Post-Game Talk: Craig Anderson does it again(Leafs fell asleep also)

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I've watched a few NHL old-timers talk about the Leafs and they think the Leafs problem is they don't have a killer instinct. I kinda think that assessment is spot on, The first period, they were world beaters, the second period they couldn't beat a OHL team. There is no team that I watched this year that is more Jekyll and Hyde than the Leafs. It's like they were happy with the 1st period and said, well our job is done here, the complacency is a problem. Winning a period wont win you the cup.

Reactions: Racer88

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Leafs had the same exact problem with babcock, they change the coach and this problem still there... they can change for a new one, the problem will still there...

Thats will never change until matthews, marner, nylander and key player will decide to play full 60 min during 82 gm... if they didn't change, that will still the case again and again, simple as that
So two coaches don't work, therefore all coaches won't work?

I'm not saying it's only the coach, just that it's not only a couple of players.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
In Keefe world, having a “balanced roster” means going with a 9/9 format.

I say do away with the conventional 12/6, and obviously 11/7 isn’t working and then going 10/8 would be entirely too predictable.

Keefe mus show himself to be the trailblazer that he is and become Master of the 9/9 lineup.

Legendary I tell you!!

How about a two goalie system? Where one stuffs the net and the other plays in the blue paint?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
We've tried other players on the PP, Rielly is not the Problem!

PP was garbage when he was hurt this season.

Tried Sandin, to finish off the 2021 season and into the playoffs, the PP with Sandin on the A unit went an absolutely mind boggling 1 goal for and 2 goals against over ~30 opportunities.

Tried Barrie for much of his season, despite multiple seasons of PP success under his belt - an absolute disaster with Barrie. Who then went on to QB the best PP in hockey immediately after leaving the Leafs.

Our PP has issues, but Rielly isn't the problem. If anything he's a big part of what's holding things together.

Exactly and reacting like leafs pp is totally trash when hes 2nd best
Small sample size using someone other than Rielly to make any definite conclusions. I think there may be other issues with the PP (which btw may not be many given we're #3 in the league) but Rielly is definitely the biggest issue. This season he has ONE powerplay goal, only 13 in his career. Heck, Dougie Hamilton and Roman Josi have 8 this year alone. When defencemen like Heiskanen, Theodore, Petry, Skjej, Faulk have more goals than Rielly on the PP this season, you know you're not having a banner season. He's hesitant to make passes, has low offensive IQ, doesn't get shots through, doesn't shoot for a tip or rebound, and has only 12 assists on the #3 PP in the league. Now that we have Gustavsson, might want to give him a run with it.

Toronto having 2nd best pp of NHL, you know? So atop acting lile they was bottom 10 in NHL...
The team has straight up destroyed Liljegrens confidence after trading for 3 new defensemen, sitting him for multiple games and basically telling him that any mistakes will get him out of the lineup. It's insanity how they handled the young Swedish defensemen who were having excellent seasons before the deadline.

If liljegren cant handle pressure of competition and earn his spot, sorry hes not ready to play under pressure in playoff

• Haha
Reactions: ktownhockey

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Keefe is NOT the coach for this team, he's out to lunch on many fronts, this 11-7 BS needs to stop, kerfoot and Holl need to be sitting and team needs proper allocation of the D pairings.
According to thusk it's got nothing to do with him, but the problem is just that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander don't try hard enough.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Cheering for them to find a way to win come playoff time, but honestly not really expecting it.

end of the day we've all seen this sad story way too many times. if anyone thinks this team is goign to beat, TB, Bos and then Carolina in a 7 game series, good for them to begin oblivious to reality. One team has the best goalie in the world and the other has this years Veznia's winner, if by some miracle you get past them you got Carolina, who is one of the most complete teams top to bottom in the League.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
So two coaches don't work, therefore all coaches won't work?

I'm not saying it's only the coach, just that it's not only a couple of players.

If your core dont play hard and take day off, whatever how your bottom 6 will play, you will be in serious trouble and most of the time lost your game exactly whats happening...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Keefe said our goalie has been great. Now if he knew how to do his job this might be a better team

Four straight games of 4 goals or more by Murray, who is Keefe trying to fool?

giphy.gif

Why is it that McCabe sucks all of a sudden when he's paired with Justin Holl....

I'm gonna use the Morgan Rielly excuse maker....

..... Holl is a special player he needs a special partner that can play with him

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I believe Keefe is doing some experimenting to see what works and what doesn't before the playoffs. Problem is he is doing an extremely poor job of it and it's needlessly costing the team. The more I see the more I realize the guy just isn't that good of a coach. Sucks, I had high hopes for the guy replacing Babcock.
He figured out that 11F 7D doesn't work long ago. He's just back at it because the roster is so poorly constructed. What other team has 11 NHL caliber forwards and like 10 NHL caliber defensemen?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Quiz question for Leafs players before next game.

The duration of a hockey game (in minutes), barring OT is:

A) 20 mins.
B) 40 Mins.
C) As long as we feel like trying.
D) 60 mins.
^^
The answer might surprise you!

Leafs in 4.

It's just something about this team playing 7x60 min I don't see happening.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
end of the day we've all seen this sad story way too many times. if anyone thinks this team is goign to beat, TB, Bos and then Carolina in a 7 game series, good for them to begin oblivious to reality. One team has the best goalie in the world and the other has this years Veznia's winner, if by some miracle you get past them you got Carolina, who is one of the most complete teams top to bottom in the League.
It's not about the players on the ice imo. This roster has been good enough for at least the past four seasons to win at least one playoff round, and in reality multiple. That being said, I am not arguing that the other teams have great players that make a difference.

It's about the mental fragility of the core players. I mean, we are talking about a team that cannot find a way to beat teams that they outright dominate in the first 20... it's ridiculous.

And for those cheering all the fringe moves, which I think have been great, the one great consistency here has been the core players. They are the drivers, and while the new players bring much needed abilities, at the end of the day it is up to 34, 16, 91, 88 and 44 to get it done.

Reactions: geo25

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
According to thusk it's got nothing to do with him, but the problem is just that Matthews, Marner, and Nylander don't try hard enough.

Its like everyone blaming cooper after columbus series like if he was the problem there...

Its easy to blame coach for lack of intensity, until player dont learn they cant take a period off... like whats leafs did gm 2 vs tampa on 2nd period or gm 4 during 1st 8 minutes... if you cant motivate yourself to show up during a playoff game, sorry but no coach in this world would be able...

Reactions: LeafsFan89

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
How about a two goalie system? Where one stuffs the net and the other plays in the blue paint?
So you are suggesting a 9/8/2 model? Will we require a 3rd goalie on the bench in case one of the goalies playing gets injured?

Kerfoot-Matthews-Marner
Bunting-Tavares-Nylander
McMann-Holmberg-Steeves

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Liljegren
Gio-Timmins
Gus-Hollsy

I think this 9/8/2 lineup is genius, particularly the all Marlies 3rd line so Keefe can tinker and see what works.

Why dress Acciari, Kampf, Jarnkrok, and Lafferty? We already know what they can do.

We need to see what the others can do, amiright???

:)

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I was advocating to acquire McCabe for a while here. If Keefe wants to experiment this year with different combinations, I would try Rielly - McCabe. Otherwise stick to McCabe - Brodie. Next season play around with different combinations such as McCabe - Liljegren which I think would work really well. But we’ll need McCabe and Brodie to go up against Tampas top line.
I think brodie needs to babysit reilly

Put liljegren in there

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
We all have our thoughts and opinions which is fine, just some are more accurate , I joke I joke

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The team has straight up destroyed Liljegrens confidence after trading for 3 new defensemen, sitting him for multiple games and basically telling him that any mistakes will get him out of the lineup. It's insanity how they handled the young Swedish defensemen who were having excellent seasons before the deadline.
If that's all it took, then he hasn't got it.

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Enough with the Sandin stuff. Sandin problem was never his offense, it is his foot speed, size and defence.
I think most of us are not watching the Caps like we watch the Leafs and even if you are one of those who watch the Caps games like Leafs games, I doubt your emotion is as invested as watching the Leafs.

Just looking at highlights or box score or advance stats wont tell you why some here(myself included) think Sandin is a limited Dman. I said since two summers ago, Sandin will wow and owww us for 59 mins of the game but the opposing will make him look like crap for 1 min of the game which lead to a L for the Leafs bc he is not fast at all and weak in front of the net.
If he was playing last night, Tage or Tuch would probably score a goal where they just shoved Sandin off in front of the net or out skate him for a breakaway.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
He figured out that 11F 7D doesn't work long ago. He's just back at it because the roster is so poorly constructed. What other team has 11 NHL caliber forwards and like 10 NHL caliber defensemen?

He's back at it because he's such a yes man that he lets Dubas help with his lineup.

It's why he got the job in the first place.

Unless he's an absolute moron I guess. There's no reason to play kerfoot on the top line, Holl 20+ mins a game and to blow up our D pairings by running 7

Enough with the Sandin stuff. Sandin problem was never his offense, it is his foot speed, size and defence.
I think most of us are not watching the Caps like we watch the Leafs and even if you are one of those who watch the Caps games like Leafs games, I doubt your emotion is as invested as watching the Leafs.

Just looking at highlights or box score or advance stats wont tell you why some here(myself included) think Sandin is a limited Dman. I said since two summers ago, Sandin will wow and owww us for 59 mins of the game but the opposing will make him look like crap for 1 min of the game which lead to a L for the Leafs bc he is not fast at all and weak in front of the net.
If he was playing last night, Tage or Tuch would probably score a goal where they just shoved Sandin off in front of the net or out skate him for a breakaway.

The majority of our defenseman are like that right now anyways though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad