D David Reinbacher - EHC Kloten, NL (2023, 5th, MTL)

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He's probably not finishing the numerous chances his 2.1 gpg team is gifting him. The rest of the defense does have 4 total goals combined in these 38 games, so we know its a team fully utilizing the D as scoring threats.
He's a top-5 pick, he has to have some ability to get things done himself

This is a league where Daniel Carr is the leading scorer

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

You know Daniel Carr has dominated the AHL at over a 100 point pace ? That last sentence isn't indicative of you think it is. He needs to work on his goal scoring. McDonagh had to for years as well. He's mostly a passer, in a league where the defense doesn't score much, on a team where the defense as a whole struggles to score. These arent optimal conditions, the opposite really, with an imperfect young defenseman playing in it. I don't think the size, the smarts or the work ethic is gone or has regressed, it would be surprising, but its hard to know until he's put in a better environment. We'll have a better appreciation of what he is when he is.

Last edited:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You know Daniel Carr has dominated the AHL at over a 100 point pace ? That last sentence isn't indicative of you think it is. He needs to work on his goal scoring. McDonagh had to for years as well. He's mostly a passer, in a league where the defense doesn't score much, on a team where the defense as a whole struggles to score. These arent optimal conditions, the opposite really, with an imperfect young defenseman playing in it. I don't think the size, the smarts or the work ethic is gone or has regressed, it would be surprising, but its hard to know until he's put in a better environment. We'll have a better appreciation of what he is.
I think it is actually the injury that has had a bigger impact on his game rather than the team being bad, his play struggled for a while after coming back and he had his minutes cut significantly. He had a great game recently though where he led the team in ice time so let's just hope he is getting back into top shape

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

You mean AHL MVP Daniel Carr? Or which one?
You can't do things yourself as a defenseman in a good pro league. On the PP maybe but not at even strength. Hockey is a team sport.

Last edited:

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016

Your understanding of prospects and how to project them is massively skewed if you genuinely believe that every top-5 pick needs to be a play-driver regardless of position in a men's league at age 19.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't say a bit disappointing as it's been pretty f***ing terrible but shit happens, development is often a long process that takes several years so we'll see whap happens.
I wanted to see him in the AHL. At this point I can't remember if he was ineligible but if he could play in the AHL, our "unquestionable" brain is not as bright as many want to claim.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I wouldn't say a bit disappointing as it's been pretty f***ing terrible but shit happens, development is often a long process that takes several years so we'll see whap happens.

Not really, he’s now stringing together points as the team is winning and playing top minutes.

The team adjusted to a coaching change. I’m not as mercurial as some on the basis of 10-20 game tranches.

Reactions: viceroy

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wanted to see him in the AHL. At this point I can't remember if he was ineligible but if he could play in the AHL, our "unquestionable" brain is not as bright as many want to claim.

he can join Laval whenever since he's on loan in the NL, they don't have many games left, I think 9 so they could bring him to Laval to end the year if they wanted to.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dude the NL is a top 3 or 4 league in the world the last couple of seasons. It's not an easy league to score in.
Exactly. The league is much better now than it was in 08/09. Back then, Roman Josi scored 24 points in 42 games in his D+1 season but he did so on a completely overpowered SC Bern team that finished regular season in 1st place. Reinbacher isn't too far behind that pace despite playing on a very poor team (compared to their competition) and in a much stronger NL than it was back in the day.

I totally agree that his season has been disappointing overall because his play didn't really improve compared to last season but he's still playing very well. Development is never linear. Also, he's holding down a 50% job, is doing classes and preparing for exams as well. His focus isn't on hockey. Taking all of this into account it would be dumb to panic based on one disappointing/underwhelming season....which is only really underwhelming because of expectations he raised in his draft season, because his draft season was so good. He's still a top prospect and he's gonna bounce back over the next two seasons. From this summer on, his focus will be on hockey...which is definitely gonna help.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Exactly. The league is much better now than it was in 08/09. Back then, Roman Josi scored 24 points in 42 games in his D+1 season but he did so on a completely overpowered SC Bern team that finished regular season in 1st place. Reinbacher isn't too far behind that pace despite playing on a very poor team (compared to their competition) and in a much stronger NL than it was back in the day.

I totally agree that his season has been disappointing overall because his play didn't really improve compared to last season but he's still playing very well. Development is never linear. Also, he's holding down a 50% job, is doing classes and preparing for exams as well. His focus isn't on hockey. Taking all of this into account it would be dumb to panic based on one disappointing/underwhelming season....which is only really underwhelming because of expectations he raised in his draft season, because his draft season was so good. He's still a top prospect and he's gonna bounce back over the next two seasons. From this summer on, his focus will be on hockey...which is definitely gonna help.
Never understood why he would continue with the professional formation when drafted fifth overall. An office formation is not that great of a backup plan anyways. If he gets hurt like three years after graduation his certificate will basically be worthless on the job market without any actual experience outside the formation.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
what do you think of his play this season? Do you watch many of his games?

No I don’t beyond highlights for individual games. He doesn’t seem to be suffering.

I do trust that his use by coaches is a good indicator of success, perhaps I’m wrong.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
A bit of a disappointing post draft season for this player.
If I didn't see how well he performed at camp this season, I'd say more than a bit disappointing. Still disappointing, no doubt. But that performance at camp (where IMO he made the Habs if just based on play) keeps my hopes high and my doubts lower.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad