GDT: Coyotes @ Senators | Oct 24, 2015 | 7PM EST | CITY TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Any word on the nature of Lazar's injury? Not that it matters for the team, he's a guy who needs to sit anyways. In an ideal world he goes to Binghamton for a few weeks or months once healthy. Hopefully Puempel gets called up to take his spot.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Im really annoyed by Chiasson's lack of discipline but I wouldn't give up on him yet. He can still be a good 3rd liner. Needs to work on his consistency and defensive game.

we have enough 3rd liners though i think thats the main issue

if we had a proper top 6 i dont think anyone would care about chiassons consistency issues

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
...best players play?! Call-up Max McCormick had a decent preseason but had only 1pt in 5GP in Bingo. What about Eric O'Dell who had 5G, or Lindberg 5A, or Schneider 4pts, Puempel 4pts? IMO this sends wrong msg to Bingo & wastes talent in minors that could help
I don't think management really cares about points. As long as you're a good kid.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
we have enough 3rd liners though i think thats the main issue

if we had a proper top 6 i dont think anyone would care about chiassons consistency issues

Our top six is fine when healthy.

Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Stone, MacArthur, Ryan... All top-six forwards.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I really think lazar needs to be moved to center. His development is near top priority.

I've been saying this for quite some time, I think the team would benefit more from him as a 3rd line centre instead of Pageau. I doubt it happens this yr but if Pageau doesn't start producing soon it could happen next season at some point but Lazar also has to show some playmaking ability.

Why can't Ryan play every game like he did last night, why is it that players begin to play with the intensity we expect only when there backs are against the wall & they are receiving negative press because of it? Speaking of that, maybe more bad press would get Karlsson playing better, he continues to have another poor start to his season like last yr. When your highest paid players are playing crappy to start the season & the team is losing to teams they should beat, they are also leaving points on the board they might need at the end of the season to get them into the playoffs. Should be interesting to see what DC does with the lineup for the next big game.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I've been saying this for quite some time, I think the team would benefit more from him as a 3rd line centre instead of Pageau. I doubt it happens this yr but if Pageau doesn't start producing soon it could happen next season at some point but Lazar also has to show some playmaking ability.

Why can't Ryan play every game like he did last night, why is it that players begin to play with the intensity we expect only when there backs are against the wall & they are receiving negative press because of it? Speaking of that, maybe more bad press would get Karlsson playing better, he continues to have another poor start to his season like last yr. When your highest paid players are playing crappy to start the season & the team is losing to teams they should beat, they are also leaving points on the board they might need at the end of the season to get them into the playoffs. Should be interesting to see what DC does with the lineup for the next big game.
I'm a big pageau fan but his game is starting to suffer and he could be possibly getting worn down. I just doubt he's still third line center in 2 years time.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
This team feels too complacent sometimes. It showed in the 1st period. They turned it up a bit after they were down 1-0 though.

Sucks that we have to wait 4 days until our next game, but maybe that is a good thing?

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Our top six is fine when healthy.

Zibanejad, Turris, Hoffman, Stone, MacArthur, Ryan... All top-six forwards.

but only one and half top line forwards

HST is doing great dont get me wrong but we dont have that top end forward presence on our team, stone looks close and im hoping ryan recovers but we need another top end forward or two and if we look at it that way then we have way too many 3rd liners

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
but only one and half top line forwards

HST is doing great dont get me wrong but we dont have that top end forward presence on our team, stone looks close and im hoping ryan recovers but we need another top end forward or two and if we look at it that way then we have way too many 3rd liners

Not sure the Sens need anymore talented players that don't play all out every shift.

Its not the lack of talent that is creating all the angst, it a lack of effort and playing within the team structure.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Question.

Why is it that on the PP they have 2-3 forwards standing at the blue line, and usually 1-2 guys swinging back for a rush up the ice?

It works sometimes, but it's hardly effective. If those 2-3 forwards just swing back with the rest of the unit and all rush at the same time, it puts the PK unit on their heels and makes them disorganized.

I don't understand the logic behind having 2-3 forwards standing still at the blue line on zone entries. It works with deflecting pucks in, but it's effectiveness is far, far less from that of a full unit zone entry at full speed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
umbrella-passing-lanes.jpg

Its an umbrella formation on the PP. Can be quite effective. Not supposed to be at the blue line. but up higher top of cirles one on one side one on the other. The QB in the middle at the blueline. The two high guys should screen, be good at tips, and be good fore checkers with good retrieval skills. The two guys high on the wall need good hands, good passers and good shots. Karlsson s/b the perfect QB.

Question.

Why is it that on the PP they have 2-3 forwards standing at the blue line, and usually 1-2 guys swinging back for a rush up the ice?

It works sometimes, but it's hardly effective. If those 2-3 forwards just swing back with the rest of the unit and all rush at the same time, it puts the PK unit on their heels and makes them disorganized.

I don't understand the logic behind having 2-3 forwards standing still at the blue line on zone entries. It works with deflecting pucks in, but it's effectiveness is far, far less from that of a full unit zone entry at full speed.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Question.

Looks exactly like the 'Carry' Option on the NHL 15 powerplay.

I find it's good because it spreads the PKers out throughout the whole rink and you don't need to risk a shorthanded goal because of a miscue leaving your own end.

It also prevents the defense from changing because they can't risk leaving 2 guys at the blueline when you have EK able to make the 90ft pass to the opposing blueline.

I haven't found our zone entries to be a problem, it's more our possession in the o-zone on the PP. It's slow weak passes that allow the goalie and PKers to get in position.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be ok to give this one a pass due to the numerous injuries, but still the fact that Chiasson and McCormick played more than Prince is very annoying.

Chiasson is barely an NHLer IMO. Too many scrubs on this team, not enough talent.

You got to be wrong about having too many scrubs, as many bloggers have told us that the Senators have a great scouting staff! :sarcasm:

This is a bubble team or worse, unfortunately. The team GM has traded away its offensive talent (Fisher, Spezza) and got zilch in return so far.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Question.

I think the idea is to have the puck carrier come in with speed and be able to either drop it off to one of the options at the blue line, or carry it in unobstructed.

If the rusher can't gain an clean entrence by just carrying it across, he can either drop it off to someone on the blueline while driving deep to force the defender to follow him, or make a pass to one of the other two guys. He can also dump it and try to retreive it if they try and stand him up at the line.

I don't find zone entry has been a problem (missed the last game though). In fact, I don't mind our PP right now, though it could use MacArthur and Hoffman back in the lineup.

What I would like to see is more one timers with screens. Even if it isn't successful, it forces the PK to respond to the threat opening up other options, like a slap pass to the far side forward at the net.

From what I've seen, I'm more comfortable with the last 3 games than I was with the first 5 despite the results.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Yeah I won't even try to go on hfboards on the phone anymore. Im posting less and less because of it. Can't spend much time on my desktop or laptop anymore unless im working.

Irritating as hell

Glad i am not the only experiencing this, having studied marketing in school i know it goes against alot of the professional's in said industires line of thought but i feel over marketing/over advertising some products and services absolutely has the reverse effect that the company is likely looking for and drives people away. This has been and will continue to be an issue with the NHL as well going forward as they shoe horn ads onto anything and everything.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
umbrella-passing-lanes.jpg

Its an umbrella formation on the PP. Can be quite effective. Not supposed to be at the blue line. but up higher top of cirles one on one side one on the other. The QB in the middle at the blueline. The two high guys should screen, be good at tips, and be good fore checkers with good retrieval skills. The two guys high on the wall need good hands, good passers and good shots. Karlsson s/b the perfect QB.

While i undertsnad the logic I don't believe this team currently has the personel to pull off this PP strategy. It seems to end up in many telgraphed shots coming from low scoring areas from far out points. Would work out better if we had a forward or two who could get those rebounds and or deflect shots(again doesn't seem to be the case lately) Our passing is not fast nor crisp enough to take advantage of this tactic at this point in my eyes and a change is needed ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad