D Leon Muggli - EV Zug, NL(A) (2024 Draft)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Been impressed all tournament with his game.

I actually don't think he had a good tournament. Too many giveaways and he was the lone responsible for at least two goals against. On the one play he was too soft and passive, then scored an own goal vs the US as well. Now today that stupid boarding vs Norway. Ustinkov has been far better than Muggli in this WJC20.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He had some nice individual plays but I agree that he hasnt even remotely been playing up to his potential. Especially defensively he isnt usually this prone to mistakes and the boarding was uncharacteristic too. Maybe he just wanted to do to much because of the scouts, I don't know.

I dont think Ustinkov has been that good either though. I definitely expected him to drive the play more from the back end. Aside from a couple secondary/pp assists today he hasnt exactly generated much offense yet.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He had some nice individual plays but I agree that he hasnt even remotely been playing up to his potential. Especially defensively he isnt usually this prone to mistakes and the boarding was uncharacteristic too. Maybe he just wanted to do to much because of the scouts, I don't know.

I dont think Ustinkov has been that good either though. I definitely expected him to drive the play more from the back end. Aside from a couple secondary/pp assists today he hasnt exactly generated much offense yet.

I think Ustinkov has been really good. Can't expect much more from a double underager defenseman. He's been rocksolid against the puck and didn't have any horrible giveaways either. Nothing too crazy offensively but lots if good breakout passes and clean zone exits. Very calm with the puck, sometimes beating opponents with speed or moves when given a chance. I think he's been one of the better Swiss defensemen.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I think Ustinkov has been really good. Can't expect much more from a double underager defenseman. He's been rocksolid against the puck and didn't have any horrible giveaways either. Nothing too crazy offensively but lots if good breakout passes and clean zone exits. Very calm with the puck, sometimes beating opponents with speed or moves when given a chance. I think he's been one of the better Swiss defensemen.
I guess it all comes down to expectations. He was certainly solid defensively but I don't think he has raised his draft stock much. I personally hoped he could do more offensively. I haven't really seen many plays where he created something in that regard with his speed or his hands...

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Best PPG Def U18 in NLA history (or almost).

Hansruedi Tanner 0.33 (1966-67) 7 points in 21 games
Leon Muggli 0.32 (2023-24) 11 points in 34 games
Roman Josi 0.23 (2007-08) 8 points in 35 games

And he is a very effective defender on defense. At the U20 tournament, he was used in a stabilizing role next to Dionicio

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

And he is a very effective defender on defense. At the U20 tournament, he was used in a stabilizing role next to Dionicio
I have written a lot in this thread about his defensive qualities. But i am really surprised about his offensive contribution this season. And I am not just talking about points. I watched the game vs. the Lakers the other day and Zug was trailing in the third. Muggli was relied heavily upon in this stretch and initiated a lot of attacks with smart outlet passes and zone entries. His wrist shot is also already a pretty effective tool on a pro level. Its not super hard but it leaves his stick in a hurry and is somewhat deceptive. I think all of his goals came of wrist shots from pretty far out and also some of his assists came from rebounds of such shots.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I think you're confusing Muggli with Terraneo who was Dionicio's partner at the WJC20. Terraneo played a fantastic tournament. Muggli did not. I understand that he was a double underager but he was clearly outplayed by Ustinkov who is even a few days younger and has less NL experience. I honestly don't know why Coaches continued to play Muggli. He created no offense at all, he was soft against the puck, especially boxing out in tight which led to lots of preventable quality chances and even goals against. The only time he actually did something physical was on the extremely dumb hit he should have gotten a longer suspension for.

He played exactly one good game which was the most important one, the knockout game vs Sweden. Other than that I found him to be underwhelming considering his NL experience.

His NL play is very good though. There's no doubt about that. The Zug defense may be the toughest to crack leaguewide. He wouldn't be playing if he wasn't for real.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Muggli has his first NL playoff goal. Now at least 50% of this goal belong to Marc Michaelis who used Corban Knight to provide a double screen but it was still a nice walk on the blueline and good awareness by Muggli realizing the opportunity and a good job by him to get the puck on net through the attempted blocks.

Had himself a pretty good regular season as well. Very solid and reliable against the puck. Scoring not quite comparable to Reinbacher's draft season but Muggli scored 4 points more than Josi back in the days. Note that the NL is a much better league now than it was in 2008. 12 points despite averaging just 12:50 and without playing PP is very good for a two way defenseman.

offtopic question: is search ever gonna work again? or is there a way to make it work? whatever I try to search for and however I try to make it work, ever since the migration, search always returning empty for me...which is slightly annoying and makes it almost impossible to bump a thread. That one was on page 13 or so of the prospects board and it took me ages to find it.

Last edited:

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
He‘s ranked as number 11 on the nhl central scouting skaters list. He‘s underrated in my opinion. Could be a late 1st early secound round pick a player this young in the swiss NL with scoring numbers and ice time like that should have more popularity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad