Waived: D Jack Johnson

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This is the right decision. On many fronts. What the hell happened to Bitteto, seemed like he just disappeared into the void lol, and I don't remember him officially being sent to the taxi squad but that's where he is on capfriendly.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This is good. In retrospect, Gorts couldve have found a more serviceable 6th/7th D man for the same price, but ultimately Hajek/any other D prospect won the job which is what I think everyone had hoped for.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
hes fine on the taxi. Bitetto is there too

I think Bitetto is on IR. The Rangers need Bitetto to fill the expansion draft requirement. I doubt he goes on waivers this year.

Per CapF, Bitetto is back on Taxi.
He had been waived once already, to Taxi, earlier. Has only 9 games this year which may be why re-waivers werent needed

Re above, this from today, Backes also waived today
Backes hit 10 games last night. Waivers is just a formality so he can keep going back and forth from NHL roster to Taxi squad.

Reactions: bernmeister

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Pretty much this was expected.

For all the gnashing of teeth, we did talk about how his tenure was likely to be relatively short, especially if other options emerged.

That’s more or less where we are at.
But the gnashing of teeth was justified. It was a bad signing for the beginning. If he was just the third worst D in the league you could argue, then at least he's not the other guy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But the gnashing of teeth was justified. It was a bad signing for the beginning. If he was just the third worst D in the league you could argue, then at least he's not the other guy.

I am not a fan of Johnson by any stretch, but we previously discussed why that marriage came together. It was one of convenience and familiarity and for a limited engagement. And that’s more or less what it’s been.

When all is said and done we literally dedicated more pages to discussing Johnson than games he will have actually played.

Reactions: GAGLine

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This move is irrelevant. Unless he is claimed, which is unlikely, all it does is let them assign him to the taxi squad on days he is not playing to bank extra cap space. Makes no difference at all to his standing as the 6 or 7th defenseman. He has played 13 of 26 games and a bunch of the games he missed was due to injury.

Additionally in 13 games he has one point, has been outattempted by 39, outshot by 14, an outscored by 5 so to act like he hasn't been an issue is wrong.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This move is irrelevant. Unless he is claimed, which is unlikely, all it does is let them assign him to the taxi squad on days he is not playing to bank extra cap space. Makes no difference at all to his standing as the 6 or 7th defenseman. He has played 13 of 26 games and a bunch of the games he missed was due to injury.

Additionally in 13 games he has one point, has been outattempted by 39, outshot by 14, an outscored by 5 so to act like he hasn't been an issue is wrong.

Funny thing is I don’t think anyone doesn’t view him as an issue, so much as whether they view it as a topic features so prominently.

There’s very little debate on the issue, so much as variance in interest. Otherwise we’re all pretty much United in thinking JJ sucks.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Funny thing is I don’t think anyone doesn’t view him as an issue, so much as whether they view it as a topic features so prominently.

There’s very little debate on the issue, so much as variance in interest. Otherwise we’re all pretty much United in thinking JJ sucks.

That's because there's always this narrative that guys like Glass, McLeod, Johnson are not a major issue to be featured prominently because they play limited minutes because they don't comprehend just how much damage they do in those minutes. Those guys are among the biggest issues the team has had. Replacing someone like Glass/McLeod with someone like Blackwell/Di Giuseppe is a large upgrade that costs almost nothing and can be done easily. Fixing issues like Zibanejad not playing well is significantly tougher and cannot be done cheaply nor easily.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's because there's always this narrative that guys like Glass, McLeod, Johnson are not a major issue to be featured prominently because they play limited minutes because they don't comprehend just how much damage they do in those minutes. Those guys are among the biggest issues the team has had. Replacing someone like Glass/McLeod with someone like Blackwell/Di Giuseppe is a large upgrade that costs almost nothing and can be done easily. Fixing issues like Zibanejad not playing well is significantly tougher and cannot be done cheaply nor easily.

Eh, I mean get ya. But at the same time, I feel like these situations often end up with the type of resolution you’re talking about anyway.

Which is more or less where we are heading now. Even Hajek is probably more of a placeholder at this point.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
He would have to have gone back to taxi within 30 days of waivers (I think)
Which he may have.

i am not a CBA expert
but per below, it seems was waived Jan 11, first called up on Feb 1
and most recently assigned to taxi on Mar 5 -
perhaps while he was injured, the clock was stopped?

or might each assignment to taxi (or minors) re-set the 30-day clock?

+++
UPDATE - found this at CF, seems the 30-days is cumulative, and so it seems time on Taxi halts the 30-day count:
Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, and has not played in 10 or more NHL games. CBA Reference 13.2(b)
+++

New York Rangers Hockey Transactions | TSN
Fri, Mar 5 Anthony Bitetto, D - Designated for assignment Taxi squad
Wed, Feb 24 Anthony Bitetto, D - Called up from minors from taxi squad
Sun, Feb 21 Anthony Bitetto, D - Designated for assignment Taxi squad
Sat, Feb 20 Anthony Bitetto, D - Called up from minors from taxi squad
Fri, Feb 19 Anthony Bitetto, D - Designated for assignment Taxi squad
Thu, Feb 18 Anthony Bitetto, D - Called up from minors from taxi squad
Wed, Feb 17 Anthony Bitetto, D - Designated for assignment Taxi squad
Tue, Feb 16 Anthony Bitetto, D - Called up from minors from taxi squad
Sat, Feb 13 Anthony Bitetto, D - Designated for assignment Taxi squad
Mon, Feb 1 Anthony Bitetto, D - Called up from minors from taxi squad