Proposal: Crazy MIN - DET deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't care about how much you want to overrate a player. He is a dime a dozen.

It's more about the fact that you're trying to offer evaluation on a player and situation you know nothing about

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's more about the fact that you're trying to offer evaluation on a player and situation you know nothing about
The fact you offer nothing to change my mind other than a little missy fit shows this is just another classic HF " Our minor league player would be sooooo good on your team, it's just that we are soooooo deep/our coach is sooooo dumb we can't use him".

Throw him on the pile of Leivo's, Niku's Juulsen's etc.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I fully understand that Menell doesn't have a ton of value league wide, and the number of Menell threads OP makes is entirely excessive, but fighting it with ignorance probably isn't very productive either.
Ignorant? Let’s evaluate this idiotic idea by the OP shall we. Detroit is one of the worst teams in NHL and will remain so for at least another season or two.. Minnesota is a playoff team. Head over to Tankathon and we’ll just use those draft slots since it’s as close as you can guess today.

Detroit picks 5th OA. Minnesota 22nd OA. This is swapping the 5th OA pick or thereabouts for the 22nd OA pick. But to make it worse. It’s the much better 2022 draft.

All for the rights to an player with tiny value that’s a 24 year old AHL nobody.

that there is a very stupid trade proposal by the OP. Really stupid and if their GM accepted, he’d be the stupidest GM league wide.

But Making it a swap of 3rd rounders moves Minnesota up 15-20 picks to the top of round 3. Maybe they get a better prospect. That’s minor value for a player that carries minor value.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ignorant? Let’s evaluate this idiotic idea by the OP shall we. Detroit is one of the worst teams in NHL and will remain so for at least another season or two.. Minnesota is a playoff team. Head over to Tankathon and we’ll just use those draft slots since it’s as close as you can guess today.

Detroit picks 5th OA. Minnesota 22nd OA. This is swapping the 5th OA pick or thereabouts for the 22nd OA pick. But to make it worse. It’s the much better 2022 draft.

All for the rights to an player with tiny value that’s a 24 year old AHL nobody.

that there is a very stupid trade proposal by the OP. Really stupid and if their GM accepted, he’d be the stupidest GM league wide.

But Making it a swap of 3rd rounders moves Minnesota up 15-20 picks to the top of round 3. Maybe they get a better prospect. That’s minor value for a player that carries minor value.

I never said the OP was any good, but you really should know anything about the player in question before you start offering your opinion of him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I never said the OP was any good, but you really should know anything about the player in question before you start offering your opinion of him.
Then blow up the OP... give it a shot yourself since you’re saying the offer is lousy. Instead of getting after those that let him know his proposal is a hot mess of dumb. A swap of 3rd round picks isn’t without value. Avs just picked up a nice player on Foudy doing this at the 2020 draft. Moved up into the top of round 3. And got themselves a nice prospect.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Then blow up the OP... give it a shot yourself since you’re saying the offer is lousy. Instead of getting after those that let him know his proposal is a hot mess of dumb. A swap of 3rd round picks isn’t without value. Avs just picked up a nice player on Foudy doing this at the 2020 draft. Moved up into the top of round 3. And got themselves a nice prospect.

Again, I can't make this much clearer, I don't care that you're telling him the offer isn't any good. And I don't particularly want to trade Menell, so I'm not going to try to come up with a counter offer. The issue is when you and the other guy try to act like you know what Menell is, and know his situation based off his EliteProspects page. Menell is not the type of player you move if you want to move up 15 spots in the third round. You can accomplish that for significantly less. The fact that you don't understand that is exactly why you shouldn't be speaking to what Menell is.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

What is there to know? He’s a soon-to-be 24 year old with 5 games of NHL experience. He’s smallish. He was undrafted. He has next to zero public advocates. We don’t even need to know his name to know what kind of value he has. If he’s so great, why is he almost unknown outside of Minnesota? And ask yourself when has a team EVER involved a 1st rounder in a trade for such a player?

He could be the defense version of Martin St. Louis. Doesn’t change the fact that he still has the same crappy value that MSL had under similar conditions.

This trade is so bizarre and so far off that it feels like straight up trolling.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Warning! This is the mix of my previous ideas, it's so crazy that it's almost an alchemy, if you don't like that, you can always use "ignore thread" button.

With that being said, the actual deal takes into consideration following facts:
1) Detroit desperately needs to improve their defence,
2) Brennan Menell didn't crack the Minnesota Wild roster yet and will be 24 in May.
3) If Menell fails in Detroit, then it turns out that he wasn't good enough for NHL.

However, this isn't your typical "prospect for pick" deal because my crazy idea is following:

DET gets rights to Brennan Menell,

MIN gets the right to swap 2022 1st round picks (lottery-protected, if pick ends up in top 2, Minnesota gets 2023 swap with the same protection and if that pick ends up top 2 as well, Minnesota gets 2023 2nd round pick DET while ofc keeping their own pick).

Obviously I didn't involve 2021 picks since Minnesota is doing very well and Detroit is a bottom five team so the value would favor Minnesota way too much.

What do you think?
For Detroit to offer this kind of first swap, I'd want a blue chip prospect coming back as we're trading a top ten pick for a mid-late first. It would have to be someone that projects as a top line/potential star player. We will be picking top ten for 2022 and 2023 as well as this team shows no signs of climbing out of the basement soon. I could do something like this for a more minor piece if the lottery protection was instead top ten protected and indefinite- if we're in the top ten in 2022 it gets pushed to 2023, if we're again in the top ten it gets pushed to 2024, if we're again in the top ten... Until it's a pick 11 or later.

That being said, even in that improved format I don't think Menell is the kind of piece we'd target. He's a RD. His stats don't indicate he has any upside. There's no reason for us to target a player like him for a team in our position. We need to target high upside players that can form a piece of our core. The filler, we will acquire once the core starts to take shape. Admittedly I don't know much about Menell. I just checked out his stats and such. Ultimately, I don't see a good deal to be made here.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What is there to know? He’s a soon-to-be 24 year old with 5 games of NHL experience. He’s smallish. He was undrafted. He has next to zero public advocates. We don’t even need to know his name to know what kind of value he has. If he’s so great, why is he almost unknown outside of Minnesota? And ask yourself when has a team EVER involved a 1st rounder in a trade for such a player?

He could be the defense version of Martin St. Louis. Doesn’t change the fact that he still has the same crappy value that MSL had under similar conditions.

This trade is so bizarre and so far off that it feels like straight up trolling.

This is exactly what I'm saying :laugh:

Everyone who has responded to me in this thread has never heard of Menell before, but they checked his EP page when they saw this thread, and want to act like experts on the player.

And because I'm defending Menell from the idea that's he's a nobody AHL player with no future and no possible way he could have any value, you all make the assumption that I think the OP is a good deal or that I think Menell would return a lottery first rounder.

If you have to check EP before you can post about a players value, or if your valuation is based off of never having heard of the player before, you shouldn't be posting about the players value. *That doesn't mean OP's offer is good*

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is the 2nd thread I've seen involving the Brenen Menell name.
My first thought is who the hell is that... a nobody?
Lets see who he is on hockey db.....Small (5'11) offensive RD defensemen. Decent/Good production in AHL/KHL. Was never drafted.

My first thought is I would offer a 4th or 5th round pick for him.
Or who knows, probably don't care or don't want him at all.

I mean sell me on how this guy will even make the NHL? Small offensive D men fail to make the NHL all the time.

P.S. Our needs are:

Center, LD, Goalies. We are pretty good on wingers, and our most solid position (because of Seider) is RD.

P.P.S. Is his ELC or rights expiring? Couldn't we just sign him for free next year?

We're actually up to 5 or 6 now. It's beyond the point of weird now.

Reactions: MisterT

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The only person that disagrees with this is the OP.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
This is exactly what I'm saying :laugh:

Everyone who has responded to me in this thread has never heard of Menell before, but they checked his EP page when they saw this thread, and want to act like experts on the player.

And because I'm defending Menell from the idea that's he's a nobody AHL player with no future and no possible way he could have any value, you all make the assumption that I think the OP is a good deal or that I think Menell would return a lottery first rounder.

If you have to check EP before you can post about a players value, you shouldn't be posting about the players value. *That doesn't mean OP's offer is good*

And that proves my point. Usually when a guy like this has any value whatsoever, the hype train has already been going for a while.

Also - no one is checking EP stats and basing their opinion off that alone. They’re basing it off the fact that this guy has seemingly zero public proponents. That he’s shown nothing more than any of the Almqvists and Pulkkinens and Hudons and Braccos and....the list goes on. That he’s never played for Minnesota for more than 5 games - do you really think Minnesota has been some powerhouse defense that a player who has allegedly been some amazing prospect for the past 3 years can only get a 5 game cup of tea?

If Mennell was as good as you say, he’d have fans around the NHL asking why he isn’t in the NHL yet. Wings fans would know. We’ve had probably 50 Mennells in the organization over our QUARTER CENTURY of being a playoff team and I can’t think of any who actually ended up being valuable, save for Nyquist, and the Wings had fans from other teams coming out of the woodwork to ask why he wasn’t given a shot. It was such a calamity that Kenny Holland actually had to come out and make a statement as to why Nyquist wasn’t in the NHL.

And the best part about all this is that EP stats are literally the only thing of substance that indicates this guy has any pro hockey ability whatsoever. You and yours have provided almost nothing to support why this guy warrants being traded for AT ALL, let alone for the massive value that is moving up in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad