Tribute Craig Anderson Appreciation Thread

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
With the news that Craig will not be returning to the Senators, I for one am extremely appreciative of his contributions over his tenure here and think he deserves some kudos and acknowledgments.

For a team that struggled for so long for consistency between the pipes (Ottawa as a goaltender graveyard), he managed to provide stability in that position for over a decade, stealing crucial games in the process.

While the title of "best goalie in Senators history" is subject to all kinds of discussions around criteria, I do think that he was the best for the longest stretch of time and I will certainly miss his calm and steadying presence.

Here's one take:

https://thehockeywriters.com/senators-best-goalie-craig-anderson/

In 40 playoff games with Ottawa, Anderson has compiled a .928 SV% and a 2.30 GAA. His 40 games are second all-time in Senators’ history, while his save percentage and goals-against average are first and fourth, respectively.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I’ll miss the two pad stack +poke check move. Pretty much a tie between him and Tugnutt has my fave Sens goalies of all time. He carved out a pretty great career for himself based on how it started, go Craig!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His first game was against the Leafs and he was A M A Z I N G

Do i have that right? 50 save shutout or something?

Close!

Craig Anderson hardly needed any time to make an impression with his new team.

The goaltender stole the show in his first game as a member of the Ottawa Senators, turning aside 47 shots in regulation and overtime before going perfect in the shootout during a 1-0 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday.

Anderson makes impressive debut, Sens down Maple Leafs 1-0

That's the way to endear yourself to this fanbase.

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Used to scare the hell out of me every time he'd leave the net to play the puck, but haven't felt as comfortable with a goalie in a tight game as I have with him. That return game shutout was epic. Sucks that he might not get an in-game tribute, would be one hell of an ovation.

Reactions: Tremblay31

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Used to scare the hell out of me every time he'd leave the net to play the puck, but haven't felt as comfortable with a goalie in a tight game as I have with him. That return game shutout was epic. Sucks that he might not get an in-game tribute, would be one hell of an ovation.

I'm sure there will be an opportunity down the road to have a Craig Anderson night.

Reactions: Neil Patrick Harris

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Was never a huge fan personally, mostly because of the inconsistency, but wish him nothing but the best. His game in Edmonton during his wifes cancer battle was an incredible moment and he had many other great moments for the Senators.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Craig Anderson had some ups and downs in Ottawa but he gave this franchise a stable #1 goalie for a long time.

Obviously there's the conference finals run but I'll always remember Craig for being able to get stupidly hot and rack up wins when the team should have lost 7-0.

If he wants, I hope he can catch on as a veteran backup next season in the NHL.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
I think it speaks volumes about how good Andy was for us that the only complaint we can raise is that he was occasionally inconsistent. Especially considering how things were in the crease before we got him.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it speaks volumes about how good Andy was for us that the only complaint we can raise is that he was occasionally inconsistent. Especially considering how things were in the crease before we got him.

My issue with that criticism is that, were he more consistent, he'd be Vezina quality and likely never available to us in the first place.

Reactions: Kamina

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It was so nice having a goalie that actually stole games for us. So many times i remember shaking my head after a game wondering how we won that. Well it was Mr. Anderson. Hard to believe it was like a decade ago that he came over, played so well that he cost us Landeskog and landed us Jared. But after that he was often great for us. Looking forward to that well deserved appreciation night

Reactions: Kamina and NyQuil

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Always loved Andy, the only time I'd ever get nervous with him in goals was when I saw a player go for the wrap around! lol

But in all seriousness, outside of Hasek, he's the best goalie this franchise ever had.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A funny anecdote about Anderson is when Vegas returned with Mark Stone, didn't he score on a wraparound? He had a front-row seat for Anderson's only real weakness. Well, that and puck handling / leaving the crease.

His biggest strength? Breakaways in a game (e.g. not shootouts). My God, he stopped breakaways like they were nothing.

When he first came over, there was a game with 5 or 6 breakaways and he stopped them all.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
My issue with that criticism is that, were he more consistent, he'd be Vezina quality and likely never available to us in the first place.
That's probably true, but I think its fair to argue that a couple of his down years really hurt the team and their trajectory. Things lined up elsewhere in the lineup and all of a sudden he stunk, then vice versa. It was frustrating at times.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Mr. Anderson when he was on his game, especially in the playoffs:

CriminalEnormousChipmunk-size_restricted.gif

Instead of bullets, it was obviously pucks and he was probably the only goalie in Senators history I felt confident going into a playoff series that he would not let us down, and he never did.

Thank you Craig Anderson and good luck with your new team, as I still think you have a little more game left in you.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Craig Anderson had some ups and downs in Ottawa but he gave this franchise a stable #1 goalie for a long time.
Every goaltenders have some ups and downs, just look at Carey Price, Matt Murray, M-A Fleury. If Andy would have been our goalie instead of Patrick Lalime, we would have won at least one cup.

Reactions: variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad