularly shy about complex games with lots of systems, but I wasn't in the mood to watch 20 tutorial youtube videos to get started so I bounced off it. That and the fact that I know nothing about the players, or much at all about the tactics, made it more difficult. From what I saw, though, it really looks like the holy grail of sports management sims if you can wrap your head around all of it.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I think it's gotten better over the years, but there are still things that are lacking for sure. It's probably more of a tradeoff at this point of certain features that one game has over the other. One thing I really like in EHM is the scouting reports you get on all the prospects that you can thoroughly look over. I don't think FHM has anything with that level of detail. At the same time, I don't have to meticulously assign all my scouts in FHM to individual leagues or the draft or the WJC, they just get assigned by region and go off and scout on their own.

I also like the financial aspect FHM 8 added, maybe people don't like the idea of messing with the overall budget of the team, but I thought it was cool, though it's in its infancy at this point. I'd probably still prefer to play EHM, but at this point I'm really waiting for the day where FHM becomes outright better because EHM feels creaky and old. I dislike the way both games to any sort of filtering and searching though, and as both are essentially spreadsheets, it's kind of a bummer.
Yeah FHM has grown alot compared to its first iteration. I bought the latest one recently and has some fun playing a few seasons. I do agree that the scouting assigments is much improved to EHM where it just feels like a chore. However, the biggest drawback for me is that I didn't really enjoy simulating/playing the games themselves. I feel like it's even worse than EHM in that aspect. That being said, I bet it's just a matter of time before it surpasses EHM. Assuming the studio continues to develop the game.

I actually tried to get into Football Manager sometime last year, and it was just too much for me. I think it would be great once I could wrap my head around it, but I feel like the series has added so many modules that it's just overwhelming for newcomers. I'm not particularly shy about complex games with lots of systems, but I wasn't in the mood to watch 20 tutorial youtube videos to get started so I bounced off it. That and the fact that I know nothing about the players, or much at all about the tactics, made it more difficult. From what I saw, though, it really looks like the holy grail of sports management sims if you can wrap your head around all of it.
The complexity is for sure a drawback for newcomers, especially if you aren't familiar with the sport. Hell, I've been playing since I was a kid and I have too look through tutorials sometimes. But if you have time and commitment, it really is the holy grail of sport managment games like you said.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I'm so sorry for bumping this thread so off topic, but I just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Motorsport manager, which is the perfect sim for when you wanna do some simming but you don't want to think too hard. Find it highly satisfying if you're a fan of F1 or motor racing.

Also I hope Blumel is a nice, cheap middle 6 option, I suspect he and OIofsson will briefly start in the AHL for acclimation, but hopefully neither is there for long. Happy the Stars are finding cheap ways to fill spots, and hopefully with a couple of underrated players that can make some sort of impact. My fake EHM scouts had Blumel as a 2nd line upside type guy, I suspect that will not come true. :laugh:

He's only 22, so maybe there's room for growth and surprise, but I'll take a free prospect anytime regardless.

Reactions: Klockis

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Edmonton draftee in 2019 who never got signed. At the time there seemed to be some confusion as to why he wasn't signed by the club. Anyways, he has done well in the Czechia league and a strong World Championship.

Matej Blumel

From the descriptions, he sounds very similar to the Sudenic signing, high motor, medium skills. It's one of Nill's low risk, potentially high reward forward signings to me. Admittedly, I really don't know anything about him, but Suds and Namestikov both seemed to work out well, and maybe this will work out better....or worse.....time will tell.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
I'm so sorry for bumping this thread so off topic, but I just wanted to give a quick shoutout to Motorsport manager, which is the perfect sim for when you wanna do some simming but you don't want to think too hard. Find it highly satisfying if you're a fan of F1 or motor racing.

Also I hope Blumel is a nice, cheap middle 6 option, I suspect he and OIofsson will briefly start in the AHL for acclimation, but hopefully neither is there for long. Happy the Stars are finding cheap ways to fill spots, and hopefully with a couple of underrated players that can make some sort of impact. My fake EHM scouts had Blumel as a 2nd line upside type guy, I suspect that will not come true. :laugh:

He's only 22, so maybe there's room for growth and surprise, but I'll take a free prospect anytime regardless.
:laugh:
Nice to see EHM managers here - I'm a fan of the game since the first edition at the end of the 90's
I'm currently playing with the NHLX database
A little too easy to win but very addictive

This said I have nothing to say about Blumel except we have nothing to lose :thumbu:

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
The rumor that was never confirmed is Olofsson had an agreement in place with Rogle for next season. It was suggested when news first broke that Dallas was willing to offer the one-way deal that he'd either be in the NHL or SHL so there may be a European Clause in the deal.

It seems like he's in the NHL or back to Sweden potentially. Teams don't often publically release European Clause info. I don't think we'll know for sure the structure of it unless the team comments on it.

Blumel seems like a virtual lock for the AHL though to start, but I'm sure he'll be given just as much a chance as anyone else on a two-way deal.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
:laugh:
Nice to see EHM managers here - I'm a fan of the game since the first edition at the end of the 90's
I'm currently playing with the NHLX database
A little too easy to win but very addictive

This said I have nothing to say about Blumel except we have nothing to lose :thumbu:
You've got to play with the Arizona mode stipulations. (sadly you have to manage them yourself)
can only go over the cap floor by 5mil,
any elc forward that scores at least 20 goals, has to get a long term contract for 6+m or be traded for picks.
any 20+ point defenseman has to be signed for 4.5+m or be traded for picks.
Starting goalie cannot make more than 3mil
Good luck

Reactions: DangeRouss

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
You've got to play with the Arizona mode stipulations. (sadly you have to manage them yourself)
can only go over the cap floor by 5mil,
any elc forward that scores at least 20 goals, has to get a long term contract for 6+m or be traded for picks.
any 20+ point defenseman has to be signed for 4.5+m or be traded for picks.
Starting goalie cannot make more than 3mil
Good luck
Where does this mode come from ?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Where does this mode come from ?
I don't remember who thought of it, pretty sure it's from the blueline though.
But it's not an actual "mode"
It's more of a challenge with a set of rules to abide by. But it makes the game more difficult.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah ehm blueline is the forum. Just playing EHM on its own can be a bit too easy, so some people put in some stipulations or self challenges to make it harder.

Personally I dont coach games, or set tactics, and then let the scouts do their thing and I only try and draft certain players to have a team theme instead of the "best"

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Jiri Hrdina told to Czech newspaper Sport, that Dallas expect Blumel to play Radulov's role .... hope that it won't be this season role

I was curious about the interview so I tracked it down.

Some highlights:

* They appreciated his ability to fit with Cervenka and Krejci up the lineup before Pastrnak showed up to the WC, and they felt like he still looked good going down to the 2nd line and performed well.

* Hrdina sold him to Nill as a guy who was capable of playing 3rd line minutes and had the top end potentially to maybe be a 2nd line forward.

* Hrdina has been following him closely for 2 years

* "He is such a versatile fighter, he is also handy, he has great speed, he can score a goal. Depending on who he plays with, we can take advantage of him. There was nothing to deal with." If I'm understanding it correctly it's Hrdina saying he doesn't have many weaknesses they need to work on in that last part. He's well-rounded.

The rest of it is paywalled. That first link though did mention the Radulov comparison.

Reactions: Sports2

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I found a different article as well where he was interviewed. This one produced a really great quote too ...

"The weak boys don't play in the NHL either. I need to work hard so that after the summer I can say that I put everything into it. Then we'll see what it takes."

He also acknowledged he would be starting in the AHL.

"I'm going to fight for the NHL, I'll fight on the farm"

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I found a different article as well where he was interviewed. This one produced a really great quote too ...

"The weak boys don't play in the NHL either. I need to work hard so that after the summer I can say that I put everything into it. Then we'll see what it takes."

He also acknowledged he would be starting in the AHL.

"I'm going to fight for the NHL, I'll fight on the farm"

Love that.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
How has he looked so far in his 5 nhl games?

I know some consider his skating a bit slow. Is it too slow for the nhl?

He's not lighting the world on fire, but I hope very much that Hintz plays and Gurianov sits another game. If that happens, it looks like Blumel will get a shot with Johnston, and Johnston's playmaking seems to be picking up, and I think a shooter like Blumel could be a good fit for him.

I think 2008 was the last time Dallas had 3 scoring lines, and I'm not about to say that 3 rookies can be that, but the mix of skill on that line feels promising. I'm less excited about a Gurianov-Johnston-Dellandrea line though.

Blumel's going down soon though. When Hintz and Gurianov are both healthy, my guess is they send him down to start trying to accumulate some cap space, especially with so many home games right now.

I've liked him, but he's not forced their hand to be a regular either. I get the feeling he has 1 game left considering both Hintz and Gurianov are game-time decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad