D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Given that was one of only a handful of Clarke games this season, and dOughty's comments indicated this has been going on all season, I can't imagine it was at Brandt, and was definitely at Fiala and PLD at the very least

Cool. It seemed like Clarke and Byfield were certainly engaged last night. Fiala's -4 stands out (yes, yes, plus/minus is a shitty stat, but Fiala earned that dash four last night with how he played IMO... that was some lazy assed stuff).

Hope Clarke continues to develop, it's fun to see players with that sort of offensive flair breaking in.

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Given the Kings are still ahead of the Devils despite a historically bad slide, it's not aging any worse than your original assertion that "Clarke is just a bad skater who only racks up points in junior or low level leagues."

Pretty ballsy to have such a bad take bookmarked for a failed flex though, I'm impressed. Almost as cocky as Clarke!

The Kings are just ahead of the Devils in the standings, while the Devils have been plagued by major injuries throughout the year and are playing in a much tougher division. On current form, however, the Devils are likely to finish ahead of the Kings.

As for Clarke, my statement is still correct, he gets the points in the AHL, but he won't do it in the NHL.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice and KapG

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The Kings are just ahead of the Devils in the standings, while the Devils have been plagued by major injuries throughout the year and are playing in a much tougher division. On current form, however, the Devils are likely to finish ahead of the Kings.

As for Clarke, my statement is still correct, he gets the points in the AHL, but he won't do it in the NHL.

Buddy you've waited half a year for the chance to say you might almost end up half-right if things keep trending exactly how they have for a month and with several conditional statements

I can appreciate the double down bravado though

The Clarke takes are already starting to age like the Byfield ones

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Doughty was a great player, but he (and Kopitar in a more quiet-way) have ruined the Kings attempt to rebuild.

What they have to show for it is a team that has lost in the first round and finished third in their division two years in a row. At one point they had by far the best prospect pool in the NHL. And they look like they won't do any better this year than the last two.

That Clarke's thread is still open and he only has 14 NHL games (none over 18:02 in a game) is a sign of the problem, not Doughty puffing out his chest that players have to play harder or whatever.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
1706214203644.gif

Reactions: bert

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA

Whether or not LA turns it around, or the Devils end up ahead of us, I don't really care. You can come back here to gloat if the latter ends up being the case.

But trying to project Brandt Clarke's NHL career, 14 games in, is pretty laughable, and tells me a lot about you.

If you had actually been watching him play lately, I guarantee you, you wouldn't be saying this with your chest out.

I won't come back to tell you "I told you so" if LA turns it around this year, but, I will definitely be back to dunk on your foolish Clarke prediction

Reactions: tiggles and bert

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Whether or not LA turns it around, or the Devils end up ahead of us, I don't really care. You can come back here to gloat if the latter ends up being the case.

But trying to project Brandt Clarke's NHL career, 14 games in, is pretty laughable, and tells me a lot about you.

If you had actually been watching him play lately, I guarantee you, you wouldn't be saying this with your chest out.

I won't come back to tell you "I told you so" if LA turns it around this year, but, I will definitely be back to dunk on your foolish Clarke prediction
Well dude, he's 21 years old and there's nothing to suggest he's going to be a world-beater. So my point still stands that the amount of points he produced in the junior league and AHL he will never be able to translate to the NHL.

There are countless highly drafted players generated by these lame canadian junior leagues who produce points in the lower leagues but their play doesn't translate to the NHL. If you had any understanding of hockey, you would be aware that there is something missing from the game of these players.

That's why Clarke fell to 8th in the draft when one of those stupid teams pulled the trigger, the same thing happened to Wright year later.

• Haha
Reactions: bert and Patty Ice

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
There are countless highly drafted players generated by these lame canadian junior leagues who produce points in the lower leagues but their play doesn't translate to the NHL. If you had any understanding of hockey, you would be aware that there is something missing from the game of these players.

There are countless highly drafted players generated by "lame" Russian junior, or American, or European who produce points in lower leagues that doesn't translate to the NHL.

The same can be said about any sport. Though hockey players are generally drafted at a younger age making it harder to predict.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

My God this is an absolutely trash take. Aside from your excuses for New Jersey that division is not good.

Clarke's talent and offensive skillset/instincts are undeniable if you understand the sport on the most basic level.

I have no dog in this fight but this evaluation not only outed you as a homer but also no ability to evaluate hockey in general. Bad combo.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I can't wait to see how a 21 year old offensive defenceman with 15 NHL games and 0 goals suddenly becomes a world beater in the near future.
Hahaha unreal doubling down! 21 years old and only 15 games. My God this is one for the ages. Oh he's Clearly done developing. Just another brutal take. Love this stuff.

Well dude, he's 21 years old and there's nothing to suggest he's going to be a world-beater. So my point still stands that the amount of points he produced in the junior league and AHL he will never be able to translate to the NHL.

That's why Clarke fell to 8th in the draft when one of those stupid teams pulled the trigger, the same thing happened to Wright year later.
'Fell to 8th' hahahaha

Reactions: Random Comment

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
There are countless highly drafted players generated by "lame" Russian junior, or American, or European who produce points in lower leagues that doesn't translate to the NHL.
Well dude, the Europeans who get drafted in the top 10 rarely play in junior leagues in the year they are drafted.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Healthy scratch twice in a row. He must be too good for the NHL.
He's getting rotated in and out with Spence, as well as the Kings threading the needle with the cap, they don't want Clarke to hit his bonuses as they're up against it. This has already been confirmed.

In other words, just another example of you opening your mouth while not actually knowing what you're talking about.

Also, It should also be clarified, there seems to be a miscommunication here. No where at any point did I say Clarke is going to be a world beater, or a guaranteed star.

I just find it laughable that you're so confidently projecting him as surefire dud, 14 games in.

Because we all know how that normally works out right? HFboards posters have such great track records :laugh:. Last we saw it was with Byfield.

edit: spelling

Last edited:

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
He's getting rotated in and out with Spence, as well as the Kings threading the needle with the cap, they don't want Clarke to hit his bonuses as they're up against it. This has already been confirmed.

In other words, just another example of you opening your mouth while not actually knowing what you're talking about.

Also, It should also be clarified, there seems to be a miscommunication here. No where at any point did I say Clarke is going to be a world beater, or a guaranteed star.

I just find it laughable that you're so confidently projecting him as surefire dud, 14 games in.

Because we all know how that normally works out right? HFboards posters have such great track records :laugh:. Last we saw it was with Byfield.

edit: spelling
Well troll. Can you explain in which category Clarke is going to reach the bonus level?

-10 goals
-25 assists
-40 points
-Top four in Time on Ice among Defensemen (in total and/or per game) on team (minimum 42 games)
-Top three in +/- among defensemen on team (minimum 42 games)
-0.49 points per game (minimum 42 games)
-Top two among defensemen on team in blocked shocks
-End-of Season All Rookie Team
-All Star Selection
-All Star MVP

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Well dude, the Europeans who get drafted in the top 10 rarely play in junior leagues in the year they are drafted.

Well then, lets look at Clarkes draft year...the first European player taken was Simon Edvinsson, taken 2 spots ahead of Clarke, from...Vasta Frolunda...Swedish JUNIOR league, has 11 total NHL games under his belt, 3 points, and 22 points in 36 games in the A this year (Clarke has 32 in 30)
Next Euro taken was William Eklund, taken one spot ahead of Clarke, from Djurgardens in the Swedish JUNIOR league, and is a winger, who usually make the NHL before defencemen do.

Reactions: bert

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Well then, lets look at Clarkes draft year...the first European player taken was Simon Edvinsson, taken 2 spots ahead of Clarke, from...Vasta Frolunda...Swedish JUNIOR league, has 11 total NHL games under his belt, 3 points, and 22 points in 36 games in the A this year (Clarke has 32 in 30)
Next Euro taken was William Eklund, taken one spot ahead of Clarke, from Djurgardens in the Swedish JUNIOR league, and is a winger, who usually make the NHL before defencemen do.
You folks on that strange far away continent really love alternate reality.

Edvinsson - Simon Edvinsson at eliteprospects.com

A.png

Played 10 games in the Swedish men's league and 14 games in the Swedish second tier men's league + playoff.

Eklund - William Eklund at eliteprospects.com

B.png

He played the whole season in the Swedish men's league.

Reactions: Kalv

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
LA Kings need to make a philosophy change.

How do you keep letting players like Matt Roy, Vladislav Gavrikov, and to a lesser extent Mikey Anderson, eating 20+ minutes per game?

While we’re at it, why wasn’t Doughty traded when they started their rebuild?

Clarke should be the focal point of their defense. That there isn’t room for him and they are healthy scratching him when they don’t exactly have a stacked blueline already is the problem. Coach and GM are the ones to look at. How is this their philosophy of what produces a winner?

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I am not an LA fan and don't watch many of their games but it annoys me when teams don't put players in a position to succeed. The potential is there for Clarke to be a special player, but it's hard to do that given the treatment he's receiving.

That said, LA is fighting for a playoff spot and Clarke is new to the team so everyone must feel that they're better off playing the veterans who understand the team's system. I mean, part of me loved it when I heard Clarke tried the Michigan but part of me was wondering what the heck was he doing behind the net in the first place?

Reactions: tny760

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
I am not an LA fan and don't watch many of their games but it annoys me when teams don't put players in a position to succeed. The potential is there for Clarke to be a special player, but it's hard to do that given the treatment he's receiving.

That said, LA is fighting for a playoff spot and Clarke is new to the team so everyone must feel that they're better off playing the veterans who understand the team's system. I mean, part of me loved it when I heard Clarke tried the Michigan but part of me was wondering what the heck was he doing behind the net in the first place?
that's todd for ya

at least he occasionally rotates them in and out but he's keen to just running the groups that have reps together

same shit with kaliyev right now, playing with low-skill grinders then summarily kicked off PP2 then scratched. he has some obsession with square-pegging everything he sees

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
LA Kings need to make a philosophy change.

How do you keep letting players like Matt Roy, Vladislav Gavrikov, and to a lesser extent Mikey Anderson, eating 20+ minutes per game?
LA is slumping badly lately but let’s not suddenly pretend that Gavrikov, Roy and Mikey Anderson cant play 20 minutes a night.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
LA is slumping badly lately but let’s not suddenly pretend that Gavrikov, Roy and Mikey Anderson cant play 20 minutes a night.
Didn't say they can't. They aren't difference makers. Clarke is an obvious difference maker.

You seem content with mediocrity. How have you not watched your team two years in a row eliminated in the same round by the same team with no guarantee to even make the playoffs this year and not say something needs to change? Your team is now up against the cap and no longer has a good prospect pool.

Maybe start doing something different and give a player that can change the fortunes a bigger role, and kick some of the mediocrity to the curb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad