GDT: Coyotes @ Senators | Oct 24, 2015 | 7PM EST | CITY TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Cowen is partly responsible for the bad pass that led to goal...but so is Andy, who threw Cowen a last minute hand grenade pass after failing to move the puck quickly enuf from behind the net. IMO Andy's puck handling skills are over-rated...he should stay in the net and stop thinking he's Marty Brodeur.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
The injury to Lazar could have silver lining...I wanna see Puempel back up w Sens, which will give us another SPEEDY guy w good shot. Then put him on line w Pageau and Prince...Zoom!

Meanwhile (and this is best part) Lazar gets to rest for a bit, then goes down to Bingo for 10-15 games to rehabilitate / work on his offensive game (build some confidence on PP etc)

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
...best players play?! Call-up Max McCormick had a decent preseason but had only 1pt in 5GP in Bingo. What about Eric O'Dell who had 5G, or Lindberg 5A, or Schneider 4pts, Puempel 4pts? IMO this sends wrong msg to Bingo & wastes talent in minors that could help

Last edited:

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
...best players play?! Call-up Max McCormick had a decent preseason but had only 1pt in 5GP in Bingo. What about Eric O'Dell who had 5G, or Lindberg 5A, or Schneider 4pts, Puempel 4pts? IMO this sends wrong msg to Bingo & wastes talent in minors that could help

Hopefully the coach is not deciding who's playing the best by following the stat sheet. The message is probably "play the way we ask you to and don't expect points to earn you a spot on the NHL roster."

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Hopefully the coach is not deciding who's playing the best by following the stat sheet. The message is probably "play the way we ask you to and don't expect points to earn you a spot on the NHL roster."

I agree that scoring stats don't tell the whole picture, but they do give an indication of performance. Max was -4 in plus/minus, whereas other guys mentioned were all +4 or +5..,so that says something about relative defensive performance as well. Or we could ignore stats altogether and do call-ups based on alphabetical order or astrological signs ;)

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Cowen is partly responsible for the bad pass that led to goal...but so is Andy, who threw Cowen a last minute hand grenade pass after failing to move the puck quickly enuf from behind the net. IMO Andy's puck handling skills are over-rated...he should stay in the net and stop thinking he's Marty Brodeur.

Andy and Cowen were partly responsible, but so was Stone who had the puck deflect off his skate yet kept cruising on. Then Turris, who I believe the pass was intended for, hesitated in stopping to retrieve it and the puck ends up in the net.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Tough one to sit through that's for sure, hard to envision playoffs at all with the effort seen most of the season. Mediocre is death in this league and it seems we have been stuck in it for a long period at this point.

Side note any other mobile users being driven mad/away from the site due to the constant cibc pop up ads? Any fix for this as it had really turned me off from posting here, many times for me the ads simply won't close at all...

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
thats a fair point to make but look at the rest of our defence

cowen is playing like a #4 right now
ceci has been playing like a 5/6 at best recently
boro same thing as a 5/6
wier....LOL
wideman havent seen enough but as of right now seems like a bottom pairing defenceman for the recent future

who exactly is he supposed to have success with? then in terms of offence the guy still has a ppg while ottawa has only had 1 line going and that got hit by the injury bug. I mean i cant say their isnt any blame on karlsson since he is the captain and all but damn circumstances are crappy right now. If we had a semi decent number 3 i doubt karlsson would be holding back...but we dont even have that so i cant blame him for being extra cautious. You can look at tonight when he put some faith in his defensive partner we got scored on and you could tell he was extremely pissed about it
If anyone follows Karlsson on Instagram it's pretty clear he did 0 training in the offseason, like the guy was on a different continent and beach every week. That is what leads to a slow start to the season because he's out of shape. It's no ones fault but his own he simply isn't playing well enough. Boro has been more then fine, being asked to switch back and forth from left and right d, from Karlsson to Cowen is not easy.

Bobby Ryan is also out of shape, simple as that he was better last night but still has 0 confidence when shooting the puck missed a wide open net in the second period. Again another guy that just didn't give a **** in the offseason, which is sad when you're making 7 million a year.

freddy61

Selfie
Jun 6, 2013
Up a tree
If they needed a centre O'Dell might have been the call-up. I think they decided to bring up some jam so chose McCormick. Considering that with the injuries they had to juggle the skill on lines 1 to 3, I was just surprised that Cameron didn't play him on the 4th line. Cameron seems a bit hard headed about Prince as he was with Hoffman. Maybe they cheat a bit but MTL cheats all the time and it seems to pay off. Toeing a hard line is fine if it works but making every player on a line a checker first isn't working either. Weird!

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'd be ok to give this one a pass due to the numerous injuries, but still the fact that Chiasson and McCormick played more than Prince is very annoying.

Chiasson is barely an NHLer IMO. Too many scrubs on this team, not enough talent.

I think there is enough talent, problem is talent alone doesn't produce wins.

This group has a work ethic problem and has had for several years now, with the exception of an ~25 game span last season.

Does the team have depth in the top six or top 4 D? Simple answer is no, but then few teams do.

Has Cameron been too patient with a few of the players? Probably, but that doesn't explain the overall team performance.

This group has been outworked, out competed and out structured in almost every game early this season. There is no excuse, injuries or not.

It was for exactly this reason MacLean was fired, so I believe it is time Murray realized this isn't a coaching issue, it a player issue and shake up the room by making some moves.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If they needed a centre O'Dell might have been the call-up. I think they decided to bring up some jam so chose McCormick. Considering that with the injuries they had to juggle the skill on lines 1 to 3, I was just surprised that Cameron didn't play him on the 4th line. Cameron seems a bit hard headed about Prince as he was with Hoffman. Maybe they cheat a bit but MTL cheats all the time and it seems to pay off. Toeing a hard line is fine if it works but making every player on a line a checker first isn't working either. Weird!

I agree, but I believe Cameron's first priority is getting Lazar going offensively if possible. Obviously Prince is no higher than 7th in the pecking order behind Hoff, Stone, Ryan, MacArthur, Michalek and Lazar.

So that leaves the question, why not move Prince to the third line and McCormick debuts on the 4th line?

I believe Cameron partially answered that question when he said McCormick is a pest so I put him on the pest line.

What he didn't say, if I take Prince off the 4th line for McCormick then that leaves a line with a total lack of skill.

Last edited:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013

they coulda just played JGP more! Pesty w SKILL. IMO we need scoring (besides 1st line) more than pest. But I could be wrong. Still, I want Puempel ASAP

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
I agree, but I believe Cameron's first priority is getting Lazar going offensively if possible. Obviously Prince is no higher than 7th in the pecking order behind Hoff, Stone, Ryan, MacArthur, Michalek and Lazar.

So that leaves the question, why not move Prince to the third line and McCormick debuts on the 4th line?

I believe Cameron partially answered that question when he said McCormick is a pest so I put him on the pest line.

What he didn't say, if I take Prince off the 4th line for McCormick then that leaves a line with a total lack of skill.

I'm afraid Lazar is looking more and more like Greening...lotsa heat but no light

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well he is elite, but now he's not playing great. It's not about Methot, it's about having a legit partner who is up to the task. Someone who's a first pairing capable defender, we don't even have 2nd pairing capable defenders, what do you want him to do?

Look at Subban for example, look how great he is with Markov, put him with Boro, Weircioch etc. He won't be great either. We need help on defense, badly. Karlsson can be good with a capable defender.

Not sure how EK's partner can be blamed for his performance, surely nobody believes EK's lazy play against NJ resulting in a goal or him getting flat out skated past last night for a goal had anything whatsoever to do with his partner.

EK isn't playing well, I don't believe he is in game shape simply because he is showing little of his explosiveness or speed.

The problem isn't all his that is for sure.

Overall the team isn't competing hard enough and definitely not playing structured hockey.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'm afraid Lazar is looking more and more like Greening...lotsa heat but no light

I can see why you would think that, but I don't fully agree.

Lazar is a natural center being converted to the wing and the primary reason he wasn't sent back to junior or the AHL was he is so responsible defensively, not his offensive production.

I have attended a few practices and Lazar does put the puck in the net regularly.

This obviously leads management/coaches to believe it is only a matter of time until he breaks out, so they hand him the opportunities to do so.

However I believe it is a mistaken hope on their part.

If the Sens' want Lazar to become productive offensively I believe the best way to achieve that end is send him to the AHL.

It seems to me that having him on the third line with two other young players that play predominantly an energy role isn't the solution.

Lazar needs to develop his offensive skills in an environment more conducive to learning than producing.

He will not get that chance playing in Ottawa, at least for the foreseeable future.

IMO he currently is behind Hoff, Stone, Turris, Zib, Ryan, MacArthur, and Michalek of the current regulars.

I also believe there is a strong possibility players like Prince and Puempel will pass Lazar as offensive players in the near future.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Side note any other mobile users being driven mad/away from the site due to the constant cibc pop up ads? Any fix for this as it had really turned me off from posting here, many times for me the ads simply won't close at all...

Yes, the mobile site is terrible. The CIBC ad, then the Guiness Blonde banner ad you accidentally hover over and hear the same obnoxious sounds each time before you close it. Only saviour for me is that I use a blackberry so I can better control the pointer to hit the little x.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yes, the mobile site is terrible. The CIBC ad, then the Guiness Blonde banner ad you accidentally hover over and hear the same obnoxious sounds each time before you close it. Only saviour for me is that I use a blackberry so I can better control the pointer to hit the little x.

Yeah I won't even try to go on hfboards on the phone anymore. Im posting less and less because of it. Can't spend much time on my desktop or laptop anymore unless im working.

Irritating as hell

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Yeah I won't even try to go on hfboards on the phone anymore. Im posting less and less because of it. Can't spend much time on my desktop or laptop anymore unless im working.

Irritating as hell

This will sound kinda bad, but I'm happy to hear that.

The last few games with 15-20 page GDTs (including pregame threads) were starting to get a bit depressing. It's nice to see it wasn't necessarily a Sens-related reason why some folks had stayed away.

Now HF really has to get their act together and fix this thing. I want to see the whole family back in here and posting again!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Firefox app + a certain extension within Firefox will solve a lot of peoples phone problems.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Firefox app + a certain extension within Firefox will solve a lot of peoples phone problems.

INteresting. I tried getting certain extensions for android a while back but they didn't work. I'll have to look into it again.

Thanks!

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Are we watching the same player? What part of Chiasson's game screams power forward? He had a mediocre season last year at best. He did so well last season that he slowly bottomed out as a fourth line player and got scratched in the playoffs. His only good games came early in the season. I'm sorry, but I don't see it.

He's a young player that could have spent a little more time in the AHL.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We don't watch the same player. Chiassom can't skate thats his biggest problem.

Go in the Dallas thread of Chiasson, he was good for 10 games and thats it. People in Dallas we're happy to get rid of him. He's one of the worst players on this team, along with Greening.

Chiasson is nowhere near the worst player on this team. If he played as badly as Greening, he would have been put on waivers. Chiasson simply needs to find consistency. This season will be a defining moment for him. I will take the wait and see approach. 25years is when the brain finally fully develops and it is a lot easier for a human being or athlete to put all of their abilities together.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Im really annoyed by Chiasson's lack of discipline but I wouldn't give up on him yet. He can still be a good 3rd liner. Needs to work on his consistency and defensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad