OT: Create a future roster (under 25's)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If you're asking me who almost certainly will here or in the NHL in 5 years.

100 percent: Larkin. Hronek. Zadina. Seider. Raymond.
85 percent: Rasmussen.
80 percent: Veleno. Berggren.
50 percent: Johansson.
45 percent: Soderblom.
40 percent: Cholowski. Svechnikov.
35 percent: Lindstrom. Smith.

After that, it just feels like, who knows? I like Niederbach, but still. Wallinder? Nice tools, but could easily be a bust. Tuomisto? Mastrosimone? Let's see them in the AHL.
McIsaac would be up there with some injury luck.
I would rank Smith higher and Svech much much lower. A player who's cleared waivers twice won't last 5 years, 10% at most. Smith will be on a roster somewhere, but might not be a regular.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I would rank Smith higher and Svech much much lower. A player who's cleared waivers twice won't last 5 years, 10% at most. Smith will be on a roster somewhere, but might not be a regular.

Yeah, I know, you hthink Svechnikov, sucks.
Problem is, Smith isn't much good either. If Smith brought his physical game on a nightly basis, I'd agree with you. But he doesn't. So I have a hard time believing he makes it.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I know, you hthink Svechnikov, sucks.
Problem is, Smith isn't much good either. If Smith brought his physical game on a nightly basis, I'd agree with you. But he doesn't. So I have a hard time believing he makes it.
Me and every GM in the league.

I give Smith 50/50. I'm not saying he's a lock by any means. Times have changed but a player like Smith is still useful in certain games.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
lol what a trip opening this thread, assuming it's new, and seeing Sheahan's name first thing.
What is eye opening given the wings are rebuilding is how few guys are in the nhl from the roster the people have constructed. Only around 8 or so. And some that are around are in their last chance at sticking. Plus, almost all of these guys are still in their 20’s. 2009 picks would be turning 30 in 2021.
Just shows how many draft picks don’t make it.

Reactions: 14ari13

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
That lineup wouldn't even compete in the Ahl
Its crazy to see how many guys turned into nothing. Yzerman actually has to build pretty much new team. Say after next year how many guys left that Holland brought in or picked? Few years all the Holland trash will be flushed

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That lineup wouldn't even compete in the Ahl
Its crazy to see how many guys turned into nothing. Yzerman actually has to build pretty much new team. Say after next year how many guys left that Holland brought in or picked? Few years all the Holland trash will be flushed
I peg the under/over of Holland draft picks when Detroit next makes the playoffs at 4.5

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It kind of blows my mind that from the OP, every single player is gone except Danny D. What are the odds of that?
That was from 7 years ago. I think a lot of teams don’t have many guys from 2014 still on their roster.

I think what blows my mind is how few are left in the NHL and a couple of those guys are just hanging on now. Probably don’t get an nhl contract in the off season.

One thing for them to not be on the roster another to not be in the nhl in their 20’s.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Dekeyser-Sproul
Ouellet-Smith
Backman-Marchenko

Mrazek
Paterson
Man, other than DeKeyser and Smith it is beyond terrible.

ryan murray is going to be a legit stud dman

not surprised the Isles wanted him
Just a regular dman at best.

The hype about the draft picks and prospects is so wrong and so crazy.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Raymond 2022Pick Zadina
Berggren Larkin Vrana
Veleno Rasmussen Neiderbach
Soderblom Some pick some pick

2021 pick Seider
Johansson Hronek
Mcissac Wallinder

Who knows

fabbri and bert will be gone by then
Why would Fabbri be gone when he is the best player on that list?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Why would Fabbri be gone when he is the best player on that list?

tenor.gif

Reactions: saska sault

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
People drafted in the top 15 picks in the NHL Draft are usually good bets to become NHL players. Some first liners, some second liners, some third liners.

The OP was in 2014... Lets look at that draft:

Ekblad - top pairing D
Reinhart - 1st/2nd liner
Draisaitl - 1st liner
Sam Bennett - 3rd liner
Dal Colle - 4th liner / AHL
Virtanen - 3rd liner
H. Fleury - bottom pairing D / AHL
W. Nylander - 1st/2nd liner
Ehlers - 1st/2nd liner
N. Ritchie - 2nd/3rd liner
Fiala - 2nd liner?
Perlini - Bust
Vrana - 2nd liner (Hello, he is ours now!)
Honka - Bust
Larkin - 1st/2nd liner (Well Drafted, Our favourite player)

HM Fabbri (also ours, drafted 21)

Only 8/15 are top 6 F's or top 4 D men.
The odds get much much worse past round 1.

Bottom line is People were wearing huge rose covered glasses to list a future lineup of prospects that included so many 2nd round picks.
I believe we should be very lucky if 1 out of every 3 2nd round picks even makes the NHL, let alone develop into a top 6F, top 4D man.

But that is where we need to hit homers to speed up this rebuild.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
People drafted in the top 15 picks in the NHL Draft are usually good bets to become NHL players. Some first liners, some second liners, some third liners.

The odds get much much worse past round 1.

Bottom line is People were wearing huge rose covered glasses to list a future lineup of prospects that included so many 2nd round picks.
I believe we should be very lucky if 1 out of every 3 2nd round picks even makes the NHL, let alone develop into a top 6F, top 4D man.

But that is where we need to hit homers to speed up this rebuild.
Only so many players are going to have a career in the NHL from every draft. If you go over the draft picks from like 2010-2015 (as the 2016 class is just turning 23 this year), and look at pick 25 onwards, there are only so many that either have hit 200 NHL games played or are tracking to get to that mark. Probably around 25-30 players from that selection onwards will hit that mark. And these are not all top 6 guys. Plenty of bottom 6 F and 5-7 Dmen.

You can use lower games played, but a guy like Ehn played around 114 of them as a 2014 draft pick, for 2 years, all on his ELC, and returned to Sweden. Getting to 200 NHL games means that the team had to give you a second contract. If you managed to play 200 NHL games on your ELC, that should mean that you play much more than 200 games as the team can send guys down to the A without clearing waivers if they feel the player needs more seasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad