D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Cut the Q bashing. More bad teams in the WHL.

Q has won six of the last ten Memorial Cups. WHL has gone winless for years unless they host the event and two league teams play a game so one has to win.
The Q imports way more Ontario players who don't make the cut here. Just look at the rosters of teams. That isn't bashing the Q, its a fact.

Reactions: Torgo

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
The Q is easily the weakest of the three but that isn't the purpose of this thread.

Then why has the alleged weakest league won 6 of the last 10 Memorial Cups?

OHL has the most homogeneous feeder and educational system. The Q has to navigate five provincial hockey philosophies and educational systems. Five feeder systems. Import and USA is a wash.

Yet the Q has won the majority of the Memorial Cups the last 10 seasons.

Purpose of this thread?????

Losers always revert to scapegoating. Can't be the coaching, management and the scouting. It's all Ryan Merkley's fault.

No reputable study has ever shown provincial behavior patterns for youngsters. However in the Q and QMAAA the coaches tend to be educators with a record of success.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

OHL has the most homogeneous feeder and educational system. The Q has to navigate five provincial hockey philosophies and educational systems. Five feeder systems. Import and USA is a wash.

Losers always revert to scapegoating. Can't be the coaching, management and the scouting. It's all Ryan Merkley's fault.

No reputable study has ever shown provincial behavior patterns for youngsters. However in the Q and QMAAA the coaches tend to be educators with a record of success.
The Memorial Cup is a 4 game tournament. Sometimes the host city gets bounced in the first round of their league playoff and end up winning the Memorial Cup.

Personally, I'd rather look at draft results and quality of competition but that's just me.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
The Memorial Cup is a 4 game tournament. Sometimes the host city gets bounced in the first round of their league playoff and end up winning the Memorial Cup.

Personally, I'd rather look at draft results and quality of competition but that's just me.

That's everyone else as well except for that poster who - coincidentally - is from Quebec

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Canadiens could not trade Lafleur for a bag of pucks, after three car accidents and not listening to Lemaire his head coach.

Yeah. That definitely never happened. Teams had no problems signing him even after years of being retired. LA even offered him a 1 million dollar contract.

Part of a dynasty, successful under Bowman, but somehow teams woudn't want him for a bag of pucks because he didn't fit under a rookie coach... sure.

Nevermind the fact that there was were offers from other teams, but Savard refused to be the GM to trade Lafleur. Even Glen Sather has spoken about trying to trade for him at the time.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.

When the OHL and WHL was winning Memorial Cups that was the key factor. Losing to the Q more often than not these last 10 years and the goalposts have been moved.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Yeah. That definitely never happened. Teams had no problems signing him even after years of being retired. LA even offered him a 1 million dollar contract.

Part of a dynasty, successful under Bowman, but somehow teams woudn't want him for a bag of pucks because he didn't fit under a rookie coach... sure.

Nevermind the fact that there was were offers from other teams, but Savard refused to be the GM to trade Lafleur. Even Glen Sather has spoken about trying to trade for him at the time.

Same Bowman who benched Lafleur in the 1974 playoffs against the Rangers for ignoring the the defensive game plan.

Savard knew when to wear his "Big boy" pants.

Phantom offers do not impress. You are amazingly silent about what was coming back to the Canadiens for Lafleur. Sather worked for Pocklington who could not pay his players. Yet he could pay Lafleur? Sure.

Mar 12, 2009

Kind of like you're using the OHL as a scapegoat in this situation? To you, it's everyone's fault except Merkley. Speaking of "losers", Merkley has never won anything and the team that got rid of him became winners...funny how that works.
When the OHL and WHL was winning Memorial Cups that was the key factor. Losing to the Q more often than not these last 10 years and the goalposts have been moved.
You've moved "the goalposts" from this being a discussion of Merkley, to you just arguing that the Q is the better junior league than the OHL. I'm honestly not even sure if you're serious or just stringing people along at this point.

Reactions: Mach85

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I think we hit the nadir with the pseudo Asperger's diagnosis.

If it was abundantly clear before, I was not diagnosing him with anything. I was saying it might be something to consider based on the stories mentioned in this thread with my 10+ years serving at risk youth with certification in ABA. I wasn't talking out of my ass as many in this thread would believe. I never claimed to have inside knowledge or actual proof.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Kind of like you're using the OHL as a scapegoat in this situation? To you, it's everyone's fault except Merkley. Speaking of "losers", Merkley has never won anything and the team that got rid of him became winners...funny how that works.

You've moved "the goalposts" from this being a discussion of Merkley, to you just arguing that the Q is the better junior league than the OHL. I'm honestly not even sure if you're serious or just stringing people along at this point.

Very basic question. Who are the mature adults in charge? Posters refuse to consider or answer this. Alluding to Burnett having issues falls way short. Follow the money trail.

The Q slowly purged the problematic coaches and management/ownership. 2-3 limp ones still hanging around.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
If it was abundantly clear before, I was not diagnosing him with anything. I was saying it might be something to consider based on the stories mentioned in this thread with my 10+ years serving at risk youth with certification in ABA. I wasn't talking out of my ass as many in this thread would believe. I never claimed to have inside knowledge or actual proof.
If we wanna play the credentials game I have a PhD in clinical psych and I can tell you that there's zero to indicate the presence of what you speak of. Stop with the mental health speculation.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If we wanna play the credentials game I have a PhD in clinical psych and I can tell you that there's zero to indicate the presence of what you speak of. Stop with the mental health speculation.

Mic drop.

Reactions: Mach85

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Come on man, you're going to the depths of the Mariana Trench to defend this guy. He's a terrible teammate with a ton of warts in his game. Some people are bad apples and he's one of them. That doesn't mean he's irredeemable or without hope but he's going to have to radically change who he is as a person for that to happen. Maybe he should have a fireside chat with Tony D?

Reactions: Pia8988 and snipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad