Prospect Info: Dalibor Dvorský, 10th, 2023

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Really like this pick. Also that EP video was great. Not alot of videos show defensive game or compete level too well. This kid looks like a gamer and he's really young. Him falling to 10 couldn't have been expected but man is it lucky for us.

Rutherford said we had a jersey ready for him. Meaning we didn;t just slap a plate on it. We had one stitched. I'm not sure how many guys we have a stitched one just in case, but the team clearly thought it was possible he'd make it to 10.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Rutherford said we had a jersey ready for him. Meaning we didn;t just slap a plate on it. We had one stitched. I'm not sure how many guys we have a stitched one just in case, but the team clearly thought it was possible he'd make it to 10.

Possible yes, but unlikely I'd imagine. I may be remembering this wrong, but I think we had it stitched for Stenberg too no? They may have made 3 or 4 for guys in each area we knew we were drafting that had a chance to be there.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Demitra.jpg

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Congrats on this pick. I started bouncing in my chair when Simashev went high because that was the only scenario (2 D ahead of 9) I could see which would lead to Dvorsky dropping to the Wings. It's not really fair to Danielson being upset about it, but I really wanted Dvorsky's upside relative to Danielson's. I think both are equally safe.

At least he went west...

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
TV

He looks like a heck of a shooter. He shows some good stick handling at times. It looks like he competes hard and goes to the hard areas.

I didn’t see as much driving the ply in this videos though. I would expect to see more of that given the position we took him. Maybe other videos will show that.
Oh yeah there are a ton more videos on him, I just went to YouTube and picked the first one :laugh:

Congrats on this pick. I started bouncing in my chair when Simashev went high because that was the only scenario (2 D ahead of 9) I could see which would lead to Dvorsky dropping to the Wings. It's not really fair to Danielson being upset about it, but I really wanted Dvorsky's upside relative to Danielson's. I think both are equally safe.

At least he went west...
I was convinced you guys were gonna take him once Simashev went lol

Reactions: norrisnick

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
The thing that stands out -to me, anyway- is his teammates look to throw him the puck when they get jammed. They trust he’ll keep the play going.

I really like this pick. While you never like hearing “skating” is a concern, I disagree that skating is something purely graded on explosiveness, efficiency, and edges. You can’t be bad at any one of those, but there’s something to be said of being a ‘creative’ or ‘smart’ skater. Dvorsky looks like both, and is probably closer to ‘average’ in the physical areas with clearer lines for improvement than most.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
The thing that stands out -to me, anyway- is his teammates look to throw him the puck when they get jammed. They trust he’ll keep the play going.

I really like this pick. While you never like hearing “skating” is a concern, I disagree that skating is something purely graded on explosiveness, efficiency, and edges. You can’t be bad at any one of those, but there’s something to be said of being a ‘creative’ or ‘smart’ skater. Dvorsky looks like both, and is probably closer to ‘average’ in the physical areas with clearer lines for improvement than most.
The minimal videos I have seen he looks like he has decent speed. He could be more efficient and fluid. I also don’t see a lot of tight turns and there is room to improve his starts and stops. I think he can make decent strides to become a better skater.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Pre-draft, I would’ve given it a 40% chance Dvorsky would be there at 10. Players with problem skating almost always fall.

Dvorsky, Wood, Perreault, Musty…all need to work on their skating.

There’s 2 aspects of Dvorsky’s skating that needs work IMO - speed/acceleration and agility. The speed and acceleration part should be easier to fix as he clearly doesn’t finish his strides (lifts his foot up a touch early with little ankle flex). That’s pretty common and pretty easily fixable with a power skating coach. The agility will take more work. Get that kid a balance board and all sorts of agility drills and I bet he’ll be fine though. That likely won’t ever be a strength as he doesn’t seem to be naturally gifted in balance/agility but he has so many other things going for him. A very good player overall.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I do think Dvorsky still has some question marks and a somewhat difficult development path. Probably my biggest criticism of him is his vision as a puck carrier, he often carries the puck into traffic and I don't think he's usually aware of all his passing options. If he is going to be an effective puck carrier he'll need to really improve his skating, become an even smoother handler, and maybe quicken his release as well. I don't think he'll ever be an advanced playmaker off the rush but he could become a hard player to contain 1 on 1. He'll be facing tough competition next year in the SHL, hopefully his new team gives him the confidence to experiment and push his limits.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Really like this pick, I didn't think he'd drop to 10 but Arizona and Detroit did us some favors with their picks. Dvorsky doesn't have the high end ceiling that you might want out of a top 10 pick, but it doesn't mean that he's lacking in skill. His hands and shot are definitely two of his greatest strengths, and I also love his competitiveness and desire to win.

His main areas to improve from what I've seen is, first and foremost, his skating. I saw some quotes where he acknowledge that this is a weakness to his game so props to the self-recognition, and I have no doubt the Blues will be pushing him to work on that aspect of his game. He also seems to have a tendency to overhandle the puck at times and he'll need to understand that this won't fly in the NHL. He can get away with it against lower level competition but I'd like to see him be quicker with his touches and thus open himself up in different areas of the ice.
His straightaway skating speed problem can be fixed by working on lengthening his stride. Good that The Blues now have signed Alex Steen (residing in Sweden) to be their liaison in that country to manage their Swedish league prospects' development. He will surely get Dvorsky together with a skating instructor to work on his deficiencies. Fixing his limitations is just a matter of putting the time and work in. I'm confident that he'll be much improved before next season, and be up to snuff after next season (certainly by the time he comes to North America, to play in The AHL).

Reactions: Pomee and Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Just looking more in depth at his scouting, obvious needs for him are better speed, acceleration and agility. He does look much slower than other players, but apparently his technique is already good and needs some training on improving stride. If he's faster than O'Reilly right now, that bodes really well for him for an NHL future.

His strengths really standout when I watch video. He has an imposing body at 17 years old and regularly attempts to box guys out to retrieve the puck. If he gets that next gear in speed, he's going to be really effective at puck retrievals, making him a more dominant defensive force. His two-way play is a bit tougher to evaluate for me especially since there aren't a ton of videos of him just doing the small details stuff.

His shot looks really good and he uses a one-timer very well. From the videos I've seen, he's able to pick corners pretty well, he can make a quick shot on net before the goalie is set, and he scores close to the paint frequently. I think if he were to make the team out of camp, he may not put up more than 20 points, but you'd see a lot of his goals coming from the blue paint or off his one-timer position. Real asset there.

His most unique strength for the type of player he is is his stickhandling. He really does a great job just eluding defenders both on the rush and as he is protecting the puck during the cycle. It really does have a ROR style to it, but he might be even better at deceiving opponents when his back is to them. I think he's a much better dangler than ROR is off the rush, but he's playing in a lesser league with much more ice.

He seems like the type of player that will do what it takes to get better so I have no reason to believe he won't improve his skating. I'm not sure if he's ready yet to play in the NHL, but I can't see him not being with the team in 24-25 and it's hard for me to see him being less than a 2nd line center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad