Injury Report: Crawford appendectomy

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
excellent premise of a topic. i love this post.

but i think ego is needing to change, but the idea of going back to basics. they were trying too hard to being fancy with the passes and plays, esp in the offense zone.

2 shots on goal or is it really 3:sarcasm:, but come on, darling was great in nets ..... 2 x breakaways, by the end of the second period.
I'm not saying Darling wasn't at least "good enough" in the net.

The point of that ego is precisely that--back to basics. The quote by Herb Brooks applies: The core playing right now doesn't "...have the talent to win on talent alone".

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm not saying Darling wasn't at least "good enough" in the net.

The point of that ego is precisely that--back to basics. The quote by Herb Brooks applies: The core playing right now doesn't "...have the talent to win on talent alone".

well i see you point again, i will settle for this in my mind, you say ego, i will say all that finesse / fancy stuff , deal. :D

but i wholeheartedly agree with you, something is missing, needs to simplify everything. go back to the basic, and have them shoot the damn puck on net.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Crawford aint gonna do ****, Darling played lights out today but the pathetic roster Stan the man has assembled is finally being exposed for its lack of scoring depth, but hey people like defense, we are now looking forward to our biggest defender to come back, you know Toews, hurray!!!

With the way Crawford has been playing, they probably at least get a point last night if not the win.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
With the way Crawford has been playing, they probably at least get a point last night if not the win.

Not last night. First goal goes in on every goalie. Second goal maybe Crawford gets but it was a good shot so you can't assume he would get it. Darling was not close to the issue last night.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Not last night. First goal goes in on every goalie. Second goal maybe Crawford gets but it was a good shot so you can't assume he would get it. Darling was not close to the issue last night.

I didn't mean to imply he was the issue, merely that Crawford has been otherworldly and stolen several such games for us this season.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't mean to imply he was the issue, merely that Crawford has been otherworldly and stolen several such games for us this season.

I figured that.

I retract my statement on the first goal; I think Carey Price saves it. Not the easiest play to read but I think saves it (maybe not the rebound though).

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I figured that.

I retract my statement on the first goal; I think Carey Price saves it. Not the easiest play to read but I think saves it (maybe not the rebound though).

Maybe, but if it takes a fHoF goalie to save the team's bacon in the last 2 games, with the star power we're paying for in Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hjammer, Anisimov, and Hossa, and to a lesser extent Campbell and Panarin, then you're 100% correct--the goalie is not the issue.

I don't expect 82-0-0. I know there are going to be bad games here-and-there. Here's hoping it was a wake-up call.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Maybe, but if it takes a fHoF goalie to save the team's bacon in the last 2 games, with the star power we're paying for in Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hjammer, Anisimov, and Hossa, and to a lesser extent Campbell and Panarin, then you're 100% correct--the goalie is not the issue.

I don't expect 82-0-0. I know there are going to be bad games here-and-there. Here's hoping it was a wake-up call.

there is one wild card in your theory, the other team can identify this as well and put their best matchup or defensive players to cover ours..... each will cancel each out.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
any word if crow's appendix burst? read somewhere that former nhl'er chris mason was asked about his appendix surgery and he said although his appendix did burst, he was lucky and so it took him two weeks or so to return

edit: here is the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...orey-crawford-chris-mason-20161203-story.html

Chris Mason, who played for four NHL teams over seven seasons from 1998 to 2013, had an appendectomy when he was with the Blues in October 2008. Mason played his first game just 13 days after having the procedure.

“It was a fairly quick recovery,” Mason said in a phone interview Saturday. “The hardest thing for me was when I stretched out my abdomen, if I was going side to side or diving across or something like that. It wasn’t too bad for me. I know it differs from person to person.”

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
any word if crow's appendix burst? read somewhere that former nhl'er chris mason was asked about his appendix surgery and he said although his appendix did burst, he was lucky and so it took him two weeks or so to return

edit: here is the link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...orey-crawford-chris-mason-20161203-story.html

If it burst, he could be in the hospital for a long time. A burst appendix can basically poison the body. Your life is in danger. Mason was lucky.

The problem with the surgery is the incision it makes into the abdomen muscle. If you cut the muscle it takes time to heal. The bigger the incision, the longer the rehab ... and more about a player's tolerance to pain.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
If it burst, he could be in the hospital for a long time. A burst appendix can basically poison the body. Your life is in danger. Mason was lucky.

The problem with the surgery is the incision it makes into the abdomen muscle. If you cut the muscle it takes time to heal. The bigger the incision, the longer the rehab ... and more about a player's tolerance to pain.

A lot of times it can be done laproscopically, which is basically just three tiny holes cut into the abdomen as opposed to a large incision. This cuts recovery time down literally in half. That's what I had done and I was back to work (physically demanding job at the time) after one week. Given how much more twisting and torque his body is under as an NHL goaltender, I'd say two weeks is a lot more likely, but it shouldn't be too much more than that if that's the operation he had. If they had to cut an incision it's definitely longer than that.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
A lot of times it can be done laproscopically, which is basically just three tiny holes cut into the abdomen as opposed to a large incision. This cuts recovery time down literally in half. That's what I had done and I was back to work (physically demanding job at the time) after one week. Given how much more twisting and torque his body is under as an NHL goaltender, I'd say two weeks is a lot more likely, but it shouldn't be too much more than that if that's the operation he had. If they had to cut an incision it's definitely longer than that.

Yeah ...that's what I heard. If the operation wasn't intrusive (laser), Crow can play in 2 weeks depending on his pain tolerance. But I'm taking the conservative estimate of a month due to the physicality of being a goalie. 3 weeks can be doable though.

I'm a big UVA basketball fan. A couple years ago, UVA was ranked #2 when Justin Anderson had an emergency appendectomy. It took him 2.5 weeks to get back on the court. He's a big strong kid. I'm thinking at least 3 weeks for a goalie. And it's not the playoffs. We should be more conservative.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Yeah ...that's what I heard. If the operation wasn't intrusive (laser), Crow can play in 2 weeks depending on his pain tolerance. But I'm taking the conservative estimate of a month due to the physicality of being a goalie. 3 weeks can be doable though.

I'm a big UVA basketball fan. A couple years ago, UVA was ranked #2 when Justin Anderson had an emergency appendectomy. It took him 2.5 weeks to get back on the court. He's a big strong kid. I'm thinking at least 3 weeks for a goalie. And it's not the playoffs. We should be more conservative.

You are probably right on that. Makes sense.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

While general surgery isn't my specialty, I'm still relatively sure that an appendectomy, regardless of whether it's done traditionally or laparoscopically, is not done with a laser. With a laparoscopic appy, cautery is used to remove the appendix from the intestine, and then the cut end is tied off at the small intestine.

Recovery and back to work in the scope procedure (particularly for an athlete) less involves the actual skin incisions healing and more involves whether the cut end of the intestine has healed sufficiently to not open with aggressive movement. I don't know what that actual time in weeks would be.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
While general surgery isn't my specialty, I'm still relatively sure that an appendectomy, regardless of whether it's done traditionally or laparoscopically, is not done with a laser. With a laparoscopic appy, cautery is used to remove the appendix from the intestine, and then the cut end is tied off at the small intestine.

Recovery and back to work in the scope procedure (particularly for an athlete) less involves the actual skin incisions healing and more involves whether the cut end of the intestine has healed sufficiently to not open with aggressive movement. I don't know what that actual time in weeks would be.

The skin incisions aren't the problem but the amount of abdominal muscle that is cut through is. Bigger incision, more muscle cut through = more healing needed.

It's crazy, you have no idea how much your core is responsible for almost every movement of your body until you have something like this done and every single damn movement you make hurts like there's no tomorrow.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The skin incisions aren't the problem but the amount of abdominal muscle that is cut through is. Bigger incision, more muscle cut through = more healing needed.

It's crazy, you have no idea how much your core is responsible for almost every movement of your body until you have something like this done and every single damn movement you make hurts like there's no tomorrow.

Agree that the muscles need to heal to the extent that the pain is tolerable. However the important issue is the cut end of the intestine not opening after being sutured.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
According to some fans, this is happening to Crow ...

CExHhMAUIAE2QkB.png

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2