D Evan Bouchard - London Knights, OHL (2018, 10th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Anyone found any shift by shift videos of him? I really want to review his skating and defensive play which he often is criticized for. Looking for more tape

lawrence

May 19, 2012

i'm not trying to sell this guy or say pick this guy, watch this video, I know it's cherry picked his goals and assist, but just look at him, is he a wizard offensive, my gosh Boeser/Pettersson can score an extra 10 goals on top of their projected rate. this guys is just a monster offensively not to mention him being able to hit the net like that.

his fake passes, the way he spots players open, the way he spots player THAT WILL BE open, sneaky guy, once he establishes chemistry with his teamates, my gosh look out. I can only imagine once he starts getting use to Pettersson/Boeser.... speechless...

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

i'm not trying to sell this guy or say pick this guy, watch this video, I know it's cherry picked his goals and assist, but just look at him, is he a wizard offensive, my gosh Boeser/Pettersson can score an extra 10 goals on top of their projected rate. this guys is just a monster offensively not to mention him being able to hit the net like that.

his fake passes, the way he spots players open, the way he spots player THAT WILL BE open, sneaky guy, once he establishes chemistry with his teamates, my gosh look out. I can only imagine once he starts getting use to Pettersson/Boeser.... speechless...

Er...I suppose he’s the guy you want for the Nucks? I think that could really make sense, actually. Vancouver needs d-men who can move the puck well, and Bouchard is one of the higher-floor guys in the draft and is already well established in that area. He also projects as a PPQB, which I think you guys need outside of maybe Stetcher (who’s probably a guy you want more for the second PP), and then there’s the Juolevi connection.

I think his weaknesses are overstated, too. His rumoured lack of speed and defensive proficiency are almost surely due mainly to the ridiculous amount of ice time he was logging in London. In fact, he tested as one of the fastest defensemen at the TPG. He also appears very earnest to learn and open to advice, and the tutelage of guys such as Edler and Tanev could have a great effect on him.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Er...I suppose he’s the guy you want for the Nucks? I think that could really make sense, actually. Vancouver needs d-men who can move the puck well, and Bouchard is one of the higher-floor guys in the draft and is already well established in that area. He also projects as a PPQB, which I think you guys need outside of maybe Stetcher (who’s probably a guy you want more for the second PP), and then there’s the Juolevi connection.

I think his weaknesses are overstated, too. His rumoured lack of speed and defensive proficiency are almost surely due mainly to the ridiculous amount of ice time he was logging in London. In fact, he tested as one of the fastest defensemen at the TPG. He also appears very earnest to learn and open to advice, and the tutelage of guys such as Edler and Tanev could have a great effect on him.

I’m also ok with boqvist or Hughes.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I feel like his skating actually gets underrated. He's pretty agile and can pick up good speed. Sure he's not Hughes or Dobson in that regard, but its not a weakness and it's something that can only get better.

I've seen Mark Stone go from being an absolutely horrible skater in juniors to being an NHL level skater. No reason to think that Bouchard can't improve either. It's one of the things that almost always improves in players.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I feel like his skating actually gets underrated. He's pretty agile and can pick up good speed. Sure he's not Hughes or Dobson in that regard, but its not a weakness and it's something that can only get better.

I've seen Mark Stone go from being an absolutely horrible skater in juniors to being an NHL level skater. No reason to think that Bouchard can't improve either. It's one of the things that almost always improves in players.
I find he has issues backward skating with agility. But, he's still worthy of being taking in the lottery.

As for Mark Stone, straight line speed is one of the easiest things to improve. 4-way mobility is always a challenge. But, to be honest every player after the top 5, its about what you can improve and fix.

Reactions: 99664987

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
People are making way too much about his skating. Yes its the worst of the bunch thats ranked near the top 10 - Dahlin, Dobson, Hughes, Boqvist , Ty Smith. But its not like he skates like Bobby Ryan or Dion Phaneuf out there.

His skating is above average just not elite like the guys mentioned above. Its more than good enough for the NHL.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
His defensive game isn't lights out and his skating isn't great. Will his production be able to continue into the NHL level? Does he offer anything else thats elite? (Physicality, defence, poise, etc...)

Will he be like a Leetch-ish type player? Sergei Zubov?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
His defensive game isn't lights out and his skating isn't great. Will his production be able to continue into the NHL level? Does he offer anything else thats elite? (Physicality, defence, poise, etc...)

Will he be like a Leetch-ish type player? Sergei Zubov?

I'm no scout but his production will certainly translate.

He's an elite passer, making him a beast in transition and has an elite shot as well.

Reactions: 99664987

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Finally got around to putting together a little video on Evan Bouchard regarding his hockey sense and defensive technique...(usual apologies because of my lackluster video editing ability and voiceover talent)...

Needless to say, this is not a highlight video...but nor is it a lowlight video...I grabbed a couple game's worth of shifts and broke down some plays.

I guess I'll share my little write-up on Bouchard as well, because not everyone knows my thoughts on him, so I should be forthcoming in unison with the video...

Evan Bouchard (London [OHL], #2, RHS RD) - Looks like a pro on the rink. Already has a healthy, thick frame and really just looks the part. Doesn't think the part very well. Poor hockey sense and his defensive awareness and feel in his own zone is poor. Has no sense of danger, looks like he's stuck in "lane hockey" mode. He won't cross the net line even if it close off a play, he'll chase players out high all the time, he gives up his feet in situations that do not call for it, isn't attentive near his net, no risk mitigation, isn't physical to close off plays. He generally just goes and stands in front of his goalie until the puck comes near him, then he'll chase it around for a little while. Has a plus first step and he can fly up the middle of the rink to join the rush with some powerful strides, which he does constantly. He can carry the puck and snap some passes around at a rate better than most offensive defensemen. He can bring a lot of heat from the point with his shot - has a slapper, a wrister and a one-timer that are a threat to score from well out. A little stiff out there sometimes and his compete level in his own zone is very weak. When the puck isn't near him, he might as well have bought a ticket to the game. His offensive upside is very high, and he'll have some really strong production early in his career like Phaneuf or even Letang, but as the game adapts to his physical traits, he'll struggle to keep the pace.

Hockey Sense: D
Skating speed/power/acc: A
Skating lateral/edges/agility: C+
Vision: C
Puck skills: B
Shot: A
Defense technique: D-
Defense urgency: D-
Frame/size: A-
Ceiling/Risk: High/Very high (2nd round)

I'm just about done by ranking of OHL d-men...I have in my second tier, just about the fifth d-men in the OHL...when he goes really high in the draft, I won't be shocked, when he has a strong first few seasons, I won't be shocked...long term, I don't like this prospect. I wouldn't recommend my club to draft him, but I understand what his appeal is...it's just not appealing to me...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
We definitely don't agree on this player, but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate and respect you putting in this kind of work.

One comment if I may: I think you should make more videos like these for sure, but when you do, try to keep your commentary a little more neutral. It sounds like you're being funny a bit, and I get that, but considering the humor is at the kid's expense... I dunno. Food for thought.

But on the topic of the video, I wonder if some of the things you observe as issues in this video are actually Bouchard playing London's slightly different system. There's an article on TheAthletic that I can go find, but it's a comparison of Bouchard and Dobson, and it makes the point that it is not London's system for Bouchard to be the first guy back. London uses a forward for that most of the time. Edit: Brown: A data-driven comparison of Evan Bouchard and Noah...

Thoughts on that? In a more general sense, could some of these problems be related to how London plays?

Edit: more questions/comments below

I definitely did notice some of the things you did. I was driven absolutely insane by the 1 on 4/5 rushes, which he has done a lot more times than we saw in the video.

A question I have for you is this: an awful lot of what you talk about in the video could be categorized under either "doing the little things" or "defensive play", and I think those two things are often considered things that players learn as they develop. What makes you conclude that Bouchard is hopeless (in those areas)? I mean, could Bouchard improve if he had a coach like you telling him about the things you talk about in the video? Or do you think he's been told that, but it just didn't take? You say at one point in the video that you don't think Bouchard is very good at learning.

You knew this question was coming: why doesn't anybody else see Bouchard as being as fatally bad in this department as you do? As your video rightly points out, he's made some pretty egregious errors. Why do you think other scouts aren't bothered by this? Or are they?

Last edited:

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Finally got around to putting together a little video on Evan Bouchard regarding his hockey sense and defensive technique...(usual apologies because of my lackluster video editing ability and voiceover talent)...

Needless to say, this is not a highlight video...but nor is it a lowlight video...I grabbed a couple game's worth of shifts and broke down some plays.

I guess I'll share my little write-up on Bouchard as well, because not everyone knows my thoughts on him, so I should be forthcoming in unison with the video...

Evan Bouchard (London [OHL], #2, RHS RD) - Looks like a pro on the rink. Already has a healthy, thick frame and really just looks the part. Doesn't think the part very well. Poor hockey sense and his defensive awareness and feel in his own zone is poor. Has no sense of danger, looks like he's stuck in "lane hockey" mode. He won't cross the net line even if it close off a play, he'll chase players out high all the time, he gives up his feet in situations that do not call for it, isn't attentive near his net, no risk mitigation, isn't physical to close off plays. He generally just goes and stands in front of his goalie until the puck comes near him, then he'll chase it around for a little while. Has a plus first step and he can fly up the middle of the rink to join the rush with some powerful strides, which he does constantly. He can carry the puck and snap some passes around at a rate better than most offensive defensemen. He can bring a lot of heat from the point with his shot - has a slapper, a wrister and a one-timer that are a threat to score from well out. A little stiff out there sometimes and his compete level in his own zone is very weak. When the puck isn't near him, he might as well have bought a ticket to the game. His offensive upside is very high, and he'll have some really strong production early in his career like Phaneuf or even Letang, but as the game adapts to his physical traits, he'll struggle to keep the pace.

Hockey Sense: D
Skating speed/power/acc: A
Skating lateral/edges/agility: C+
Vision: C
Puck skills: B
Shot: A
Defense technique: D-
Defense urgency: D-
Frame/size: A-
Ceiling/Risk: High/Very high (2nd round)

I'm just about done by ranking of OHL d-men...I have in my second tier, just about the fifth d-men in the OHL...when he goes really high in the draft, I won't be shocked, when he has a strong first few seasons, I won't be shocked...long term, I don't like this prospect. I wouldn't recommend my club to draft him, but I understand what his appeal is...it's just not appealing to me...

nicley done, thans alot for putting in the work.

So bouchard seems like a mike green clone (probably without the offensive potential from his younger days)...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Too be honest that highlite pack didnt do much for me. His feet arent moving enough while he makes plays. He wont score standing still like that, hard to tell if he has the mobility and edgework to be an effective d man at the NHL level. He has great vision and straight away speed but I dont see the quickness to change lanes to get shots through or escape a heavy forcheck.

Reactions: mantha39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad