D Cale Makar - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2017, 4th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
My point was, how did Brooks Bandits found this awesome talent and signed him, saw his potential
where as no other team saw it, kinda like same situation with Alex DeBrincat and the Erie Otters,
Erie Otters scout was the only scout who came to see Alex to Forest Lake (USHS),
he even came once more, then in the summer he got signed by Otters, rest was history.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
My point was, how did Brooks Bandits found this awesome talent and signed him, saw his potential
where as no other team saw it, kinda like same situation with Alex DeBrincat and the Erie Otters,
Erie Otters scout was the only scout who came to see Alex to Forest Lake (USHS),
he even came once more, then in the summer he got signed by Otters, rest was history.

He was selected in the WHL's bantam draft. so, he was not an unknown. He decided he wanted to go the U.S. college route, therefore the AJHL was where he had to play to maintain his college eligibility.

Reactions: lawrence

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
None of the teams were interested enough to sign him as free agent,or draft him, why?

Well, I already listed the most common reason a top prospect doesn’t get drafted to these leagues. Do we have any actual reports to suggest that he wanted to play in these leagues and no one wanted him?

MaMiNe

Mar 17, 2018
Does any of this even matter now? Fact is many teams and scouts rated him to go very high in the draft and he was taken 4th overall. What does it matter what anyone thought of him before that? Not even worth arguing about.

Reactions: Jarey Curry

MaMiNe

Mar 17, 2018
One huge example of a team who is not worrying about the expansion draft is the Nashville Predators. They are set to bring Tolvanen over when his season is finished in the KHL. They are much deeper than the Avalanche and would definitely want to protect Eli in the ED. If they can have him play this year than why not Colorado? I guess only big difference is Colorado needs help to get into the playoffs and Nashville is wanting help for a deep cup run. Who knows though as a number of teams have snuck in to a playoff spot and made deep runs before and if Varlamov can get hot magic could happen. They have high end talent and solid young players.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
One huge example of a team who is not worrying about the expansion draft is the Nashville Predators. They are set to bring Tolvanen over when his season is finished in the KHL. They are much deeper than the Avalanche and would definitely want to protect Eli in the ED. If they can have him play this year than why not Colorado? I guess only big difference is Colorado needs help to get into the playoffs and Nashville is wanting help for a deep cup run. Who knows though as a number of teams have snuck in to a playoff spot and made deep runs before and if Varlamov can get hot magic could happen. They have high end talent and solid young players.

I suppose it depends on how many games he gets in for. If he plays more than 10 his ELC doesn't slide and he loses a year. Probably worth it for the Preds to go for it though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Apologies for the late reply, but this is incorrect.

The Avs could sign him including this 2017-18 season and Makar would still be expansion draft exempt so long as he didn’t hit the 10 game NHL threshold in 2017-18. His ELC would slide for 2017-18 and slide years don’t count towards the professional year threshold in the expansion draft rules.
He's a 1998 born player, he can't sign an ELC and have it slide. One NHL game burns an ELC year.

Makar was drafted in the 8th round by Medicine Hat. Keep in mind he was a late bloomer and much smaller in size when he was drafted. These later round picks aren't guaranteed to make the WHL club and burn their college eligibility by even playing in one exhibition game so it's pretty tough to know if you are making the team without doing that. So Brooks "found" him because his cousin played on the team and the rest is history.

Reactions: MaMiNe and VikingAv

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's a 1998 born player, he can't sign an ELC and have it slide. One NHL game burns an ELC year.

Makar was drafted in the 8th round by Medicine Hat. Keep in mind he was a late bloomer and much smaller in size when he was drafted. These later round picks aren't guaranteed to make the WHL club and burn their college eligibility by even playing in one exhibition game so it's pretty tough to know if you are making the team without doing that. So Brooks "found" him because his cousin played on the team and the rest is history.
Yeah, he's in the same boat as McAvoy last year. Seems strange how the NHL draft is built around the September 16th cut off, but the NHL contract terms are dictated by the January 1st to December 31st time period.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Ah yeah, didn’t check if he was a late birthday. Thought he was younger.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah, he's in the same boat as McAvoy last year. Seems strange how the NHL draft is built around the September 16th cut off, but the NHL contract terms are dictated by the January 1st to December 31st time period.
It has to do with a player being 18 by the start of training camp.

MaMiNe

Mar 17, 2018
It looks like Makar is thinking about whether to join the Avalanche at the beginning of next season. According to a report in the Province newspaper Sakic spoke to Cale and his dad and it will be up to Cale to decide what he wants to do, but Joe Sakic feels he will be ready.

MaMiNe

Mar 17, 2018
Come on Cale! Sign with the Avalanche already!! If you read these boards I think you would be crazy to play another year in NCAA when Sakic himself believes you are ready to turn pro. You are definitely not going to stay all 4 years in college so why not leave now? Hockey Canada thought you were ready and I think you are ready and you should get an invite to the Worlds I hope. You will be able to improve the most by playing against the best and with the best. You also have over 6 months to get ready for next season. Plenty of time to work on anything you feel you need improving.

IMO you could be the second coming of Paul Coffey and I can't wait for your debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad