D Ryan Merkley - Peterborough Petes, OHL (2018, 21st, SJS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Why is this a low? Or how are they even defending his behavior? I personally questioned whether this player suffers from NPD. Some of the behavior we've seen from him mirror some of the symptoms.

This obviously isn't a person who has compete control over their behavior if they continue to burn bridges regardless of where he plays.

Something's up.

One should be extremly careful to diagnos someone from a distance though. It’s bad enough that parents are trying to push their kids onto the spectrum as soon as they are not behaving as well as hoped. Seems like every kid with parents from the academic middle class gets diagnosed with autism or ADD(or dyslexia) as soon as they behave badly or don’t do well in school. Sometimes it’s not a diagnosis just a severe lack of maturity, not having the type of intelligence you need to do well in school, shitty parenting/messy home situation or all of the above.

Take it from someone who’s worked in the psych world for several years. It’s not good for the kids who actually have the diagnosis and it’s not good for the kids who are wrongly diagnosed (or everyone around them just assuming they have something they don’t). There’s both an over and under diagnosing of these things and it’s not benefitting anyone.
So unless Merkley himself decides he wants to tell media about anything in this realm(or deny)I seriously think we should stay away from speculating.

Reactions: belair

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Holy ****. We have now reached the point where someone defending him is speculating he might have Aspergers. Jesus ****ing christ that is a new low.

Yep. Some people are just bad people or incredibly immature, there doesn’t need to be an underlying issue.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
One should be extremly careful to diagnos someone from a distance though. It’s bad enough that parents are trying to push their kids onto the spectrum as soon as they are not behaving as well as hoped. Seems like every kid with parents from the academic middle class gets diagnosed with autism or ADD(or dyslexia) as soon as they behave badly or don’t do well in school. Sometimes it’s not a diagnosis just a severe lack of maturity, not having the type of intelligence you need to do well in school, ****ty parenting/messy home situation or all of the above.
In my eyes, a part of the problem is just this, people going "no, that can't be the case!" without giving it serious thought. While the quiet shut-in super untalkative type is the stereotype, it's very possible to be talkative and even obnoxious, on the opposite extreme of the spectrum - the common denominator being very underdeveloped social skills and lack of incentive to be friendly with others(brain functionality-wise). I wouldn't be shocked if these cases were the ones that oftentimes never are diagnosed.

I don't know enough about Merkley to know one way or another.
Yep. Some people are just bad people or incredibly immature, there doesn’t need to be an underlying issue.
But it's not impossible.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
The problem being, "if" he plays in the OHL this year, Petes owe Guelph three more picks. 4th round pick in 2022, 2nd round pick in 2023, 3rd round pick in 2024... If they don't get AT LEAST that back in a trade, they are better off not making the trade and letting him sit. SO, that is a challenge of it's own when making a trade, even if there is an interested party.
And there it is

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Why is this a low? Or how are they even defending his behavior? I personally questioned whether this player suffers from NPD. Some of the behavior we've seen from him mirror some of the symptoms.

This obviously isn't a person who has compete control over their behavior if they continue to burn bridges regardless of where he plays.

Something's up.
All abnormal behaviour/mental disorders exist on a spectrum. All people will possess these traits to a certain extent, ranging from meaningless and almost imperceptible to clinically significant. Just because someone seems full of themselves doesn't mean there's reason to think they have NPD. In fact, the probability is exceedingly high that they don't. This trend of speculating on mental health status based on limited knowledge of public behaviour is not a good one.

Reactions: belair

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Mental health issues aside, the kicking kitten incident, the kar keying incident aside, the baby dropping incident aside, the fact that he probably actually beat up two teammates aside.... Heard he's a decent offensive defenseman or something...?

So we have Sid Vicious on our team. Why do you even care to argue over this? How about we all agree that Merkeley is Uber talented but a little crazy. He busts, who cares. He doesn't Sharks fans actually get a win on a high risk prospect and everyone laughs it off. Friggin lighten up a bit.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
No. The truth is that the genius George Burnett was slickered by the Petes GM out of three draft picks. Trust you can at least connect the dots.
This. Team were honestly expecting karlsson to test ufa and the sharks to need a rhd and keep him on the roster . They didn't expect to have to pay these draft picks

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All abnormal behaviour/mental disorders exist on a spectrum. All people will possess these traits to a certain extent, ranging from meaningless and almost imperceptible to clinically significant. Just because someone seems full of themselves doesn't mean there's reason to think they have NPD. In fact, the probability is exceedingly high that they don't. This trend of speculating on mental health status based on limited knowledge of public behaviour is not a good one.
I wholeheartedly agree. But IMO it's just as offensive as calling the kid 'a clown' or piling on the kid hoping that he fails just for an 'I told you so'.

FWIW I think junior hockey is an opportunity for these kids to work all of the kinks out and learn how to deal with different personalities in their locker room. As a fan I don't see the detriment he can have towards the development of other players on his team when he's ultimately bringing the offense he's capable of. We learn from our own mistakes, but we also learn from others'. I just find it interesting that the coaches and GMs of these teams don't feel the same way.

So what we have now is one player in an entire league who's being outed as the player that nobody wants.

Mar 12, 2009
This. Team were honestly expecting karlsson to test ufa and the sharks to need a rhd and keep him on the roster . They didn't expect to have to pay these draft picks
Yes they did. His defensive game is terrible, no one "expected" he'd be in the NHL this season. They paid what they did expecting an elite offensive D for two years (last year and this year being window years where they may have a chance to go for it). He's exactly what their team was (and again is without him) lacking. If he wasn't a problem, he's the exact type of player they needed to contend, and even paying the additional draft picks would be considered a steal based on what players of lesser calibre have been going for in recent seasons. These conspiracy theories are funny though.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
That is what leads me to believe he has some form of Asperger's. Just by your description of what these teams are dealing with, I can totally relate on a daily basis from a personal level. It doesn't matter how much training or education I have in dealing with it, it grinds you down but you have to realize that it is a person that needs help despite them fighting you nearly every step of the way. What irks me is that most people see it as being a spoiled or entitled ******* but it goes deeper than that. It's knowing how to deal with a person like that and I am sure these coaches are not equipped to dealing with a guy like that or the patience, especially since they are responsible for the development of so many other young players, so it is easy to move on from him.

Like I said, I could be way off base but from what you have reported (seeing or hearing I am not sure but I trust that you have some knowledge since you started this thread and have followed him since) I wouldn't be shocked if that was the case.

I have dealt with multiple people all over the spectrum, it is not a disservice at all. Just because one guy is a pleasure to work with isn't the case with others (quite the opposite in my experience). That is a statement out of ignorance of the subject.

I dont think he has aspergers at all. Just an inflated ego. Like, we have plenty of interviews and videos with him. Guy understands irony, the second degree, he jokes around approprietly, he reacts approprietly to social cues, theres nothing there. I'm not sure what you mean by "some form" of aspergers either. Theres just the one. Did you mean the autism spectrum ? It gets thrown around way too much to people who just dont fit it whatsoever. Like, most people who have social issues arent on the spectrum, most problem employees dont either, though it does help not to take responsibility for ones actions. His issues dont sound anything like the kind you see from people with aspergers. I mean, with an actual diagnosis, not self diagnosed.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I wholeheartedly agree. But IMO it's just as offensive as calling the kid 'a clown' or piling on the kid hoping that he fails just for an 'I told you so'.

FWIW I think junior hockey is an opportunity for these kids to work all of the kinks out and learn how to deal with different personalities in their locker room. As a fan I don't see the detriment he can have towards the development of other players on his team when he's ultimately bringing the offense he's capable of. We learn from our own mistakes, but we also learn from others'. I just find it interesting that the coaches and GMs of these teams don't feel the same way.

So what we have now is one player in an entire league who's being outed as the player that nobody wants.

We're gonna have to disagree on that one. 1) It's a caricature of the opinion of "the other side" in this thread. 2) It trivializes what people with actual mental health issues (assuming Merkely doesn't, as should be the assumption here) and adds to negative stigma against people who have done nothing except exist. Merkley is being criticized for his documented behaviour and his chances as a prospect are being gauged in a way that includes that misbehaviour. Which is what we do on this site: gauge a prospect's chances.

As for coaches and GMs not thinking people can learn from their mistakes, that's not accurate. If that were the case, MORE players would be getting kicked off teams with no takers. For a guy as talented as Merkley, coaches and GMs had every excuse to try and make it work so they could add a star to their roster. The fact that several have given up should say something.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

It is this. rebuilding OHL teams don't want a guy who was a 1st round pick and has an ELC setting an example for the younger players with the actions Merkley does. He constantly argues with Refs (hell, he threw a glove at one), belittles teammates, quits on plays, dives and ignores coaching. That isn't someone you want anywhere near a leadership situation on your team. Good teams, which have strong leadership don't want the headache and distraction (along with his very inconsistent play).

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
It is this. rebuilding OHL teams don't want a guy who was a 1st round pick and has an ELC setting an example for the younger players with the actions Merkley does. He constantly argues with Refs (hell, he threw a glove at one), belittles teammates, quits on plays, dives and ignores coaching. That isn't someone you want anywhere near a leadership situation on your team. Good teams, which have strong leadership don't want the headache and distraction (along with his very inconsistent play).

Sounds like certain present and past NHL greats. Sidney, Wayne, Mario at the top of the list. Only thing missing is crashing cars.

Applicable to a fair number of NFL first rounders over the years and NBA picks.

He should talk to Bryce Harper about getting along with game officials.

Let Bobby Orr illustrate proper on ice decorum:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sounds like certain present and past NHL greats. Sidney, Wayne, Mario at the top of the list. Only thing missing is crashing cars.

Applicable to a fair number of NFL first rounders over the years and NBA picks.

He should talk to Bryce Harper about getting along with game officials.
I don't think any of those guys have ever not been wanted on a team. But, whatever, draw whatever conclusions you want.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
If he won't be played and he won't be traded, could this result in his contract being cancelled and open up other options for him (Europe, AHL)? I have no ideas how this is likely to play out or what the rules are, but this could be the best possible case for his development.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he won't be played and he won't be traded, could this result in his contract being cancelled and open up other options for him (Europe, AHL)? I have no ideas how this is likely to play out or what the rules are, but this could be the best possible case for his development.
He'd have to clear CHL waivers, and some bad team in the Q will pick him up if it came to that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Canadiens could not trade Lafleur for a bag of pucks, after three car accidents and not listening to Lemaire his head coach.
Or he could be like Ho-Sang or Shinkaruk. You know, the more likely outcomes. But, if you want to compare him to all-time greats go right ahead. Can't remember any of the guys you are mentioning being dumped by their junior teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad