PGT: Czech Republic vs. Canada - Canada 6 Czech Republic 0 F

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
You are absolutely right! This total mismatch between Canada and the Czechs is sufficient proof that this tournament is a complete joke that has no basis to exist. Of course Canada is going to cruise to an easy victory in the "World Cup,"followed by the obligatory national celebration, parades, riots, and all kinds of other staged exhibitions of self-worship. Canada has a better team than anyone else to begin with, but then when you add the frenzied home crowds, the homeboys in striped shirts and all of the other built-in/fixed advantages, it is really a farce beyond all reason. Go ahead and hold the parade now and get it over with. Make this nonsense end!

Just wondering what the examples of ALL these other built in/fixed advantages Canada has include?

You clearly have many examples. I'm genuinely curious what they are precisely?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Just wondering what the examples of ALL these other built in/fixed advantages Canada has include?

You have the raucous home crowds that influence/intimidate the referees. Then you have patriotic Canadian citizens refereeing and serving as linesmen for all of the games involving Canada, and you want still MORE advantages to guarantee a win?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the refs, I mean sure in the Olympics Canada barely had any power plays and this first game the opposing team had double the amount but it's all part of the conspiracy man. They constantly put them on the PK so they get to rest an extra player.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010
You have the raucous home crowds that influence/intimidate the referees. Then you have patriotic Canadian citizens refereeing and serving as linesmen for all of the games involving Canada, and you want still MORE advantages to guarantee a win?

Your very own post mentioned the crowd, the referees, and said as well as All THE OTHER built in/fixed advantages. I'm simply asking what your examples of ALL these other advantages are. Pretty simple.

And yes, I would like more advantages. Clearly the team that has Claude Giroux as a healthy scratch simply can't compete with a team that has Orlov, Markov, Emelin manning the defence. How could poor little Canada compete with such a solid intimidating opposition?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You are absolutely right! This total mismatch between Canada and the Czechs is sufficient proof that this tournament is a complete joke that has no basis to exist. Of course Canada is going to cruise to an easy victory in the "World Cup,"followed by the obligatory national celebration, parades, riots, and all kinds of other staged exhibitions of self-worship. Canada has a better team than anyone else to begin with, but then when you add the frenzied home crowds, the homeboys in striped shirts and all of the other built-in/fixed advantages, it is really a farce beyond all reason. Go ahead and hold the parade now and get it over with. Make this nonsense end!

So how do you explain Canada cruising to victory in Russia at the Olympics two years ago?

I guess that tournament had no basis to exist either.

Those frenzied home crowds really gave the Russian team a powerful advantage in Sochi.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Russian fans, Russian ice.

Same result.

Then you had European fans, Czech ice, IIHF refs at the 2015 World Championships last year.

Same result. 6-1 final against the Russians, outshooting them 37-12.

Not to mention, they went 10-0-0, winning every game in regulation.

2016 World Championships? Hosted in Russia? Canada wins.

Guess we should toss the WCs out on the rubbish heap as well.

You won't have too many Canadians missing it.

(I would be one of them though, having grown up in Europe).

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Your very own post mentioned the crowd, the referees, and said as well as All THE OTHER built in/fixed advantages. I'm simply asking what your examples of ALL these other advantages are. Pretty simple.
He might have only one example from 30 years ago. He just spews nonsense as a reason why Russia never wins anything anymore.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Must be discouraging for opposing teams to face Canada's stacked lineup at forward and D, only to get through and have to face Price.

What's scarier than the stacked lineup is the fact that all the players have accepted their role with no ego and are going balls out on every shift. You add that sort of commitment and desire to the ridiculous talent level, they are going to look as dominate as they did last night.

They need to be more disciplined though, they are spending way too much time in the penalty box and that could shoot them in the foot. If they play their game and don't sabotage themselves by all the penalties, they definitely look like the heavy favorites that they were expected to be before the tourney.

As an Isles fan, it's fun to watch Tavares play the way he's playing. There are some Isles fans who criticize him for being a primadonna who takes long shifts and floats defensively, they had doubts he could fit into a team structure and not 'be the man'. Ha, seems like that's a load of bullhockey because I haven't seen any of that in either the Olympics and in the WCoH. It's great to watch his game amplified in short shifts where you can see the noticeable improvement in his skating and all around game.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Loving your tears since 72.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
shoulda mixed the Czechs with team Europe cuz there's no point, all due respect

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
With no player actually in the 23NA roster

Team Canada Projected Lineup, TEAM A

Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby - Patrice Bergeron
Logan Couture - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Wayne Simmonds - Ryan Johansen - Jeff Carter
Mark Stone - Claude Giroux - Mike Hoffman

Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty
Alex Pietrangelo - P.K Subban
Jake Muzzin - Tyson Barrie

Carey Price
Brian Elliot
Martin Jones

Team Canada Projected Lineup, TEAM B

Tyler Seguin - Jamie Benn - Taylor Hall
John Tavares - Ryan Getzlaf - Steven Stamkos
Joe Thornton - Ryan O'Reilly - Matt Duchene
Jonathan Huberdeau - Tyler Toffoli - Brayden Schenn

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Jay Bouwmeester - Brent Burns
Mark Giordano - Kristopher Letang

Braden Holtby
Corey Crawford
Steve Mason

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I honestly hope the next game is closer. It's rare I lose interest in a team Canada game but I skipped most of last nights 3rd period.

This. I actually turns it off after the second goal. Watched the Leafs/Habs then Oilers/Flames rookie games.

The reason I don't watch the NBA is because the Final is basically a foregone conclusion every year so why invest? This is the same thing. Sure their will be some good games thrown in there between teams not named Canada, but this tournament outcome is already decided.

FYI I love everything about Canada and the way they play, it just makes for a boring game if your are a neutral fan.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Still lots of hockey left.

It's one game.

You're right, it is one game, but does anyone, including our Czech brethren, honestly believe they have a chance to win this tournament, particularly after an ass whoopin like they just received. Sure they could win a game but it's all for naught unless they catch Hasek in a bottle. Not in the same stratosphere anymore even though they may still produce great individual players.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You're right, it is one game, but does anyone, including our Czech brethren, honestly believe they have a chance to win this tournament, particularly after an ass whoopin like they just received. Sure they could win a game but it's all for naught unless they catch Hasek in a bottle.

Sometimes an ass whooping is just what the doctor ordered.

Canada got their ***** whooped in the round robin in 2002 (vs. the Swedes) and in 2010 (vs. the US).

They won both tournaments.

I get that they aren't favorites, but the Czechs are usually a disciplined and tricky team that keeps games close.

I'm curious to see how they do against the US and Team Europe.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
You're right, it is one game, but does anyone, including our Czech brethren, honestly believe they have a chance to win this tournament, particularly after an ass whoopin like they just received. Sure they could win a game but it's all for naught unless they catch Hasek in a bottle. Not in the same stratosphere anymore even though they may still produce great individual players.

None of us came here thinking we were going to win the tournament. We know what we've got and I expected us to have our ***** kicked (as bad as that sounds).

In all honesty though, I think we have a shot at the semi-final. If Team Europe beat USA, we could too. We're not that much worse than Europe either, so there's a chance. Is it likely? Probably not. Possible? Yeah I think so.

As for not being in the same stratosphere, that's true at the moment. But we're hoping that our '98 D and 96,97 and 99 forwards can bring us close enough. So maybe in 4 years or so? :)

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
None of us came here thinking we were going to win the tournament. We know what we've got and I expected us to have our ***** kicked (as bad as that sounds).

In all honesty though, I think we have a shot at the semi-final. If Team Europe beat USA, we could too. We're not that much worse than Europe either, so there's a chance. Is it likely? Probably not. Possible? Yeah I think so.

As for not being in the same stratosphere, that's true at the moment. But we're hoping that our '98 D and 96,97 and 99 forwards can bring us close enough. So maybe in 4 years or so? :)

I always love the Czech Republic. I really want to see them back at the top. Hopefully you're right about the next generation. Cheers.

Yup, it was so obvious Golden State was going to easily win.
Wait a minute... that didn't work out so well now did it?

lol. People have no idea.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
shoulda mixed the Czechs with team Europe cuz there's no point, all due respect

:laugh:

This game just confirms how dumb the structure of this tournament is.

Latvia holds the best Team Canada in decades to a 2-1 scoreline and get's shoved into a made-up team Europe. Czech Republic doesn't do jack for a decade but get's their own team? Because they're 'good on paper'. How'd that work out for them.

It's like HFBoards organized this tournament.

This is the fundamental problem with international tournaments that make up teams and hand spots to those who 'should get one' (for no other reason than because it's what low knowledge hockey fans expect).

Teams should have to earn their spot in any international tournament. There should be qualification rounds and promotion/relegation with lower level tournaments. This is how every FIFA tournament does it, this is how the IIHF WHC and WJHC does it, this is how the Olympics does it. It makes it so that every team is there because they actually earned it.

People are too focused on the USA-Canada, Russia-Canada games. So one-dimensional. It's essentially the same thing every time.

Frankly I love the relegation battles in the WHC every year. Who stays up? Who drops down? Hungary's run this past year was phenomenally interesting.

Are the big games important? Hell yes, it's wicked cool seeing Canada-USA, but you're ignoring a huge part of the interest of an international tournament if those are the only actual stakes and the rest is just chaff (which is what this World Cup is turning out to be). Imagine a EURO 2016 without Iceland (because what TV exec would dare put them on the list if they didn't have the option of earning their way into it) - it would just be England, Germany, France, Spain again and again and again and again.

Who cares if the Czechs lose every game. There are no consequences. They'll be back next time because 'they're supposed to be'. Stupid.

Here's what I would do: hold a series of qualification games involving all hockey nations who submit a team in September as we are now (all over the world). Then you take the top 4 or 6 and play a 2 week 'World Cup Finals' in January or February. No made up teams, actual qualification. Maybe the Czechs wouldn't have made it and we'd see more competitive games.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I don't think the refs were purposely calling the games to Canada's favour, but why allow any doubt by having every single linesmen and refs Canadian? Put yourself in the position of the Europeans, you'd complain too. Any serious tournaments would have neutral refs instead. Only in hockey that I know of have this type of nonsense.

Juppy61

May 14, 2013
Canada

Yakushev, Yakushev, you are an enigma for sure. I've seen some very thoughtful and insightful posts from you in here over the last while but then you spew this crap which baffles me. You refer to the biased referees and frenzied home fans giving Canada a built in advantage. I must have missed it in the last two IIHF World Championships. I didn't realize Canada was playing in front of packed arenas full of rabid Canadian fans in these European arenas. Did the NHL take a break at the Stanley Cup playoffs to let the Canadian NHL referees go to the WC? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad