Confirmed with Link: Curtis Glencross Traded to Washington for 2nd&3rd Round Picks

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Things Craig MacTavish would say.
Things Oilers fans have been saying for years.
Things Kevin Lowe would say.

Wait, this isn't the $64,000 Pyramid?

I'm only kind of kidding too. I'm not a fan of this kind of mentality, you can be patient in stocking the cupboards during a rebuild while learning how to win.

We're talking about moving a single older middle six vet, who was a pending UFA that explicitly stated an intention to test the market in the offseason. Comparing the logic of that move to the mentality of the Oilers' management is a complete strawman, even if it's partially in jest.

I get that everyone wants to see the Flames in the playoffs this season and have the rebuild succeed purely through amazing drafting and shrewd hockey trades or whatever, but at some point a GM has to undertake some asset management.

Blackhawks: built by stockpiling draft picks, not holding onto 32 year old supporting players. Kings: built by stockpiling draft picks. Isles: built by stockpiling draft picks. And on and on. Yes, some teams (like the Bruins) managed to miraculously rebuild without adding extra picks over a series of drafts, but that's not good rebuilding practice. You don't rely on a Norris calibre defenceman signing with your team as a free agent and a bunch of 2nd-4th round picks far exceeding expectations as the basis for a rebuild.

At the very least, swapping Glencross for picks gives the Flames flexibility in trades. Everyone has interest in picks, but not all teams have interest in veteran wingers on expiring contracts at the deadline.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Comparisons to the Oilers never make any sense; it's always a paper-thin excuse for fear mongering.

Anyway:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'd give up a first for Yandle in a heartbeat. The guy's only 28. He has another 8 years of being a top defenseman in the league.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
I'd give up a first for Yandle in a heartbeat. The guy's only 28. He has another 8 years of being a top defenseman in the league.

It wouldn't be a first. It would be a first and one of our top prospects at least.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
At the very least, swapping Glencross for picks gives the Flames flexibility in trades. Everyone has interest in picks, but not all teams have interest in veteran wingers on expiring contracts at the deadline.

I agree with this part of your post.

...and I'm more than willing to wait until the mid-afternoon tomorrow before decrying this trade as "tank-lite" (which is extreme, but it conveys how I feel quite well)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want to give a big thanks to Glencross for all that he did over the years for the team that I love. He was an awesome Flame for a lot of years and for the most part, he played the game the right way.

The way I see it, this marriage just came to an end plain and simple. Yes the Flames would of been better off to keep him for a playoff run, but the NHL is a business and circumstances arose which caused this to end. The Flames are a rebuilding club, it's obvious that he wasn't in our long term plans and he wasn't going to be extended for what he would of wanted to stay here. As Skobel said, the Flames did the right thing and asked him for a list of teams he would go to in order to give him his best shot at a Cup.

People can debate if we should of kept him for the remainder of the year or not, but there were events that occurred that caused this to happen. It's a business, were a little weaker today, but I feel like the Flames did the right thing here for both Curtis and for themselves. I wish Glencross all the best in his remainder of his career.

I'm really curious to see what Treliving does with these assets from now leading up until the draft.

western redmen

the forgotten owskis
Jun 7, 2012
If people are really worry about the lack of leadership in the locker room, why don't we just call big ern up?? He wont contribute much on the ice but he is known to be a team guy

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If people are really worry about the lack of leadership in the locker room, why don't we just call big ern up?? He wont contribute much on the ice but he is known to be a team guy

If you cant contribute on the ice then you arent leading much

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
All the best, Curtis!

I hope you guys meet the Pens in the playoffs and sweep them!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
According to Lebrun on TSN, only two of the original 5 teams on Glencross's list were interested in talking to Calgary about him.

Makes sense given Treliving had to go back and expand the list. Good return given that information.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
After listening to Treliving's interview I really agree with my interpretation where he talked about the 2nd and 3rd being important considering our last third got us Hickey who could develop into a good offensive defensemen.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't agree with this. There can be guys that aren't stars on the team but are a huge lift in the dressing room and off ice activities.

Yes but this guy is not even good enough to get on the ice.

Some people like to glorify the guy but he is really no use. That's why he is in the AHL unless you think the FLames do not know what they are doing.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I too, wish nothing but the best to GlenX. He was definitely a favourite player by fans, and the team. But all good things must come to an end sometimes. I know who I'm cheering for in the east this playoffs.(especially if Flames don't make it)

It all boils down to this: He wasn't going to resign, he wanted out(with the trade request) we honored it. Smart asset management 101. While it will hurt out chances of making the playoffs, I think we can all agree that this season alone has been a huge success to even be sniffing the playoffs at the trade deadline. We were all ready and content to be in the lotto conversation and which top 3-5 prospect we might get.

Our young players stepped up in a big way, a lot of them took that fabled '2nd step' into becoming regular NHL'ers.
We do not have a single player replacement for what Glenny brought, no, but we can do it by committee, which is what we've been doing all season long, being a team and playing for each other.

If we make the playoffs; great, bonus, playoff experience is definitely helpful in a rebuild. If we don't, it was good experience just to be in the playoff hunt for most of the season.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
He didn't seem like he really wanted to go and made it seem like due to an expected birth in two months that he just needed to move now and set up. He also said he would enjoy coming back in the summer to Calgary and how he liked everyone and how him and a couple of the vets would always go out for a meal when away on the road. I thought he sounded very melancholy throughout the interview and to me by the end it was kind of rough, hes a good guy and I liked watching him play, but given the organizational depth he can't be given a top 6 role. I like what we got for him but the interview really brought the human aspect as opposed to the fantasy GM aspect to what a trade really means and I hope he does well in his future NHL career.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Glad hes gone. He is one of the more frustrating players to watch. To me personally, consistency but scores less > inconsistency but scores more (to an extent). Glencross also looked like he might be past his prime. While we hate to admit it, this season might be the best Glencross can do. Good deal in my opinion, actually surprised Washington put that much on him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's true, these players are real people and it's easy to forget that. That's the business though and the players are professionals but when you spend 7 years in a particular place and start a family there, I'm sure it has to be very hard for Glencross to just relocate to somewhere else.

He was a good guy here and did a ton in the community, he deserves good fortune.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad