Coyotes Rookies Camp Sept. 7th (Tournament 9th-12th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
btw...is Strome still considered a rookie? I ask because I haven't seen a single hockey pundit mention his name as a possible Calder candidate. I'm hoping it's because he doesn't qualify rather than the hockey world just having that little faith in his ability to contend for the honor.
Yes still a rookie. Only played in 7 NHL games last season.

smoot

Jul 13, 2017
I was there. They paired Strome and Keller for all the 2F drills and ran Fischer-Strome-Keller for all the 3F drills. They were fairly dominant together, as is to be expected. Keller is exciting, he made things happen every time he touched a puck but no one was really playing the body hard. Fischer and Wood seemed like men among boys.

Strome still looks pretty slow, he was chasing on the backcheck quite a bit. You could really feel his hockey sense on some of the breakout drills though.

I thought PO looked good for his first camp. Garland actually passed a few times, so that was interesting to see. Miska was much more active than Hill, I'm not sure if that is good or not but he was fun to watch.

The bleachers were full and people were standing along the boards and behind the bleachers. A lot of people had their phones out recording, you'd think some videos would make their way online.

I ran into Chayka and lost my ability to speak for a second, it's sort of weird he really does make people swoon. The mancrush effect is real.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
That is a major red flag to me. Let's hope this does not turn into Kyle Turris 2.0. Same draft position too, ouch that hurts.

This is only the first half what he said, the 2nd half sort of pulls up from the potential nose dive.

"Dave Tippett told me last year I was good enough to play in the NHL but I wasn't good enough to play every day yet. So it was about working to get a little better and a little stronger everyday at practice. And hopefully this year I can prove that I'm ready to play everyday."

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is only the first half what he said, the 2nd half sort of pulls up from the potential nose dive.

"Dave Tippett told me last year I was good enough to play in the NHL but I wasn't good enough to play every day yet. So it was about working to get a little better and a little stronger everyday at practice. And hopefully this year I can prove that I'm ready to play everyday."

They didn't get the video up until today. I just watched. Definitely less cringy in video.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it

They didn't get the video up until today. I just watched. Definitely less cringy in video.

Same here, much better in context. #fakenews.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yes still a rookie. Only played in 7 NHL games last season.

Crazy that no one seems to even mention his name, not even as a dark horse, when it comes to a shot at the Calder. I hope he proves them all wrong but chance are it's going to take him a few years to really blossom.

That completely changes the context!

Same here, much better in context. #fakenews.

You know it's getting pretty sad when even hockey news is pulling this kind of ****.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
btw...is Strome still considered a rookie? I ask because I haven't seen a single hockey pundit mention his name as a possible Calder candidate. I'm hoping it's because he doesn't qualify rather than the hockey world just having that little faith in his ability to contend for the honor.

Based on age (20) and professional games played [NHL only - (7)] he should be eligible.

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. Beginning in 1990-91, to be eligible for this award a player must not have attained his twenty-sixth birthday by September 15th of the season in which he is eligible.

from the NHL website

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Keller

I liked his video - His goals are to be a star in this league. He's confident in himself... Not just looking to make this team but to be a star in this league. I like it...

I hope Strome does well. I think Tocchet might be good for him. He wants him to play his game. I think he might of had a different message on how to play or to play it safe... I think that was Tippets style. I think Duclair suffered from the same. Too worried about making mistakes, knowing you were going to be punished if you were a young player and you made mistakes.

Looking forward to a new style of play - hopefully more exciting and more successful in the long run.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I was there. They paired Strome and Keller for all the 2F drills and ran Fischer-Strome-Keller for all the 3F drills. They were fairly dominant together, as is to be expected. Keller is exciting, he made things happen every time he touched a puck but no one was really playing the body hard. Fischer and Wood seemed like men among boys.

Strome still looks pretty slow, he was chasing on the backcheck quite a bit. You could really feel his hockey sense on some of the breakout drills though.

I thought PO looked good for his first camp. Garland actually passed a few times, so that was interesting to see. Miska was much more active than Hill, I'm not sure if that is good or not but he was fun to watch.

The bleachers were full and people were standing along the boards and behind the bleachers. A lot of people had their phones out recording, you'd think some videos would make their way online.

I ran into Chayka and lost my ability to speak for a second, it's sort of weird he really does make people swoon. The mancrush effect is real.

Thanks for the report.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Anybody have info on the stream for the rookie tournament? I couldn't find it on the new Coyotes website.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I highly recommend everyone listen to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast featuring Charlie McAvoy. There's only a few minutes wherein he talks about Keller but it's really insightful. Especially when you see videos like that where Keller comes off as big headed. It's interesting to hear an ex teammates perspective on Keller's very unique personality and approach. I think this season he's going to start catching a lot of heat based on interviews and how he carries himself. It's going to run some people the wrong way. His teammates seem to like it though. As do hockey execs. Fans will get ruffled though. I thought he was your typical aw shucks guy. He's not.

It's an annoying show, especially if you're like me and find the Boston brogue to be highly grating. But the level of candor among current and former players in their interviews is stunning. There are three Bissonnette interviews I highly recommend. The Yandle episode is required listening as well. Both Mike Commodore interviews are great. Same for the Colby Armstrong episode.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I highly recommend everyone listen to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast featuring Charlie McAvoy. There's only a few minutes wherein he talks about Keller but it's really insightful. Especially when you see videos like that where Keller comes off as big headed. It's interesting to hear an ex teammates perspective on Keller's very unique personality and approach. .

I agree. I don't mind the rawness, they are entertaining...always.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I highly recommend everyone listen to the Spittin' Chiclets podcast featuring Charlie McAvoy. There's only a few minutes wherein he talks about Keller but it's really insightful.

~29min if anyone is interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad