Coyotes Rookies Camp Sept. 7th (Tournament 9th-12th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
I don't see a Jalen Smereck on the list that immediately stands out as a really interesting player. If I recall correctly, we were excited for Smereck before he played a game for us.

The only one I see is Coulter...good numbers the past two years.

Rookie camp invites:

D - Anthony Demeo, Sault Ste. Marie OHL
>Too small and a LHS.

LW - Tyler Coulter, Brandon WHL
> Might be a good option; too bad he's a LHS

C - Max Gerlach, Medicine Hat WHL
>Too small as well, but at least he's a RHS that we could move to RW if he shines

C - Cordell James, Owen Sound OHL
>I'd pass on him as a LHS unless he does really well

LW - Adam Marsh, Charlottestown QMJHL (unsigned 2015 pick by Detroit)
>Another small 'un and LHS

C - James Phelan, Victoriaville QMJHL
Might be okay (for Tucson) but would definitely have to step up to the challenge

C - Matthew Philip, Niagara OHL
>Small LHS and doesn't seem offensively gifted

LW - Jeff Truchon-Viel, Acadie-Bathurst QMJHL
>okay-sized LHS that might be worth a gander

LW - Hayden Verbeek (Pat's nephew), Sault Ste. Marie OHL
>Hope he has fun while visiting the Coyotes during rookie camp :)

Accurate

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
That's about as good as a rookie tournament team could be. Should destroy the competition. Will be fun to watch.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I wonder if this will be streamed plus archived so we can watch it later. I may not be able to watch live.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In one of the little puff piece videos on the Coyotes youtube page they had Tocchet saying the practices in general will be on the shorter end and more intense.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
In one of the little puff piece videos on the Coyotes youtube page they had Tocchet saying the practices in general will be on the shorter end and more intense.

He kept his word, it ended well before 345. They had some nice pick battle drills though, so yeah seems like the intensity was there.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Strome, whom Arizona drafted third overall in 2015, also worked hard this summer, especially with Skating Coach Dawn Braid, to prepare for training camp. He played seven games for the Coyotes in 2016-17 before going back to his junior team. This is his third NHL rookie/training camp.

"I felt like the past two years I've had great camps and then come the seventh preseason game, you have a little slip up in a game," he said. "My first year, I got sent back and I felt like that was one of the main reasons. Last year, I felt like I didn't start the regular season because of it."
https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/rookies-looking-to-impress-new-coaches/c-290920698

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't really remember thinking Strome's camp in 2015 was all that good.

I thought last season by eye test he was just okay in camp and that's kinda how Strome tends to look even when he's good :laugh:.

So because he put up numbers last year I figured he was playing well enough as that's the hallmark of his junior career.

In any case it's pretty hard to gauge when all you have to go on is 1 or 2 home games, maybe a practice, and a bunch of radio broadcasts :laugh:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
How refreshing is this.

Excited to see how he turns out as a coach, but man he oozes personality at the very least.

References Spezza while talking about Strome too.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'll miss Dave Tippett ranting about how they just practiced something in practice and they still suck while he exudes frustration and ire after he plays Kennedy as our top center.

But the new positivity and enthusiasm angle is nice, too, I guess.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
1. Watch Strome's move with his foot at 3:00

2. Those sweater's are great; the circle logo really

3. RT caring about and watching for how these kid's treat the staff is very cool

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I think the actuality of it is that you earn your spot on the roster. Yes, mistakes can be made, but it wasn't just a mistake here or there for Strome. It is also about having the mental makeup and physical abilities to make it.

Honestly, it sounds like a guy who was expecting to make it b/c of his draft pedigree and hopefully it was a wake up call last year that you can't rely on what got you to that level and you now have to continue to improve your game not just to make the team, but to keep pace against the other players who are also competing for your job.

Feb 12, 2003
Strome, whom Arizona drafted third overall in 2015, also worked hard this summer, especially with Skating Coach Dawn Braid, to prepare for training camp. He played seven games for the Coyotes in 2016-17 before going back to his junior team. This is his third NHL rookie/training camp.

"I felt like the past two years I've had great camps and then come the seventh preseason game, you have a little slip up in a game," he said. "My first year, I got sent back and I felt like that was one of the main reasons. Last year, I felt like I didn't start the regular season because of it."

https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/rookies-looking-to-impress-new-coaches/c-290920698
That is a major red flag to me. Let's hope this does not turn into Kyle Turris 2.0. Same draft position too, ouch that hurts.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The good news is that the guy who put him out in 3v3 OT with Doan after a few games of scratching and then talked about him chasing the puck and returned him to Erie the next game was fired.

Thank goodness this guy is here:
New Coach said:
"I don't' want him to come in and think we're going to stick him on the checking line and play three minutes a game. If he's going to make our team, we've got to play him and let him be creative with the puck ... I want him to be able to hang on the puck and make plays. I don't want him to all of sudden try to be a checker or a guy who just keeps dumping the puck in because he's nervous or whatever. I want him to make plays."*

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Yeah I'm not too thrilled with Dylan Strome's comments either. Sounds pretty bitter. I mean I can understand why, but I think he may be developing a sour taste in his mouth for Arizona.

Based on Toc's comments yesterday, about watching how the kids act, I can't see how those comment' benefit him.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah I'm not too thrilled with Dylan Strome's comments either. Sounds pretty bitter. I mean I can understand why, but I think he may be developing a sour taste in his mouth for Arizona.
It's a little sour grapey for sure and makes him sound a bit immature. Oh well it's water under the bridge at this point. It sounds like Tocchet is going to give him every chance to succeed so it's up to him to take this opportunity and run with it.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
btw...is Strome still considered a rookie? I ask because I haven't seen a single hockey pundit mention his name as a possible Calder candidate. I'm hoping it's because he doesn't qualify rather than the hockey world just having that little faith in his ability to contend for the honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad