GDT: Coyotes @ Wild "The Emergency Backup GDT" | 8.00 PM CST | FSN

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So is Backstrom hurt, or what? I've seen a couple mentions of someone else starting on Saturday, but no real reason why?

Not hurt....he just needs a rest. I think it's Friday that he'll rest and he should be in the net on Saturday vs the Kings.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Well the 4th line was great in the first so I don't question him too much on that. Konopka wins a majority of his faceoffs and they typically spend their time in the offensive zone.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Anyone else notice Heatley just kind of gliding around now? I am seriously debating if he just doesn't care anymore and is just going through the motions. I was fixated on him a couple times during the 1st and 3rd on their end and he just haphazardly skated around the net. Never in position. Had one decent chance at a 1-timer shot and whiffed.

HobeyBroten

Jul 12, 2012
I missed this game, but watched a bunch of the highlight videos. The one that really stands out to me is the Falk hit+fight. This guy has been on his game for the last 10 in my opinion. Destroys Moss with a hit, then fights him in a second after being challenge and puts him on the ground. I like this angrier Falk.

EDIT: Also, "Jump for Koi" on NHL.com. Really??

I agree, that was probably the most cheesy one I have seen in a long time. They should be able to come up with more clever titles....I can't think of one right now, but "7 in a Row for Yeo"....??

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Well the 4th line was great in the first so I don't question him too much on that. Konopka wins a majority of his faceoffs and they typically spend their time in the offensive zone.

They've also scored a few 1st goals for the team as well. Mitchell I know for a fact has 2, and should of had 3 if the Anaheim one stood.

We are running 4 lines with the only one that has looked very weak (IMO) being the 3rd line.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I agree, that was probably the most cheesy one I have seen in a long time. They should be able to come up with more clever titles....I can't think of one right now, but "7 in a Row for Yeo"....??

PA on KFAN used that one this morning right at the top of the hour "7 in Row for Mike Yeo" chant

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I thought Heatley had some amazing passes in the first. Either Brodz and Clutter couldn't handle them or they weren't ready for them. To be honest I thought he put forth a great effort, even skating wise.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I thought Heatley had some amazing passes in the first. Either Brodz and Clutter couldn't handle them or they weren't ready for them. To be honest I thought he put forth a great effort, even skating wise.

IDK if I'm just being overly critical of him now or what. I just didn't see it.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I officially think of TP whenever Yeo does those confusing line decisions.

Second line takes a shift and goalie holds it headed into the commercial break. Yeo starts the second line out of the break in the offensive zone. Why? Put your top line out there, who is rested, then get your second line out after that.

He does this with the third and fourth lines as well. Put your best players on the ice for offensive zone draws coming out of a commercial break. It's not that hard.

Also, Brodziak needs to be off that first PP unit and replaced with Setoguchi. That second PP unit is kind of dreadful. Can't wait until Butch is gone.

Anyone else notice Heatley just kind of gliding around now? I am seriously debating if he just doesn't care anymore and is just going through the motions. I was fixated on him a couple times during the 1st and 3rd on their end and he just haphazardly skated around the net. Never in position. Had one decent chance at a 1-timer shot and whiffed.

It's got to be hard to be a star player in free fall. Can't imagine what's going through his mind. Clearly it wasn't Ottawa or San Jose. Teams are winning without him, even the teams he is on. I see him sometimes trying to take the body but mostly just trying to keep up with the play. His legs are completely gone.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I thought Heatley has looked OK as of late. Had some decent scoring opportunities last night, and I even saw him turn on the jets a few times.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
It's sad to see Heatley decline like this. I can't imagine how good he would be if he could skate better. They guy has a howitzer of a shot, if only he could get in position to use it.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
lol you guys. need someone to dislike or **** just isn't fun.

edit: i mean, you realize that no one on that line is actually likely to make a play, right? Right? So...if he could get into position (which he is able to do, incidentally, if you pay attention) what would be the ****ing point of staying there. Complain about gliding around pointlessly without realizing it's only pointless because no one is getting him the puck. clap. clap.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
IDK if I'm just being overly critical of him now or what. I just didn't see it.

I'm with you in that I must have missed Heatley having a good game.

He did make a couple good passes, and a multitude of really really bad ones. He also was really weak on the puck most of the time, and just floated almost the whole game.

I liked Heatley at the beginning of the year, but I wanted someone on our team to just hit him this game.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
lol you guys. need someone to dislike or **** just isn't fun.

edit: i mean, you realize that no one on that line is actually likely to make a play, right? Right? So...if he could get into position (which he is able to do, incidentally, if you pay attention) what would be the ****ing point of staying there. Complain about gliding around pointlessly without realizing it's only pointless because no one is getting him the puck. clap. clap.

When you were one of the key pieces last year and were making something out of nothing to get goals , ya you should be able to generate something yourself. Parise certainly doesn't need anyone's help to get the puck while in the offensive zone from an opponent and get a SOG. Then again he also has a work ethic of a tiger out there. Heater requiring to have a top line centerman his entire career, or a capable wing partner, has shown many of us that he simply isn't worth (nor should have been) making 7.5 for as long as he has. He isn't on the boards, he isn't moving his feet, and he certainly isn't getting to his sweetspot to generate scoring chances. He sits on the back end and is just waiting for a garbage goal or juicy rebound.

As someone I work with said, it is like a "15" curse or something that you don't skate fast and just sit by the net.

Every team has a scapegoat. Just how the world turns.

Of course. Skoula, Sheppard, Zidlicky, Heatley, Suter.... it is always someone's fault ;)

I'm with you in that I must have missed Heatley having a good game.

He did make a couple good passes, and a multitude of really really bad ones. He also was really weak on the puck most of the time, and just floated almost the whole game.

I liked Heatley at the beginning of the year, but I wanted someone on our team to just hit him this game.

I honestly don't know what it is, but if I'm an opponent I'm not even concerned if he's on the ice. Its like having Randy Moss out there.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
I can't figure out if it's laziness for Heatley or he really is losing his talent. I also wonder if he feels he can be passive because he has talent around him now doing all the work. I don't know if he's pouting over losing that first line spot or what. I do know that his shot is still amazing and his passing is great, too. If he would only skate again and even play with 50% of the passion Parise has, he would be so much better.

Last edited:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Heatley has lost his legs as someone said. If you watch closely, sometimes he's not even skating. He tries to reach out the puck while stumbling on the ice. Sloppy puck-handling, turnovers, missed opportunities.

I'm not accusing him. I loved him last year. I'm not questioning his morale. He never was fast but he's lost his legs totally. It's sad.

Hopefully there's some kind of injury or hopefully they find a decent role for him. Hopefully everything works out. But it's hard to see him in any role next year. And I'd like to emphasize once more that I am a fan of Heatley.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I can't figure out if it's laziness for Heatley or he really is losing his talent. I also wonder if he feels he can be passive because he has talent around him now doing all the work. I don't know if he's pouting over losing that first line spot or what. I do know that his shot is still amazing and his passing is great, too. If he would only skate again and even play with 50% of the passion Parise has, he would be so much better.

If you're given the ****** job at work do you pout over it and expect understanding?

Say you're one of the veterans at your job, and are bringing in one of the largest paychecks.

I would expect you to be a professional and do your best damned job possible. If you're a veteran and deserve the good/more interesting assignments, prove it.

I don't think it matters what Heatley's reason for playing poorly is, all I know is that he is.

If you brought in 5+ mil a year, had a cap hit to a team of 7.5 mil, and were looked up to by your team to be a leader, I would hope there are true expectations of oneself that go with this.

What's worse is that he can turn it on at times, and show that he is capable of actually doing more.

If he's this tired of the game, he needs to retire.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Heatley is horrible but we are stuck with it until the off season when hopefully the right decision will be made and he gets bought out. There is just no way he will be sat down although he is deserving of it.

And for people who are talking about his stellar season last year please remember he had 24 goals.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Heatley is horrible but we are stuck with it until the off season when hopefully the right decision will be made and he gets bought out. There is just no way he will be sat down although he is deserving of it.

And for people who are talking about his stellar season last year please remember he had 24 goals.

To be fair, he had to carry the team on his shoulders the 2nd half and had to play with AHL scrubs at times.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Which was a team high as well IIRC. I respect the man and his talent, but if really wanted to stay on the topline he needs to earn it. Something he clearly isn't doing right now. Watch where he goes when he's on the ice. Right to the net on the left corner side. Maybe a screen here and there.

His linemates may not be the all stars he is used to being around, but Kyle and Clutter are amazing forecheckers and they are trying to feed it to him. From what I saw last night, he wouldn't even move outside of that lowside area unless he was forced to by the D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad