Waived: Craig Cunningham

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm pissed. Really liked watching the kid play. Chiarelli sometimes makes it hard to stick up for him. Horrible move.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Nice job, Chia.

I pegged Cunningham to get traded in a deal two years ago, so I guess I shouldn't be so annoyed.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Best of luck, has quite a motor but not too worked up over losing him, he should get a chance to play in AZ.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Never really saw anything in Cunningham that was much. I prefer our new 4th line wingers. Fraser actually looked good in preseason this yr but that's about it for him. I really doubt either of these two guys ever turn in to much. Not sure who said it but I did laugh out loud when someone on here said Cunningham should win the 6th player award. I admit there is really no obvious choice for that award this year but picking him as the winner was still hilarious .

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Stupid giving away assets for free. Caron should have been the one waived/Demoted.

CC had no futur with th Bruins. Even as a 4th liner.

Should still have been traded for a 7th rounder instead of losing him for free. But maybe Chiarelli offered him to everyone and nobody wanted to give anything?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Should still have been traded for a 7th rounder instead of losing him for free. But maybe Chiarelli offered him to everyone and nobody wanted to give anything?

Why not? Campbell and Paille are expiring and shouldn't be here next year.

We'll sign an overpaid, underwhelming vet in their place next year?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

I don't see why CC had no future here. I thought since the pre-season that he should be the first guy in line to replace Greg Campbell on the 4th line.

This sucks. I'm *pissed* that we lost him for nothing. I thought he was exactly the kind of player that line needs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
After hearing Chia's reasoning for waiving Cunningham you start to understand some of the problems this management team has.

Fact is, Cunningham was an NHL caliber player. Maybe a 4th line/13th forward player, but an NHL caliber player all the same. He was versatile, and on a cheap contract with next year contract probably in the same price range. He brought a 100% effort every game.

And Chia lost him for nothing. Just to clear some cap room.

If Chia wanted to clear cap room, waive Campbell or Paille. There both gone this summer anyways. They make more money now. They have been supplanted IMO by Spooner and Ferlin. Keep your younger cheaper assets and if cap space is required rid yourself of aging pricier vets if they are comparable players. Keep your young cost controlled players.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
After hearing Chia's reasoning for waiving Cunningham you start to understand some of the problems this management team has.

Fact is, Cunningham was an NHL caliber player. Maybe a 4th line/13th forward player, but an NHL caliber player all the same. He was versatile, and on a cheap contract with next year contract probably in the same price range. He brought a 100% effort every game.

If Chia wanted to clear cap room, waive Campbell or Paille. There both gone this summer anyways. They make more money now. They have been supplanted IMO by Spooner and Ferlin. Keep your younger cheaper assets and if cap space is required rid yourself of aging pricier vets if they are comparable players. Keep your young cost controlled players.

Cap room for what exactly? He didn't use it. This was a clear choice in his aging vets over a young kid showing promise. One of those aging vets is almost literally the worst player in the NHL today in Campbell.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

You do realize teams lose 12th and 13th forwards for nothing all the time right?

I can't believe the calamity this is bringing. Somebody tell me one thing Cunningham did well. He was a non factor. As a matter of fact, I'd say Jordan Caron has looked better than him since being reinserted into the lineup.

Losing him isn't something to cause an uproar about. He is a dime a dozen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Cap room for what exactly? He didn't use it. This was a clear choice in his aging vets over a young kid showing promise. One of those aging vets is almost literally the worst player in the NHL today in Campbell.

I thought I read somewhere it was cap space needed for a deal that fell though (Shocker!)

Let me ask this, assuming Paille and Campbell would of been claimed on waivers and the Talbot trade didn't happen, which group of assets would you rather have?

Caron
Cunningham
Fraser

OR

Paille
Campbell
Talbot

I'd rather the three young players. Basically all 6 are 4th line players right now.

And come this summer and next season you still have 3 assets if you want to qualify them. As it stands right now the only asset of this 6 left will be Talbot.

This season Chia's loyalty to Campbell and Paille blocked two 4th line spots (three until Gagne retired) where cheap young players could be assimilated into the line-up. Next season it'll will be Talbot and Kelly blocking two young players from NHL minutes. Then they wonder why this team is regressing year after year. Young players constantly cast aside in favor of veteran pluggers. Doesn't help they have a coach that LOVES his grizzled veteran pluggers.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You do realize teams lose 12th and 13th forwards for nothing all the time right?

I can't believe the calamity this is bringing. Somebody tell me one thing Cunningham did well. He was a non factor. As a matter of fact, I'd say Jordan Caron has looked better than him since being reinserted into the lineup.

Losing him isn't something to cause an uproar about. He is a dime a dozen.

I do and your right, it's not Cunningham the player, I just don't understand keeping aging grizzled veterans who cost more $$$ over a younger cheaper player when the vets are UFA after this season and the younger player can do they job they do just as good if not better.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I do and your right, it's not Cunningham the player, I just don't understand keeping aging grizzled veterans who cost more $$$ over a younger cheaper player when the vets are UFA after this season and the younger player can do they job they do just as good if not better.

Ok I see what you're saying, that's totally understandable. I think in the end it just comes down to Claude's comfort level with the players- that's the only explanation I have for why they keep throwing Paille out there (I don't think Campbell has been as bad as people claim this year)

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad