D Leon Muggli - EV Zug, NL(A) (2024 Draft)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
With a strong off season Leon Muggli seems to have grabbed a spot in Zugs lineup and therefore improved his outlook for next years draft dramatically. Muggli is a two way defenseman who is mostly recognized for his defensive play but also has an underrated offensive upside in my opinion. He plays a very mature game and doesn't like to take risks. He usually opts out to make the high percentage play in his own zone and therefore makes little defensive mistakes. Muggli uses his body extremely well around the walls and in the corners and is often able to nail down incoming forwards in that areas or push them of the puck. He has even displayed this at times in his first few NLA games. His physical attributes are impressive for his age. He looked more like playing against peers than like a boy against men so far when it comes to physicality. His size on EP might actually not be current anymore as he appears to be bigger than 6 feet and 165 lbs on the ice.

While Mugglis defensive game is his main strength he is not without offensive upside either. He likes to join the rush if its safe and because of his good skating is an effective player on the cycle where he can elude opposing players with his strong edge work. On the junior level he also showed enough skating and puck protection ability to move the puck himself up the ice in even strength and PP scenarios effectively. He does this a little to seldom though for my liking in order to play a low risk game. On the PP his playmaking skills are solid but his shot seems really lacking which holds him back from being an above average PP QB even on the junior level. His shot mostly seems to lack power and he often needs to settle down passes instead of getting of a slap shot immediately. This seems to be the main area where he needs to put in work as of now.

I have often been wrong with my draft predictions of Swiss players in the past so I won't make a concrete one here. But I can't imagine Muggli being left on the shelf in 2024 if he continues on this trajectory.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Played heavy minutes as well for a kid. Not quite in Reinbacher territory but over 13mins per game I believe. Also, Zug is obviously a much better team than Kloten. Much more money at hand, much tougher competition.

To compare, Daniil Ustinkov, the only other 06 kid in the league and widely regarded as Switzerland's nr.1 prospect in the upcoming draft, only played two of three NL games and averaged just 8mins or so.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Played heavy minutes as well for a kid. Not quite in Reinbacher territory but over 13mins per game I believe. Also, Zug is obviously a much better team than Kloten. Much more money at hand, much tougher competition.

To compare, Daniil Ustinkov, the only other 06 kid in the league and widely regarded as Switzerland's nr.1 prospect in the upcoming draft, only played two of three NL games and averaged just 8mins or so.
Yes, It seems that he just got an opportunity in the preseason and ran with it. Granted, Nico Gross is still injured so Mugglis ice time could still get cut as the season goes along. But its certainly a positive surprise how much opportunity he has gotten so far.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Still a regular with Zug and playing well. I didn't expect that at all. He's the lone 06 born regular in the NL because Daniil Ustinkov, at the moment, is clearly not.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What do you think is his draft range?

I have no idea. The 2024 draft is gonna be loaded with quality defense prospects so that doesn't make it any easier. If he's an NL regular all season long then he should get drafted at the very least. Should he be able to generate more offense or get regular special teams ice time then I think he could go as early as the 2nd round. Way too early to tell though. Right now I'd say he's gonna go somewhere in the middle.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What do you think is his draft range?
Coming back to your question...Muggli was just given a B rating by Central Scouting which means they expect him to go in the 2nd or 3rd round. If that's where Muggli ends up going then that's a very good result for Muggli. I expected him to get drafted but not this early. His strong start to the season of course was helpful though.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Had a primary assist and played over 17mins including PK tonight. I don't think he ever played that much and I also didn't notice him playing regular PK shifts before. Also, this was a tight 4-3 OT win for Zug. Usually, Muggli's TOI is lower in tight games. Looks like he really earned the trust of the coaches now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He’ll be the first Swiss player drafted.
Too early to tell but yeah, at this point he's certainly the favourite to go first among Swiss born skaters. Christian Kirsch is the wild card though. There aren't a lot of good goalies available in 2024 and the highest ranked goalies of most scouting services are rather small. Christian Kirsch doesn't have an impressive track record but he does have very high potential. He's big and extremely mobile, a very good athlete. That's the type of goalie teams are looking for and it only takes one team to take a punt so I think he's the wild card. Could go almost anywhere in the draft outside of the 1st round maybe. Muggli is gonna have way more direct competition than Kirsch since there are gonna be lots of quality defensemen available.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Ustinkov stats still look very good.
Ustinkov is having a good season himself. However, he's quite far away from logging 17mins in an OT game at the highest level in Switzerland. If Muggli can keep this up it's gonna be difficult for Ustinkov to get drafted ahead of Muggli. Also, the reports out of Zug say that Muggli is heavily scouted by NHL teams. Looks like he's certainly more heavily scouted than Ustinkov if that's an indiciation. Zug's GM said they were approached by angry NHL scouts when they decided to play Muggli on the U20 elites team instead of the NL team one day. He also said they have to shield him from NHL teams because they wanna to talk to the player all the time.

Good Swiss age group if there are 3 options able to be debated to be drafted in the first 2 rounds
No real superstar but the 06 age group is the best maybe in forever. The depth is insane and there are a few late birthdays not even eligible for the upcoming draft. There are a few overagers who could potentially get drafted though. Leo Braillard or Miles Muller for example.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Great to see how he is doing. He has always been a favourite of mine. Is there maybe even a small chance that he slips in late in the first round if the continues this trajectory?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great to see how he is doing. He has always been a favourite of mine. Is there maybe even a small chance that he slips in late in the first round if the continues this trajectory?
There's always a chance because it only takes one team but realistically that's not gonna happen. In a different year maybe but the 2024 draft is gonna be packed with quality defensemen so Muggli is gonna be one of many. He's come a long way this season already. Nobody expected him to be a regular on Zug's NL team and nobody expected him to generate more hype than Ustinkov either.

There are just so many bigger high scoring defensemen available that Muggli would probably have to up his NL scoring and have a dominant WJC20 tournament in order to have a real shot at a 1st round selection. For example, 6'2/200lbs righty defender Carter Yakemchuk who is scoring north of PPG on a WHL team with almost zero offense is currently considered to be nothing more than a mid 1st round pick. This is how good the 2024 defense group is.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Goal and assist today, this kid could go top-20
That would shock me. The upcoming draft is gonna be defense heavy.
But yeah. Received over 17mins of icetime again tonight so he's trending in the right direction.

A good WJC20 would definitely help his chances but I'm not even sure if his selection is guaranteed. Lots of young defensemen in Swiss pro hockey right now and I expect Lian Bichsel to join as well.

Reactions: pgfan66

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
That would shock me. The upcoming draft is gonna be defense heavy.
But yeah. Received over 17mins of icetime again tonight so he's trending in the right direction.

A good WJC20 would definitely help his chances but I'm not even sure if his selection is guaranteed. Lots of young defensemen in Swiss pro hockey right now and I expect Lian Bichsel to join as well.

I don't see how Jenni could not select him. I don't think a case can be made to take any Swiss U20 D besides Bichsel over Muggli at this point. Maybe Dionicio because the team is desperately in need of offense, but thats already debatable.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don't see how Jenni could not select him. I don't think a case can be made to take any Swiss U20 D besides Bichsel over Muggli at this point. Maybe Dionicio because the team is desperately in need of offense, but thats already debatable.
Simone Terraneo is playing a mighty strong NL season. Louis Füllemann is having a good season as well. They're also gonna want some righties on the roster so expect Schneller, Moser and Quinn to get a bonus. And we haven't even talked about the likes of Ustinkov, Meile, Christe etc.

I think it's likely Muggli makes the roster but there's stiff competition this year.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Simone Terraneo is playing a mighty strong NL season. Louis Füllemann is having a good season as well. They're also gonna want some righties on the roster so expect Schneller, Moser and Quinn to get a bonus. And we haven't even talked about the likes of Ustinkov, Meile, Christe etc.

I think it's likely Muggli makes the roster but there's stiff competition this year.
All the players you mentioned, except maybe Terraneo, are having significantly less impressive seasons than Muggli though. I just don't see a scenario where you reasonably pick six dmen over him for the World Juniors this year. He even played on his off side quite well at the last U18's. So having to many lefties on the roster is not an argument either in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgfan66

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
All the players you mentioned, except maybe Terraneo, are having significantly less impressive seasons than Muggli though. I just don't see a scenario where you reasonably pick six dmen over him for the World Juniors this year. He even played on his off side quite well at the last U18's. So having to many lefties on the roster is not an argument either in my book.
We'll see. I would select Muggli of course and he's likely to get selected, I just don't think it's as clear as you may think. Behind Lian Bichsel there are maybe 8 defenders all on a very similar level. I'm not convinced Muggli is that much better than Eric Schneller or Nick Meile as we speak. He does have more upside but if you have lots of players on a similar level it comes down to lots of factors which one you prefer.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Another primary assist vs Bern today. He has been a solid contributor offensively as of late and shown that he is not just a purley defensive minded dman as some scouts have described him in in the past.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah. Nice shot from the blueline. Also logged 17mins of ice time again. Including PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad