Confirmed with Link: Coyotes claim Connor Ingram off of waivers from Nashville

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If he shows something I wonder if we are less inclined to get a goalie in the Chychrun return.
I think that’s a fair takeaway. I also think with Valimaki acquisition we may be moving towards draft picks as the main return and less emphasis on positional need when it comes to the top prospect.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The bar is set pretty low with out goalie situation. Don't think this moves the bar much, but it would be nice if he became a Kuemper like project.
“Like” is a good way to put it (I guess), because (in comparison) Kuemper wasn’t even a project.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I meant that his play will surprise us. I for one did not think Kuemper would turn into what he did.
I honestly wasn’t surprised, I really liked what I saw from him when he was with Minnesota. One of two times this blind squirrel found a nut (re: goalies), the other was Anderson back in his Florida days.

Reactions: Jakey53

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
There must be more to the story. How does an AHL all-star get sent down to the ECHL? He had a 14-7-0 record, a .922 save percentage, and a 2.26 GAA when demoted. I couldn't find anything suggesting it was for rehabilitation.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There must be more to the story. How does an AHL all-star get sent down to the ECHL? He had a 14-7-0 record, a .922 save percentage, and a 2.26 GAA when demoted. I couldn't find anything suggesting it was for rehabilitation.

There is more to the story. Some is known, some isn’t. Ingram demanded the demotion, more or less. He had an emotional conversation with his coach about a lack of starts after an “internal matter”. It’s clear things were heated and he more or less said he was done with the team and he’d rather play in the ECHL than sit in the AHL.

Despite Andre Tourigny being best buds with Benoit Groulx and Plandowski being tight with Briesebois, the Coyotes brought him in. So I think there must be some level of understanding and forgiveness from the Tampa organization.

Ingram has had a history of being cut, scratched, passed over and demoted despite consistently excellent results. He eventually checked himself into the player assistance program. Later cited uncontrolled OCD.

Ingram is hilarious. And very unique. Not the typical hockey player. It seems that he’s put some of those issues behind him. And I guess the waiver claim must be a sign that TB holds no grudges. AZ is connected to that org and wouldn’t have claimed him if they got negative reports.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What's interesting about this success story is that we all wanted to take a shot at it. For a couple years even. He wasn't an older rehab project or a kid with potential and poor results. He was a kid with potential and good results. We were lucky to be early in the waiver order and to also have a need for a goalie.

Our other goalie success stories came from much less obvious places.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Didn’t he clear waivers the off-season before we claimed him? I believe many of us were clamoring for him then. About 12mo before we finally claimed him.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
We were lucky to be early in the waiver order and to also have a need for a goalie.
Am I mis-remembering this? Or did we all spend the summer of 22 kinda hoping we'd re-sign Wedgewood and wondering why BA wasn't signing ANYONE?

Coming off a season where Hutton failed and Prosvetov did nothing and we even stole TOR's Harri Sateri signing and watched him do nothing, I strongly suspect BA just held pat (not like we were going to make any meaningful UFA signings right before moving into the Mullett) knowing that someone's 2B / tweener goalie would be available on the eve of the season starting.

I don't think he was lucky -- I think we looked at depth charts around the league and had our sights set on a couple guys and that Ingram was one of them.

Reactions: sundance74

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Didn’t he clear waivers the off-season before we claimed him? I believe many of us were clamoring for him then. About 12mo before we finally claimed him.
Isn't he diagnosed with OCD?
That TB trade him to Nashville for a 7th round pick because they couldn't handle it and he was getting close to being waiver-exempt too?

People diagnosed with OCD tend to be moody but are super focused, which, IMO, is good for a goalie. You can deal with the mood swings as long as you don't interrupt the compulsions and know the routines.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Isn't he diagnosed with OCD?
That TB trade him to Nashville for a 7th round pick because they couldn't handle it and he was getting close to being waiver-exempt too?

People diagnosed with OCD tend to be moody but are super focused, which, IMO, is good for a goalie. You can deal with the mood swings as long as you don't interrupt the compulsions and know the routines.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
There was an inspector where I worked in aerospace before I retired that had OCD. He could find defects that most wouldn't without taking extra time and equipment. And he did it at a frequency equivalent to at least 3 to 4 other inspectors and did final inspection also. Nice guy but when he got into one of his moods (usually when dealing with management about overtime) it was best to stay away. He rode a bike to and from work everyday about 5 miles each way. I remember when someone disrupted his routine (didn't realize he had OCD) and he was at a lost, got on his bike and just left with that far away look in his eyes. And a few times when his daughter had to come and get him in a van. But man did he make the company money and he was rewarded for it...

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Yeah. That's what I was referring to.
What's interesting about this success story is that we all wanted to take a shot at it. For a couple years even.

I don't think Bill passed on Ingram in 2021 because of a fear of the OCD or doubt that Ingram could help the Coyotes. I think he passed on him either because he was focused on the tank or maybe GMs knew that Ingram was on a mental health journey and let him focus on that without moving to a new team and city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad