Pre-Game Talk: Dallas @ NYR - 1/5/16 - 7:00PM - WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
For a reasonably intelligent person such as yourself who enjoys analytical data, your opinion is that of an obtuse layman, which I know you aren't.

Henrik's statistical numbers have taken a terrible hit because of the HDSC (high danger scoring chances) the team in front of him is giving up in record numbers. He's being left out to dry most every single night.

It's clear as day, yet you call his play abysmal?

How many times do we have to go through this, lets do it again!

Everyone's expectation of Henrik is to be a superhuman goaltender every time he steps onto the ice. This is unrealistic. He's a human being. He isn't some cyborg who can be programmed to stop every single puck that he shot at him (although he stops a large majority of them)

His play hasn't been as bad as some people think it has been. Can he better? Of course! He COULD post a shutout every single night, but again this is unrealistic. Until people start waking up and seeing the actual issues with this team, we will continue to hear ridiculous posts about how abysmal he's been without mentioning or understanding the depth of what causes breakdowns in play which lead to HDSC's all over the ice on a nightly basis.

No one (or very very few people) expect Hank to be super human, but as the highest paid goalie in the league thers is an expectation that he will play to a very high standard and be the best goalue on the ice most nights. For the majority of Dec it would be fair to say that has not been the case. Is it all Hank's fault? Hell no, not by a long shot; but he hasnt been playing to the standard that is expected if him.

And if he isnt expected to stop hus fair share of the HDSC coming his way, we end up with the afe old question of; if his play is so reliant on the team, are we better off finding an 'average' goalie and using the cap savings to improve the roster elsewhere.

Hank is the best goalie in Ranger history but he can be better than he has been for the last month and he is nit above criticism

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
How many times have we given up five goals this month? I don't think less than five is unrealistic.

Seriously. I love Hank, a lot, but there's a far cry between hoping for him to give up 2 or 3 goals on a consistent basis as opposed a shutout every game.

I think everyone would be pretty damn pleased if he started letting in 1,2 or 3 goals a game again. We don't need a shutout.

Is he facing a lot of high scoring chances, yup. Is he facing that many more than some of his prior ten seasons, nope. Is he stopping less of them, yup. He is the highest paid player on the team, that means he should be doing a **** load to cover up some of this teams mistakes.

I have never seen Nevesis say Hank can be better. Is he the root of our problems lately, absolutely not, but he has done nothing to help the team at all. I see people complain often about Hank not making big saves and Nevesis will point one that he made early in the game out. That's great, Hank isn't paid to make one big save, he's paid to make 3,4,5 every single game.

Otherwise, like the poster above said, maybe we would have been better off paying an average goalie and using that extra 3-4mil in cap space on a high quality defender or forward.

I never want to trade Hank, he is one of my favorite Rangers of all time. But he deserves the criticism when he plays like this, as would any player.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can believe it. He's simply not given us superstar play for a while, now, this season. Have no problem with AV's quote.

I'm not mad about the quote, and I said that Hank isn't absolved from blame. He hasn't been as good latelty, that's undeniable, but what I do have an issue with is him not calling out players that have been worse than Hank.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not mad about the quote, and I said that Hank isn't absolved from blame. He hasn't been as good latelty, that's undeniable, but what I do have an issue with is him not calling out players that have been worse than Hank.

Since the start of the season he has called out the first line (Brassard and Nash), made comments about Stepan, CK, Miller and Hayes that were similiar to what he's just said about Hank (we need them to be better), called out McD, Staal and Girardi a month ago and benched Hayes for 2 games. We can also assume he's about to bench Etem again.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Since the start of the season he has called out the first line (Brassard and Nash), made comments about Stepan, CK, Miller and Hayes that were similiar to what he's just said about Hank (we need them to be better), called out McD, Staal and Girardi a month ago and benched Hayes for 2 games. We can also assume he's about to bench Etem again.

What has he said about Nash and Brassard? and even more so McD, Staal, Girardi? I am on top of most of the press about the Rangers and don't recall any of this....Please post

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
What has he said about Nash and Brassard? and even more so McD, Staal, Girardi? I am on top of most of the press about the Rangers and don't recall any of this....Please post

The Nash/Brassard was at the start if the season, the D man stuff was around Dec 5. I just Googled AV and each if their names to find it all...

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
The Nash/Brassard was at the start if the season, the D man stuff was around Dec 5. I just Googled AV and each if their names to find it all...

I'm not talking about anything referring to "the first line" or "our defense" I'm talking about referencing them by name, like he has done with Hank

He simply hasn't done this...

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
I'm not talking about anything referring to "the first line" or "our defense" I'm talking about referencing them by name, like he has done with Hank

NY post article on 5 dec names the D...
Would you feel better if he said 'the goalies need to play better'?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

So would it make you feel better if he had said, "Our goalie"?

Because. Wow. Man alive. I have no idea who he'd be referring to, there. Wow. You're right. Stunning. Is he referring to Hank or the other guy!?!?!?!?!?

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Not for nothing, I just searched December 5th articles and still don't see it.... maybe you could provide a LINK?

On a side note, when AV decides to call out a guy that has been consistent for the past decade(including this season) instead of calling out Staal and Girardi who have looked awful for a majority of the season I have a huge problem.

Why doesn't anyone ask AV about why the defense gives up scoring chances and odd man rushes constantly? Why don't they ask why Rick Nash is irrelevant? Why don't they ask by Mcilrath is being benched when he was one of our best defenseman when he played?

There are so many problems with this team ahead of Lundqvist, its so obvious to anyone that has watched this team the past few seasons compared to this one.... Hank hasn't been Stellar lately, but its embarrassing that Nash, Staal, Girardi, Nash and McD, get a free ride for doing NOTHING all year. These guys are supposed to be the leaders on this team? where are they?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Not for nothing, I just searched December 5th articles and still don't see it.... maybe you could provide a LINK?

On a side note, when AV decides to call out a guy that has been consistent for the past decade(including this season) instead of calling out Staal and Girardi who have looked awful for a majority of the season I have a huge problem.

Why doesn't anyone ask AV about why the defense gives up scoring chances and odd man rushes constantly? Why don't they ask why Rick Nash is irrelevant? Why don't they ask by Mcilrath is being benched when he was one of our best defenseman when he played?

There are so many problems with this team ahead of Lundqvist, its so obvious to anyone that has watched this team the past few seasons compared to this one.... Hank hasn't been Stellar lately, but its embarrassing that Nash, Staal, Girardi, Nash and McD, get a free ride for doing NOTHING all year. These guys are supposed to be the leaders on this team? where are they?

Hope this works, nfi how to cut and paste properly on a phone
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/big-step-rangers-blog-entry-1.2456325

I was wrong, it was the ny daily news not the post, but it was still the second hit i got through Google

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Oh no the Benn Seguin show is coming to town...

I really don't want to miss that game. Gotta get out rather early on wednesday though ...

We usually play good against big western teams. So I'm rather optimistic. And hey, if we **** the bed, at least we get to see the Benn Seguin show ... :laugh::cry:;)

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I really don't want to miss that game. Gotta get out rather early on wednesday though ...

We usually play good against big western teams. So I'm rather optimistic. And hey, if we **** the bed, at least we get to see the Benn Seguin show ... :laugh::cry:;)

That's the spirit!

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
Hank is our best player and leads by example. Once he turns it back on the team will follow.

The team did not follow early on in the season, which makes me doubt they will if Hank gets back into form. I'm not saying that his play won't spark the team in some way, but I have yet to see the team show a shred of what it takes to play good season defense, much less playoff level defense.

I also find it funny that AV calls out Hank's play after a 3-0 loss and not a stinker performance.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Hope this works, nfi how to cut and paste properly on a phone
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/rangers/big-step-rangers-blog-entry-1.2456325

I was wrong, it was the ny daily news not the post, but it was still the second hit i got through Google

You're right, there are some good quotes in there that I wasn't aware AV had made. He doesn't mention Girardi at all, or really say anything too bad about McD but im glad he atleast said some of those things....

I guess what it boils down to for me is that, I see so many more issues right now with some of our other big players, roster decisions that I find it odd to say anything about Hank, in my opinion he isn't even my top 10 players worth mentioning how underachieving this team has been...and I guess that's my problem with AV mentioning Hank at all

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Stop with the personal attacks or you will be receiving an infraction and removed from game day discussion. The team playing like garbage doesn't mean that this place we visit to discuss it has to be so unpleasant.

Moderators: NO further written warnings, please.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

Basically the whole team, that is :laugh:

This is pretty much the same core of players that made the finals in 14, and only one game away from doing the same last year. Just have to turn this around and start winning some games, and get the confidence back.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
This reminds me of that game on NBCSN we had in January 2014 against the Hawks that this entire board was convinced we were going to get murdered in, where the Rangers won 3-2 and it started their amazing second half.

lol

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Basically the whole team, that is :laugh:

This is pretty much the same core of players that made the finals in 14, and only one game away from doing the same last year. Just have to turn this around and start winning some games, and get the confidence back.

The only difference is we never found an answer to the loss of MSL's production, Our core defenseman have all regressed, Nash is more irrelevant than ever, and our team loves to give up high scoring chanced repeatedly this season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
This reminds me of that game on NBCSN we had in January 2014 against the Hawks that this entire board was convinced we were going to get murdered in, where the Rangers won 3-2 and it started their amazing second half.

lol

I want to believe...

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

lol

Ya know what, after these last five-six weeks of torture, this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest bit. It'd be another patented AV season that we just went on a tear from January onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad