GDT: Coyotes @ Wild "The Emergency Backup GDT" | 8.00 PM CST | FSN

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I officially think of TP whenever Yeo does those confusing line decisions.

Second line takes a shift and goalie holds it headed into the commercial break. Yeo starts the second line out of the break in the offensive zone. Why? Put your top line out there, who is rested, then get your second line out after that.

He does this with the third and fourth lines as well. Put your best players on the ice for offensive zone draws coming out of a commercial break. It's not that hard.

Also, Brodziak needs to be off that first PP unit and replaced with Setoguchi. That second PP unit is kind of dreadful. Can't wait until Butch is gone.

It's got to be hard to be a star player in free fall. Can't imagine what's going through his mind. Clearly it wasn't Ottawa or San Jose. Teams are winning without him, even the teams he is on. I see him sometimes trying to take the body but mostly just trying to keep up with the play. His legs are completely gone.
Only thing I can guess is that Yeo cares more about matching-up Wild forward lines with particular Wild defensive pairings and match-ups with the other team's lines than things like players energy or faceoff location.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
To be fair, he had to carry the team on his shoulders the 2nd half and had to play with AHL scrubs at times.
That's an excuse that doesn't hold water. What is the excuse this year when he is surrounded by talent?

The fact is his numbers reflect his career path and that is a downward slope for the past 5 or 6 years. He only had 26 goals in his last year with SJ, was he hampered with AHL scrubs there also?

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
eyeroll re: the money. Look--mostly irrelevant to his performance, as we didn't sign him but instead traded for him in order to get a different underperforming problem child (with a bad attitude here if you can believe Russo etc) out of town. you trade your 98 300z with a bent frame and no brakes for a 92 911 with a bent axle and bad tranny then complain when it doesn't work. looks sexier in the garage, at least.
I'm not going to say I thought we wouldn't be squeezing more out of Heatley this year--i did--but his role right now is different, and he is performing it reasonably well considering it's outside his job description. But the money thing matters not one little bit aside from buyout talk, where it is indeed extremely relevant. Of course he could be having the last laugh as we pay him, then he signs somewhere else for another couple million on a one year. he'd probably be okay with a buyout, actually.

edit: please figure this out--we knew what we were trading for. If anyone expected him to get back to his glory-year point totals we would have never been able to get him from San jose for ****ing Havlat. we could hope, yes, but no one was banking on it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Near as I can tell, nobody's pining for Havlat and nobody's blaming Heatley because of the money. We're calling it like it is, he can't skate much anymore and isn't much of a factor on the ice. He's not killing the Wild nor is he really helping all that much.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Near as I can tell, nobody's pining for Havlat and nobody's blaming Heatley because of the money. We're calling it like it is, he can't skate much anymore and isn't much of a factor on the ice. He's not killing the Wild nor is he really helping all that much.

you might want to re-read a bunch of stuff then because money/cap hit is brought up more often than not. not saying by you, but it is indeed brought up. edit: i bring up the Havlat trade to explain how he ended up on the roster. it isn't because he was a sought after Free Agent cure to all our woes like Parise and Suter.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
As a unit, the entire 3rd line sucks.

(+/-)
Heatley -11
Brodziak -10
Clutterbuck -5

It's becoming pretty apparent that Heatley's contract will be bought out after the season...and go with something like this next season:

Parise/Cullen - Koivu/Brodziak - Coyle/Zucker/Granlund
Zucker/Coyle - Cullen/Granlund - Setoguchi/Clutterbuck
Granlund/Brodziak/Larsson - Brodziak/Cullen - Clutterbuck/Cullen
Rupp/Dowell - Kenopka/Cullen - Mitchell/Veilleux

EDIT: Nevermind...I just end up twisting myself into pretzels trying to come up with future line combos.....

Last edited:

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
As a unit, the entire 3rd line sucks.

(+/-)
Heatley -11
Brodziak -10
Clutterbuck -5

It's becoming pretty apparent that Heatley's contract will be bought out after the season...and go with something like this next season:

Parise/Cullen - Koivu/Brodziak - Coyle/Zucker/Granlund
Zucker/Coyle - Cullen/Granlund - Setoguchi/Clutterbuck
Granlund/Brodziak/Larsson - Brodziak/Cullen - Clutterbuck/Cullen
Rupp/Dowell - Kenopka/Cullen - Mitchell/Veilleux

EDIT: Nevermind...I just end up twisting myself into pretzels trying to come up with future line combos.....

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Cullen - Setoguchi
Larsson - Granlund - Clutterbuck
Rupp - Konopka - Mitchell

Boom

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
Did anyone notice that they didnt play the Pitbull Bud Light commercial at all in the second period, and most of the third. They played it twice around the 5 minute mark, and we tie the game and win in overtime. Coincidence? I think not...

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN

That said... Do we pay him next year in the hopes that he'll re-sign with us beyond that for a much friendlier cap hit, or do we amnesty his contract and use that cap space differently?

Pros: He's been a great mentor to our prospects, and he's loved and well respected in the locker room. Additionally, he's tied for 3rd on this team in goals, so he's still got some production value left.

Cons: He's paid too much for his current production level. He has lost a step and judging by his =/-, he seems to be a defensive liability.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Did anyone notice that they didnt play the Pitbull Bud Light commercial at all in the second period, and most of the third. They played it twice around the 5 minute mark, and we tie the game and win in overtime. Coincidence? I think not...

When I watched the replay this morning it was one every single commercial break. I think twice on a few as well. I know, I know, it's the 2nd showing or whatever, but eh.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
That said... Do we pay him next year in the hopes that he'll re-sign with us beyond that for a much friendlier cap hit, or do we amnesty his contract and use that cap space differently?

Pros: He's been a great mentor to our prospects, and he's loved and well respected in the locker room. Additionally, he's tied for 3rd on this team in goals, so he's still got some production value left.

Cons: He's paid too much for his current production level. He has lost a step and judging by his =/-, he seems to be a defensive liability.

this has me thinking...could we amnesty buy him out to get rid of the cap hit then re-sign him for $2m?

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
He values hard working heart-and-soul players, no?

Yes he does. But I think he's rebuilding through the draft. Keks won't give away any first rounders for a seasoned vet. 2nds and 3rds yes but no 1sts.

E: He's known as a very smart scout.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle

Resign him beyond next season? What?

If this what 32 yr old Dany Heatley looks like i dont want to see the 34 or 35 yr old version.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad