D Erik Brannstrom (2017, 15th, VGK - Traded to OTT)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Brännström has been really good so far vs Russia. Nice move to make the Russian player take a penalty and then he scored a great goal walking by a Russian forward from the point on the PP. I was excited to see Liljegren but Brännström has been way better this game. Just one period of hockey played so far tho.

His shot was a thing of beauty, and the way he created his shooting lane was great as well. Liljegren has had some turnovers and hasn't been exciting offensively. We'll see what he does in the rest of the game, but you can see his skating and hands are top notch, at least.

PittsburghHustlers

Jan 9, 2017
Stockholm
His shot was a thing of beauty, and the way he created his shooting lane was great as well. Liljegren has had some turnovers and hasn't been exciting offensively. We'll see what he does in the rest of the game, but you can see his skating and hands are top notch, at least.

Agreed, Liljegrens hands and skating are top notch, but he's having a hard time this game, like he has too often this season.. still have high hopes for him tho.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I'm not sure he'd have much jet lag flying from Helsinki to Vienna. :)
I got this tidbit from an NHL scout this morning by text....

"Stopped at a gas station to get a Slovakia highway toll pass just outside of Bratislava and saw Heiskanen starting his 4-hour journey to Poprad for the U18's."

Heiskanen likely flew to Vienna and was hoofing it by van from there to Poprad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My opinion is that he is no worse than liljegren

I don't think he's much worse, but Liljegren has a few inches on Brannstrom and has a lot of weight on him as well. He has defensive potential in his game that just does not exist in Brannstrom's game. Whether Liljegren gets to that defensive potential is another story, but if you are looking for higher upside, I'd say its Liljegren. I think Liljegren has legit 1D upside, Brannstrom probably tops out somewhere as a fringe 1/2D as his ceiling.

I say that as someone who has Brannstrom ranked inside the top 10. I'd take Liljegren higher though. Higher defensive potential and a RH shot.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
My opinion is that he is no worse than liljegren

Pretty much my opinion the whole time, the only thing Liljegren really have over him is size. Thats why I thought last season when Liljegren was number 2 and Brännström not even in top 100 in some list, was weird.

There are questionmarks about how he will translate to NHL hockey, but there is tons of potential.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Really talented.

In limited viewings the game looks easy for him. Very smooth and comfortable with and without the puck. Very impressed.

I understand size is an issue, but he doesn't seem that small out there. I'd be shocked if he isn't a top 20 pick with all his upside.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Seems very similar to Karlsson at the same age. Always near the leaders of his international teams in scoring, a dominant J20 guy, already established time in the SHL. Dynamic skating and puck skills. Undersized.

Karlsson was similarly ranked as well, although he went quite a bit earlier than he was ranked. I would expect Brannstrom will also be a riser, given the upside of having an elite offensive d-man in this day and age.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I swear everytime an undersized offensive prospect dman comes around they get compared to Karlsson. Makar and him are this year's potential "new" Karlssons it seems. How about we lower our expectations a tad for him and hope for Brian Rafalski of a type?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I swear everytime an undersized offensive prospect dman comes around they get compared to Karlsson. Makar and him are this year's potential "new" Karlssons it seems. How about we lower our expectations a tad for him and hope for Brian Rafalski of a type?

Yeah, I completely agree. I was thinking Kimmo Timonen is a better comparable.

The player who might actually be comparable to Karlsson is Adam Boqvist, but thats next year. Why is it that every good Swedish defensemen is compared to Karlsson?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

The player who might actually be comparable to Karlsson is Adam Boqvist, but thats next year. Why is it that every good Swedish defensemen is compared to Karlsson?

I remember reading a tweet from. . . Ryan Kennedy saying a scout said the exact same thing, Kimmo Timonen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He's pretty close to the same size as Kronwall when he was drafted, and has pretty identical draft year stats.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
But Timonen wasn't "good" defensively. From 2007-2014 he was the 4th best shot suppressing d-man in the league. And those were his age 32-38 seasons. Timonen was elite defensively, at any strength, on top of being excellent offensively.

Brännström plays more dynamic with the puck than Kimmo, but that wasn't Kimmo's game really, which was predicated on pure efficiency and almost never making a mistake. Brännström is sturdy, incredibly intelligent, and rarely looks out of sort in his own end for a player his size, beyond just puck moving. He just has to be respectable and responsible enough in the d-zone at the NHL level -- mostly by preventing himself from being in many defensive situations -- to more than balance out his amazing offensive skills, and I think he can be that because he already is. Aside from stature, Timonen is not the style comparable that I think of.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
But Timonen wasn't "good" defensively. From 2007-2014 he was the 4th best shot suppressing d-man in the league. And those were his age 32-38 seasons. Timonen was elite defensively, at any strength, on top of being excellent offensively.

Brännström plays more dynamic with the puck than Kimmo, but that wasn't Kimmo's game really, which was predicated on pure efficiency and almost never making a mistake. Brännström is sturdy, incredibly intelligent, and rarely looks out of sort in his own end for a player his size, beyond just puck moving. He just has to be respectable and responsible enough in the d-zone at the NHL level -- mostly by preventing himself from being in many defensive situations -- to more than balance out his amazing offensive skills, and I think he can be that because he already is. Aside from stature, Timonen is not the style comparable that I think of.

Was he that good when he was 18 years as well?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't know what kind of question that is. Firstly, Timonen was a 10th round pick who didn't debut until age 24. Usually when people make a projectable comparison it's to a player as they are/were in the NHL, not as they were at 18. Maybe he was that good defensively at a young age and was severely underrated as a player; can't say I watched Finnish junior and pro hockey in the early 90s, but it sure wouldn't be a surprise.

I like him a ton and would call Brännström good right now defensively, and I project him as being good. Not sure what's wrong with that. It's awfully hard to be good on the back end in your own end, let alone at 5'9"-ish. But he does a heck of a job, and at worst it shouldn't be a detriment to his top flight offensive skills, and at best could even be a plus going forward. Considering his immense offensive talent and size, the assessment should be whether he is good enough defensively to be a good well rounded NHL player......I think he certainly has that potential. Build from there. He's got the intellect and the compete, but if the expectation being set is elite type defensive play......well, ****. There's not many prospects I throw that label around with.

I simply said I don't see the Timonen comparison in his play style, even offensively. Don't know what the issue is or what more I can say.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe he just reminds him of Timonen and is not suggesting he will be as good in every aspect of his game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad