Post-Game Talk: Coyotes at Rangers - October 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is literally absurd. You honestly think AV is selecting a strategy to sabotage his own team?!?!?

NHL coaches routinely play players they can trust. They are all win now coaches. Wins keep them around. Wins make the players happy. Wins make the fans happy. Wins make the owners happy. Wins make future employers happy. You get the point.

I don't get the mentality of, "let's play younger players to see what they have." The NHL coaching staff is around the team constantly and watching them in practice and their attitude and all. We just watch the games and, for the most part, largely over estimate things like "potential" or "upside" and dramatically criticize veterans for "being too slow" or "lacking drive." What this mindset does in fans is it makes you long for the unknown( to you but not the coach) often just for the sake of "well he may be better." The truth is, the younger rookie is rarely better than the experienced veteran, unless he is truly a remarkable talent.

I'm fine with AV's lineup. The Rangers could be undefeated, as AV correctly said recently, as they have outplayed every team they have faced so far!

Trust is the issue.

Clendening has had moments where he's coughed up the puck. Washinton game in particular resulted in a goal against.

Adam is a guy that can't be out there protecting leads, that's why his minutes drop. Physical pressure has historical proven to be demonizing for him. Hasn't been the case in NY. He's fit in nicely in that Justin Shultz role on this team.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Trust is the issue.

Clendening has had moments where he's coughed up the puck. Washinton game in particular resulted in a goal against.

Adam is a guy that can't be out there protecting leads, that's why his minutes drop. Physical pressure has historical proven to be demonizing for him. Hasn't been the case in NY. He's fit in nicely in that Justin Shultz role on this team.

But Girardi and Holden on his off side don't give the puck away?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Except Girardi hasn't been good lately. There's a reason to not play a guy that's not good. You want AV to be loyal to a Girardi that we haven't seen since like 13-14 at the earliest. He hasn't earned **** lately.

He's also racked up an incredible amount of mileage as a Ranger and I'm not surprised he's slowed down. I'm just saying that his play of late has not earned him a removal from the lineup so it's very hard to take him out of your the coach. Not taking Girardi out of the lineup does not make AV stupid- it makes him human and after all, there are actual people we are talking about here!

Now if Girardi starts to play awful and seems unable to keep up the play required of an NHL player, than I'm thrilled to have a player like Adam Clendening to come in and another possibility of Dylan. This is why the Rangers have a real good shot this year. They have depth in key spots and that's a real good option for a coach to have-- but once the time is right and now is not that time!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's also racked up an incredible amount of mileage as a Ranger and I'm not surprised he's slowed down. I'm just saying that his play of late has not earned him a removal from the lineup so it's very hard to take him out of your the coach. Not taking Girardi out of the lineup does not make AV stupid- it makes him human and after all, there are actual people we are talking about here!

Now if Girardi starts to play awful and seems unable to keep up the play required of an NHL player, than I'm thrilled to have a player like Adam Clendening to come in and another possibility of Dylan. This is why the Rangers have a real good shot this year. They have depth in key spots and that's a real good option for a coach to have-- but once the time is right and now is not that time!

But the other teams won't give him a break because he's been such a "warrior" and just slowed down. We have games to win.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We all knew Pirri has his flaws. If all his assets were as good as his ability to shoot the puck, he would make 7m a year. But despite that, he already has 2 goals early in the season, could have scored more and has shown in the past he can score 20 in a season.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
We all knew Pirri has his flaws. If all his assets were as good as his ability to shoot the puck, he would make 7m a year. But despite that, he already has 2 goals early in the season, could have scored more and has shown in the past he can score 20 in a season.

IMO Pirri has done enough to stay in the line up but once Butchie starts getting closer Coaches have one hell of a decision to make

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Now if Girardi starts to play awful and seems unable to keep up the play required of an NHL player, than I'm thrilled to have a player like Adam Clendening to come in and another possibility of Dylan
. This is why the Rangers have a real good shot this year. They have depth in key spots and that's a real good option for a coach to have-- but once the time is right and now is not that time!

If he starts to play awful? He has been awful for 1,5 years now.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

He also plays on the 4th line. If he scores 15+ on the 4th line it will be huge for us! If he gets more icetime he can easily score 20+. Scored 22 in 49 games two seasons ago.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think Lindberg should be the odd man out, frankly. Him or Fast.

Both should be sent to a team desperate for bottom 6 forward depth. Boston, Chicago, etc

Good points and I agree. I love Lindberg and have always been a fan of Fast, defending him when he was heavily criticised last year. However, they are too valuable to waive, since they will be picked up easily. With their cost-controlled contracts, they are very good targets for a trade. A low pick or a prospect who is waiver exempt would do the trick.

Fast for Pokka (Chicago) is a proposal I have seen several times and that just looks to benefit both teams.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
If he starts to play awful? He has been awful for 1,5 years now.

He has not been awful. Awful is Wade Redden from the early to mid 2000's.

This is such a "what have you done for lately" board now. People have little to no respect for anyone. Girardi has slowed down, no one could argue otherwise, but I'm not convinced he is shot as a Ranger.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He has not been awful. Awful is Wade Redden from the early to mid 2000's.

This is such a "what have you done for lately" board now. People have little to no respect for anyone. Girardi has slowed down, no one could argue otherwise, but I'm not convinced he is shot as a Ranger.

Girardi hasn't been good for four years. It's not "what have you done for me lately", it's reality.

I'm... Okay with Girardi in a third pairing role for now. Still would rather see Clendo in.

Also, I think you mean late 2000s with Redden because he was one of the top defenseman in the league up until his last season in Ottawa.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
lol when Redden was one of the best D in the league? are you serious?

Sorry got my years mixed up. I meant Wade Redden in the early 2010's. You are right, he was great before coming to the Rangers.:D

And just to add more about Girardi. I was looking at his stats recently. Did you know that his best plus minus year ever was....last year? I'm not indicating that these means Dan's best year was last year. What I'm illustrating is I believe that hints that AV is using him differently ( also supported by a 5 minute per game reduction in average time on ice compared to his prime.) If he can be a plus 18 as he was last year, playing reduced minutes, then I'll sign up for that right now. We all were saying how much he slowed down last year( and rightfully so the guy has played 5 seasons without missing a game and 2 others where he played 80 and 81 games respectively) and he was still able to produce a decent season stat wise. He's not a 6 million a year defensemen anymore but he is a serviceable defensmen in the league.

Last edited:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So today is practice. We'll get to see updates on Kreider/Buch. Will be interesting to see if they are both ready to go...

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Trust is the issue.

I'll give this a go, the Washington game

That Clendening play on the first goal is made by Girardi, Holden, Staal, all of them often. He was under pressure and threw the puck up the boards. It's not a good play but it happens.

He probably could have made a better play to Grabner there, just like he did later on for the Rangers first goal where he moved it from the defensive corner to Miller who was able to go up ice to pass to Pirri. Not the most difficult play but one Girardi, Staal, have trouble making.

On the PP, the first Vesey goal, Clendening making a tape to tape cross ice pass that sets that play up, not the most difficult pass to make but he makes a good one.

That is the good and bad of Clendening, which is no worse than the good and bad of the other defenders.

Check out some of the Caps chances after,

3:22 Kuznetsov splits Holden and McD
4:05 McD/Holden trying to contain, both behind the goal line
4:15 Clendening breaking up a scoring chance after some of his mates loses a board battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Jk58EI-KQ

Not trying to say the kid is an all star but he was directly involved in 3 goals that game, 2 for the Rangers and 1 for the Caps.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
I disagree with that :)

I could agree that he would not be shot as a Ranger, he is still a serviceable defenseman in small doses.. but his contract and his usage is normally as a top 2 defenseman. And in that context, he really *is* shot.

Put him on the third pairing and let him play 12 minutes per game, and he would be fine. But on the first (or sometimes second) pairing and usually playing 20+, not so much anymore.

Well, in my opinion anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad