Confirmed Trade: [DAL/CHI] Johnny Oduya (50% retained) for Mark McNeill, Cond. 2018 4th Round Pick

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
They were? News to me!
Better late to the party then never invited, I say.

JO fixes the PK and gives the Hawks the best depth of defense possibly in the league.

One thing that never gets old, it seems once again the Cup goes thru Chicago. Which is a bold statement considering the Pens won last year.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I mean its not like Washington has Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, Orpik, Schmidt, Shattenkirk Ill take those 6 over ours.

I'd rather have the defence with Keith on it and slightly worse depth but I'm as big a Keith fan as there is.

His 30 minutes per night in the playoffs make that depth far less important.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I'd rather have the defence with Keith on it and slightly worse depth but I'm as big a Keith fan as there is.

His 30 minutes per night in the playoffs make that depth far less important.

Same. I think not having a true number 1 is one of the biggest question marks with Washington

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I mean its not like Washington has Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, Orpik, Schmidt, Shattenkirk Ill take those 6 over ours.

Once the playoffs start, Duncan Keith plus anything is the best depth in the league, LOL.

Has there been a better playoff performer (forward, goalie or d-man) in the league over the last 6-7 years?

I don't think so.

The Oduya/Jammer paring has been very special over the years.

While I'm not sure what Oduya has left, there is no question that he's in his very best position to succeed right now.

The last time the hawks won the SC, Oduya has a subpar year but a very good playoff.

I wouldn't bet against that occurring again.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Very underwhelming return, but Oduya is done. He's not the same player from even last year, let alone 2015. If he's playing anything more than bottom-pairing minutes he'll bring down your defense. Maybe Hjalmarsson can revive him. I'd rather evaluate the kids for the last quarter of the season anyway.

Will be interesting to see how McNeill performs in a new organization. Bottom-6 spots are certainly up for grabs on the Stars next year.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Interesting pickup for Chicago. I get the familiarity but not sure why they'd go for Oduya again.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Interesting pickup for Chicago. I get the familiarity but not sure why they'd go for Oduya again.

positives : cheap
experienced cup performer
familiarity with system and players

negatives : health

I imagine Stan was willing to take the chance here or they got some assurance that Oduya would be healthy enough to contribute.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
i cant imagine people have any doubts about fit or health or anything left in the tank...we got him for free. worst case hes the 7th defenseman but that just means 6 other guys stepped up.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
What happened with McNeill?

23,25 and 6 goals the last 3 seasons.

The AHL club for Chicago was pretty solid the previous two years but is devoid of talent this year. The Hawks opening night lineup featured 6 rookies and another (Kero) was brought up later. McNeill no longer has anyone to play with. He isn't good enough to create his own opportunities, but can cash in around the net if others do the creating.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
McNeil will have a chance here. there is really nothing set on lower lines in Dallas. I suspect we will have a new coaching staff as well.

Don't be surprised if Benn and seguin's name come up in trade talks next deadline. Nill pulled off a couple of great deals early but left us dry on defense and expensive and poor goal tending which can't be fixed in one expansion filled off-season. He also stayed true to coaches who could not coach to personnel.

Dallas is pretty much a mess despite last years mirage.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
McNeil will have a chance here. there is really nothing set on lower lines in Dallas. I suspect we will have a new coaching staff as well.

Don't be surprised if Benn and seguin's name come up in trade talks next deadline. Nill pulled off a couple of great deals early but left us dry on defense and expensive and poor goal tending which can't be fixed in one expansion filled off-season. He also stayed true to coaches who could not coach to personnel.

Uhh yes be surprised if Benn and Seguins names come up next year....

We are bad this year but let's not call us bottom of the barrel seller for next year already. What is Hemsky come back healthy? And Janmark come back good to go, we convince Nuke to come back?

That's adding 3 middle 6 wingers right there. That alone is a huge boost. Then factor in the cap space we have we have the ability to sign players. I agree it's going to be a defining year for Nill but to say right now that Benn or Seguin could be on the table next deadline is insane

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
I predicted this deal for the last 2 months.

I like the trade for both teams..... I think McNeill could find a role in the bottom 6 in Dallas and Oduya comes home to the Hawks....

Now, what boggles my mind is why Bowman couldn't work Eaves into the deal, I mean he only went for a 2nd..... I know he got Jurco but, he's really not what the Hawks need.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Same. I think not having a true number 1 is one of the biggest question marks with Washington

Truth. Go back the last twenty years and count the Cup winners that didn't have a true number one. You won't even have to use three fingers.

I would take Doughty or Keith over ANY player in the NHL heading into the playoffs.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas

I think you are crazy. They are not a mess. They have solid core but need to add some defense and a goalie.

Savardian Spinorama

Mar 29, 2011
Chicago
Dude I'm an Oduya fanboy...... Hammer and Oduya are an excellent pair.

This move is a lot bigger than it may appear...

Now if the Hawks can add a LW that can play top 6 minutes then I will be ecstatic.

Hammer and anyone are an excellent pair. I won't claim that Oduya is crap, just as I wouldn't about Campbell. However, they both have the same weakness. They often have questionable decision making and, in my opinion, can play a bit soft at times. I'd prefer both of them to be limited to third pair, but I know that's not realistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad