D Brandt Clarke - Ontario Reign, AHL (2021, 8th, LAK)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Schultz was 22, Clarke is 20

not a huge difference but noteworthy at those ages
Yeah what Clarke is doing is impressive regardless, just highlighting another great campaign from a "young" defenseman.

Among 20 year olds, ironically fellow King Jordan Spence is probably worth a callout:
46gp 4g 38a 42p

John Carlson had a pretty strong 19 year old season, during what I assume was a lower scoring era (at least in the NHL):
48gp 4g 35a 39p

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah what Clarke is doing is impressive regardless, just highlighting another great campaign from a "young" defenseman.

Among 20 year olds, ironically fellow King Jordan Spence is probably worth a callout:
46gp 4g 38a 42p

John Carlson had a pretty strong 19 year old season, during what I assume was a lower scoring era (at least in the NHL):
48gp 4g 35a 39p
Zellweger not too far behind, and I think 7months younger.

214070D5-4573-4527-9E67-93257DFE9DE1.png

While on a significantly worse team, should be a lot of defensive fire power in socal the next year or 2

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
17g and 62 pts pace is is not far behind 19g and 88pts

It is a 40% difference lol

That said Mintyukov, Zellweger, and Drysdale will be lethal in the future

Last edited:

irishsetter13

Jan 24, 2016

Compared to everyone being referenced Zellweger is a relatively close current reference point.

Not saying Zellweger is better though, just saying hes a decent comparable. Both are/were clearly the best players on their respective teams as 20 year olds. Both have similar shooting percentage, usage, and roles on their teams. The Reign are also a lot better team than the Gulls as evidenced in the standings. Zellweger also had a 5 game pointless streak at the beginning of the season which doesnt help his numbers yet. Since those games, he has been just below Clarke in terms of production.

I would argue that Brandt Clarke is more of a liability on the defensive end than Zellweger. Clarke has double the penalty minutes of Zellweger while having almost the same +/-. Guaranteed +/- is a flawed stat, but the Reign are +10 in Goal Differential while the Gulls are -11. Having Clarke only with +4 and Zellweger having a +2 tends to indicate that Clarke may be lacking on the defensive side of the game.

But seriously, not trying to pick fights. What Clarke has done in the AHL this season has been special and essentially unheard of. It will remain to be seen if he can translate it to the NHL and if he can end up improving his defensive game at the same time.

Reactions: Kalv

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
So how's he been in the last couple of games? Looking at the box scores, his ice time has increased and last game he had 5 shots on goal.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

That said Mintyukov, Zellweger, and Drysdale will be lethal in the future

Depends how you analyze the numbers. Both Zellweger and Clarke are second in team scoring, but the Gulls have less offensive firepower than the Reign.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
is he getting PP time at all? over Spence? its not like hes setting the world on fire with the man advantage.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think the point is that Spence didn't earned PP time. If he had earned it, he would have been a better option than Durzi.

I'm sorry, but you must come from another dimension where Sean Durzi is stll an LA King. Please don't waste my time with nonsense.

Spence has earned his stripes this year and he's been around the club for years already. This is how it works on teams. You get rewarded for working toward your goal and building trust.

This doesn't mean he's better than Clarke or anything like that. Clarke's time wll come.

Reactions: Lt Dan

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I'm sorry, but you must come from another dimension where Sean Durzi is stll an LA King. Please don't waste my time with nonsense.

Spence has earned his stripes this year and he's been around the club for years already. This is how it works on teams. You get rewarded for working toward your goal and building trust.

This doesn't mean he's better than Clarke or anything like that. Clarke's time wll come.
I don't have an opinion on Spence or Durzi. I was merely pointing out what the poster meant. You're initial response seems to miss the point.

The poster said Spence has not earned PP time based on his on ice performance and that even Durzi performed better in that role for the team.

For some reason you replied mentioning Durzi's age.

It's clear now that you feel Spence has earned a shot based on tenure with the club. Whether or not that matters more than on-ice performance is not a topic I'm looking to discuss.

But, speaking of nonsense, in typical hf form you chose to insult me instead of simply clarifying your ambiguous initial response.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't have an opinion on Spence or Durzi. I was merely pointing out what the poster meant. You're initial response seems to miss the point.

The poster said Spence has not earned PP time based on his on ice performance and that even Durzi performed better in that role for the team.

For some reason you replied mentioning Durzi's age.

I missed the point because the poster's idea of "earn it" means playing like a seasoned veteran in his mid-20s?

Spence is on PP2, not PP1. Look around, there are worse guys out there distributing pucks on PP2. Above all things, he's young and has upside. You don't just cut the guy off as he develops. You let him cook.

Methinks both of you guys missed the point. I tend to get heated when I see nonsense and I have to say it like it is. Maybe you have Clarke on your fantasy team or something, but no one in the Kings locker room cares about that.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
I missed the point because the poster's idea of "earn it" means playing like a seasoned veteran in his mid-20s?

Spence is on PP2, not PP1. Look around, there are worse guys out there distributing pucks on PP2. Above all things, he's young and has upside. You don't just cut the guy off as he develops. You let him cook.

Methinks both of you guys missed the point. I tend to get heated when I see nonsense and I have to say it like it is. Maybe you have Clarke on your fantasy team or something, but no one in the Kings locker room cares about that.
Do you typically ignore parts of a comment that don't fit with your mood and the narrative you are trying to develop?

Perhaps connect the dots better when making a comment if you want your point understood. Mentioning Durzi's age without context was confusing. Or not. Continue to be vague and argumentative when someone doesn't understand your ambiguous comments if that gets your rocks off.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Clarke has looked better with each game. He has offensive creativity that we have not seen from a dman in L.A in years, if ever. Byfield and Clarke took over the game last night against Buffalo but unfortunately couldn't get one by Levi. At one point Clarke even tried a Michigan in a crowd of people. Yes it did not work, but even to have the balls to try was impressive.

Clarke managed a PP assist last night and drove offense a lot of the night. For once it doesn't look like the kids are the problem in L.A.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He just might be the cockiest player I've ever seen

Thank goodness it looks like his play will back it up to an extent but he's gonna get punched in the face a LOT

But I also like that he doesn't really shy from it, one of the only Kings protecting the goalie and pushing people around in scrums.

Clarke has looked better with each game. He has offensive creativity that we have not seen from a dman in L.A in years, if ever. Byfield and Clarke took over the game last night against Buffalo but unfortunately couldn't get one by Levi. At one point Clarke even tried a Michigan in a crowd of people. Yes it did not work, but even to have the balls to try was impressive.

Clarke managed a PP assist last night and drove offense a lot of the night. For once it doesn't look like the kids are the problem in L.A.

Every time he has the puck is potential for something breathtaking

I dropped the remote when he tried that michigan with checkers draped all over him

Reactions: funky and howlman

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
He just might be the cockiest player I've ever seen

Thank goodness it looks like his play will back it up to an extent but he's gonna get punched in the face a LOT

But I also like that he doesn't really shy from it, one of the only Kings protecting the goalie and pushing people around in scrums.

Every time he has the puck is potential for something breathtaking

I dropped the remote when he tried that michigan with checkers draped all over him
Yes......I have seen numerous Michigan attempts and goals, just have never seen on in traffic like that. The kid has a massive set of grapefruits to even think about trying that. Drew would have just skated it back out to the point. This kid could drive a powerplay for years.

Reactions: tny760

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Oh boy could this have aged any worse?

Given the Kings are still ahead of the Devils despite a historically bad slide, it's not aging any worse than your original assertion that "Clarke is just a bad skater who only racks up points in junior or low level leagues."

Pretty ballsy to have such a bad take bookmarked for a failed flex though, I'm impressed. Almost as cocky as Clarke!

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Was coming to post this - he was confident enough to pinch and then try that play cutting back to the front of the net from Levi's left. Now, was Doughty's post-game commentary about teammates directed at Clarke's attempt or Fiala alone or what is where I'm left wondering.

Reactions: funky

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Was coming to post this - he was confident enough to pinch and then try that play cutting back to the front of the net from Levi's left. Now, was Doughty's post-game commentary about teammates directed at Clarke's attempt or Fiala alone or what is where I'm left wondering.

Given that was one of only a handful of Clarke games this season, and dOughty's comments indicated this has been going on all season, I can't imagine it was at Brandt, and was definitely at Fiala and PLD at the very least

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad