Rumor: Daddy comes back to spank us

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't know how you guys can doubt that Martian has sources. None of the insiders reported or hinted at Dadonov before he did. Look at Friedman and Garrioch hinting at the Pinto stuff a week or two before the gambling suspension came out. Sens getting punished for Dadonov was not something a person can randomly guess and get right.

Whether he is reliable is a different story entirely. It's possible he has sources, but also makes things up for hits or guesses (hears about Dadonov, guesses Dorion will be fired, presents it as a factual rumor but gets the timing off). It's possible he gets bad info, and posts it without vetting it. It is obvious though that he has some sort of insider connection.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I don't know how you guys can doubt that Martian has sources. None of the insiders reported or hinted at Dadonov before he did. Look at Friedman and Garrioch hinting at the Pinto stuff a week or two before the gambling suspension came out. Sens getting punished for Dadonov was not something a person can randomly guess and get right.

Whether he is reliable is a different story entirely. It's possible he has sources, but also makes things up for hits. It's possible he gets bad info, and posts it without vetting it. It is obvious though that he has some sort of insider connection.

He very obviously has sources.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
would like to understand exactly what transpired here which most likely points to a firing level offence for Pierre

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
He said "Pierre Dorion has been relieved of his duties as GM" then he walked it back. He said it wasn't done yet later after everyone popped champagne.

He said "will be".

It's fine to criticize, and you can think he's full of shit, but at least get it right. It's easy to actually check a tweet.

That's not exactly a ballsy call though, as anyone except for Dorion's nephews who hang out here knew it was a matter of weeks if not days.

Reactions: DrEasy

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

He said "will be".

It's fine to criticize, and you can think he's full of shit, but at least get it right. It's easy to actually check a tweet.

That was a given the moment Andlauer was handed the keys.

Like predicting conflict in the Middle East.

He doesn't get partial credit for this

Masterplan

May 9, 2022
How is this worth a 1st rounder? What hardship did Vegas incur but getting Weber instead of John Moore? So ridiculous, if this was a big market team there is no way they take a 1st rounder.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

He said "will be".

I dont think he's full of shit he's clearly an insider I'm not disputing that. Just don't get this fanbase pumped for a move we all want when it's not done that's all I'm saying. He was probably right with that tweet and Dorion is gone it was just annoying to have that tweet then be like I mean he's on shaky ground. Just tweet the shaky ground tweet and leave out the relieved of GM duties that's all I'm saying.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
That was a given the moment Andlauer was handed the keys.

Like predicting conflict in the Middle East.

He doesn't get partial credit for this

Sure. But you can say that about anything. It doesn't take an insider to know that the Leafs are trying to, and probably will, sign William Nylander. But when Chris Johnston tweets it and it happens a few weeks later, everyone will give him kudos.

Anyone who pays attention to the league can predict, with relative accuracy, a lot of firings, signings and trades.

DJ Smith will be fired sooner than later. I don't need to be an insider to call that, either.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You know, i thought the Debrincat trade to Detroit would be the last F U to the fans from Dorion but i was wrong.

Has a team ever LOST/SPENT as many first round picks during a rebuild? This is absolutely insane

2019 : 4th OA (Duchene fiasco), but thankfully we had the 19th OA and picked Lassi Thomson!
2021 : 10th OA (we drafted a 2nd round pick talent who just can't stay healthy)
2022 : 7th OA (DeBrincat fiasco), we'll need to hit an homerun with that late 1st in 2024 from Boston
2023 : 12th OA (Chychrun), at least this one might end up in a POSITIVE investment
2024-26 : ??th OA (Dodo striking again)

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Has a team ever LOST/SPENT as many first round picks during a rebuild? This is absolutely insane

2019 : 4th OA (Duchene fiasco), but thankfully we had the 19th OA and picked Lassi Thomson!
2021 : 10th OA (we drafted a 2nd round pick talent who just can't stay healthy)
2022 : 7th OA (DeBrincat fiasco), we'll need to hit an homerun with that late 1st in 2024 from Boston
2023 : 12th OA (Chychrun), at least this one might end up in a POSITIVE investment
2024-26 : ??th OA (Dodo striking again)

The pressure to force a competitive product on to the ice to try and save the season ticket base that dwindled in response to Melnyk's actions meant that the team pretty much did not have a real rebuild.

For every pick we acquired, we burned another one trying to offload a bad contract or overpay for a veteran whose salary was favourable to our budget.

The 2020 draft saved the rebuild. If Stutzle and Sanderson aren't on the board at 3 and 5, we're now probably thinking about blowing it up again. Imagine this team with Byfield and Quinn instead of Stutzle and Sanderson. While those are still two good young players who will be stars, Stutzle and Sanderson are already near-superstars at their positions.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He was under contract at 3.6 AAV last season, he could have even been our own "rental" for the season but any hope of extension was apparently gone with Paul being traded
This is where you lose me with the “own rental” comment. You are one of the biggest Asset Management proponents and now you want “own rentals”

Reactions: aragorn

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I never have any discussions with this poster when I am positive. There are countless threads, he only quotes me when I point out something negative. The irony about content here is palpable. For example there is a Kings Sens thread right now I dont see him posting anywhere.
I think posters/fans just like to focus on things that are happening in general. If they perceive some things that happened weren't good, they'll make comments to that effect. If they see or perceive something positive, they'll comment about that. For example, posters/fans were pretty happy generally when the Debrincat trade went down.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Can you point, specifically, to where I called them "bad fans"? I'm working on improving myself and I don't want to be caught in the same kind of negativity I'm apparently complaining about.
I used that term as a "general comment". That "bad fan" term has become a bit of meme in here. Don't read too much in to it.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I didn’t mean to suggest people should eat crow for personally disliking Martian.

Many said he was wrong or was making it up.

Clearly he has some info. Those who said he was wrong about the info or that he didn’t have sources should eat crow.
I did make a post asking about this person. I wasn't sure whether he was credible or not, so thought it was better to ask. I'll admit, I tend to be skeptical at times until I have something concrete.

Reactions: Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The pressure to force a competitive product on to the ice to try and save the season ticket base that dwindled in response to Melnyk's actions meant that the team pretty much did not have a real rebuild.

For every pick we acquired, we burned another one trying to offload a bad contract or overpay for a veteran whose salary was favourable to our budget.

The 2020 draft saved the rebuild. If Stutzle and Sanderson aren't on the board at 3 and 5, we're now probably thinking about blowing it up again. Imagine this team with Byfield and Quinn instead of Stutzle and Sanderson. While those are still two good young players who will be stars, Stutzle and Sanderson are already near-superstars at their positions.

Did not have a real rebuild? Every single player from that 2017 playoffs run was gone within 2-3 years... All the core players until Giroux have been raised in the organization, mostly draft picks or young players acquired in the firesale. We went through the whole rebuild without any quality veteran except Connor Brown, then Claude Giroux...

I understand the point you're trying to make but :

2019 : Dorion didn't evaluate the state of the team correctly after the cup run and how banged up they were. MacArthur, Methot, Ryan and other injured players were not properly replaced or acquainted for. We replaced a good 2-way center (Turris) by an all-offense C (Duchene) and thought everything would be fine. It's when we should have started to understand his little understanding/focus on 2-way play and his tendency to go after "name recognition". The risk was real and it blew up in our face

2021 : Making that puzzling selection at 10th OA has nothing to do with what you were saying, the opposite actually as Boucher is really not the type of player that sells tickets

2022 & 2023 : Melnyk had already passed away...

2024-26 : We're losing a 1st because Dorion was our GM.

You can't really describe Brown as an own-rental because his 4M salary went to fund other moves. We were still a budget team. If we keep Brown, we lose 4M of other players. So there would have been no own-rental aspect to keeping Brown. Whether we used that 4M+2nd more effectively than keeping Brown would be a different argument entirely, but it isn't fair to categorize keeping him as an own-rental when his 4M would have deprived the team of other pieces that they either were able to keep or added.

Yeah, money has been so well spent during all these years. Brown at 4.0 would have been GOLD in comparison. Look at how Dorion spent the money in 2020-21, that is ATROCIOUS

This is where you lose me with the “own rental” comment. You are one of the biggest Asset Management proponents and now you want “own rentals”

Well, keep in mind it's impossible to explain everything in each and every post. It's pretty clear in my mind but I have no control if you can remember things I have already said or not.

Look at the lines from last season :

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Giroux
DeBrincat - Norris - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson
Gambrell

That looks fine on paper, but Formenton and Batherson were under scrutiny for that TC scandal... maybe we're lucky we didn't lose both... so if you remove Formenton, what happens if there's an injury in the Top-6? Exactly what happened. We signed Tyler Motte and Derick Brassard to have a bit of depth but DeBrincat didn't fit and was unmotivated, Pinto was rushed into a role he was not ready for after missing a whole season, Batherson was also still recovering from injury, Joseph mostly played with crap players, etc. and we ended up with probably the worst bottom-6 in the NHL. Connor Brown or a 2nd round pick? Well, in that case, having the player was more important...

You're also cofounding this and the whole problem with Dorion's asset management, we never said we should trade our players for picks... If you want some examples of what the problem has been, this post (#504) talks about it :

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad