Confirmed with Link: Coyotes and Scripps Sports agree to a 4-year deal to broadcast Coyotes games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
I've tried everything but a permanent outdoor antenna to get the broadcast where I am and no dice. So I can't watch games until they get the streaming option together, because the only way I can get the games right now is I'd have to pay 100 bucks a month for Cox in order to get one channel and no way am I doing that.
How far are you from Phoenix? I live way west and get 15.2 with our antenna.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
How far are you from Phoenix? I live way west and get 15.2 with our antenna.
What's weird for me is I live in Chandler, and I get most area stations fine (3,5,15,39,45,51,61) with a $10 antenna, but I don't get 10 or 12, like at all. (In my situation I moved my second large-ish tv back into the living room next to the primary, so I don't have to constantly switch from satellite/streaming to antenna during the ad-filled coyote OTA broadcasts :mad: )

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What's weird for me is I live in Chandler, and I get most area stations fine (3,5,15,39,45,51,61) with a $10 antenna, but I don't get 10 or 12, like at all. (In my situation I moved my second large-ish tv back into the living room next to the primary, so I don't have to constantly switch from satellite/streaming to antenna during the ad-filled coyote OTA broadcasts :mad: )
Clunkier than shit ain't it? Streaming to satellite was bad enough!

Coyotes19c

Jul 27, 2021
Interesting. I’m in buckeye and was getting most of the channels but would cut in and out randomly. I moved the antenna to the 2nd floor and bought tablo. It’s been great as of now.

My antenna I think was like 50 bucks? I wanted to make sure I could watch the coyote games. We tried several years ago to get local tv and got zero channels with a much cheaper antenna.

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
In spite the lack of a streaming solution..... Scripps seems happy so far.

"In Las Vegas, the Golden Knights have more than doubled their local ratings so far this season compared to last. And in Phoenix, the Arizona Coyotes' ratings have increased a whopping 900% of from their RSN distribution last year. The equation is simple. More audience reach generates higher ratings to deliver Scripps significant new revenue right now, primarily through incremental and meaningful core advertising revenue growth and higher distribution revenue for the independent stations on which they air."

In fairness to context.... Coyotes ratings were and have been horrible. But it's a step in the right direction.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
For the Tablo fans out there....... from the same article linked above.

Last year, our marketing campaigns drove up to a 30% increase in digital antenna sales as reported by the antenna makers we work with. But we still recognize the need to solve some of the challenges consumers face with digital antennas. And we saw an opportunity to revolutionize the free TV experience especially at this time of rapidly rising streaming costs and relative indifference to the pay TV bundle.
That's why in August, we relaunched Tablo, an over-the-air TV device that aggregates OTA and connected TV FAST channels with a DVR in a modern user experience that appeals to Gen Z as much as baby boomers. It allows you to stream and watch OTA on any TV, phone or tablet in your house through an app. For the new Tablo consumer, it's a onetime cost, can be purchased bundled with or without a digital antenna and today has no subscription fees.
Tablo owners get free premium network and FAST channel programming, every local NFL game and all of the live professional and college sports on broadcast. In the 2 months since the soft launch, we are seeing very enthusiastic consumer and media reviews. People have a real passion for this product. Sales have been brisk through our retail partners, Amazon, Best Buy and directly at tablotv.com. Just this week, Tablo was live on the Home Shopping Network and sold out minutes. Soon it will be sold on walmart.com. We're launching the marketing campaign in earnest this quarter and expect to share more metrics on future calls. For now, what's important to know is that Tablo will grow TV viewing over the year, especially for live sports, so we can turn more eyeballs into ad dollars.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It's funny, I keep hearing about "more audience reach" at the same time I hear about you all jumping through a lot of hoops and buying new equipment to be able to watch the games. I don't get it, sounds like conflicting information to me but I don't know diddly squat on the topic.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's funny, I keep hearing about "more audience reach" at the same time I hear about you all jumping through a lot of hoops and buying new equipment to be able to watch the games. I don't get it, sounds like conflicting information to me but I don't know diddly squat on the topic.

The long and short of it is that the equipment buy is a one-time, fixed cost, and then it goes away and you're left with free and clear HD-quality TV on dozens of local channels for a grand total of $0 per month. Setting up the antenna and the Tablo/AirTV is a matter of 10 minutes' work. It's just that everyone's conditioned these days to getting everything from a coax cable or a 5G cell signal, so when we have to go old-school like this, it's a bit jarring.

The only people who are really missing out are people like me who live in a neighborhood whose geography blocks the TV signals - but my unfortunate demographic is vanishingly small.

Compared with the last couple of years, when Bally Sports was dropped by the biggest streamers (YouTube TV, Hulu w/Live TV, Sling, etc.) and could only be found on Cox Cable, DirecTV, or Fubo (all of which charged over $100/month, plus RSN surcharges in Fubo's case, just for the packages that included Bally). No surprise, then, that audience reach and viewership is up so much. Once Scripps and Meruelo get the streaming rights worked out, it's gonna explode again.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
In spite the lack of a streaming solution..... Scripps seems happy so far.

In fairness to context.... Coyotes ratings were and have been horrible. But it's a step in the right direction.

Not gonna fix things in a few short weeks. It’s not possible. 900% increase is nice to see but we don’t know the viewer numbers from RSN.

Happy more people are tuning in, and hopefully it’s a demographic of people who were considered those “fans in waiting”.

Love the progress on all counts, just put shovels in the dirt

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not gonna fix things in a few short weeks. It’s not possible. 900% increase is nice to see but we don’t know the viewer numbers from RSN.

Happy more people are tuning in, and hopefully it’s a demographic of people who were considered those “fans in waiting”.

Love the progress on all counts, just put shovels in the dirt

The 900% number is over the RSN count.

You can look at it this way.

Going from a 900k household reach to the reported 3,5 million reach just with OTA added to the mix is 375-400% gain. So with 4x the number of eligible housholds available they got 9x the viewership.

Given the Coyotes viewership numbers were extremely bad it's not the dent it seems to be. But it's encouraging.

Arizona is hooked on broadband though. Twice the national average (IIRC). If they can get a broadbad solution up and running then we might see a bigger jump.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The 900% number is over the RSN count.

You can look at it this way.

Going from a 900k household reach to the reported 3,5 million reach just with OTA added to the mix is 375-400% gain. So with 4x the number of eligible housholds available they got 9x the viewership.

Given the Coyotes viewership numbers were extremely bad it's not the dent it seems to be. But it's encouraging.

Arizona is hooked on broadband though. Twice the national average (IIRC). If they can get a broadbad solution up and running then we might see a bigger jump.
Love it. I don’t want to see the official rating numbers. Happy with the increase. Let’s keep this going

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The long and short of it is that the equipment buy is a one-time, fixed cost, and then it goes away and you're left with free and clear HD-quality TV on dozens of local channels for a grand total of $0 per month. Setting up the antenna and the Tablo/AirTV is a matter of 10 minutes' work. It's just that everyone's conditioned these days to getting everything from a coax cable or a 5G cell signal, so when we have to go old-school like this, it's a bit jarring.

The only people who are really missing out are people like me who live in a neighborhood whose geography blocks the TV signals - but my unfortunate demographic is vanishingly small.

Compared with the last couple of years, when Bally Sports was dropped by the biggest streamers (YouTube TV, Hulu w/Live TV, Sling, etc.) and could only be found on Cox Cable, DirecTV, or Fubo (all of which charged over $100/month, plus RSN surcharges in Fubo's case, just for the packages that included Bally). No surprise, then, that audience reach and viewership is up so much. Once Scripps and Meruelo get the streaming rights worked out, it's gonna explode again.
We are 100% in this demographic. It was streams before which some folks either have trouble with or qualms about and I paid $14.99 for 81 games.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Well…anecdotal but I had to get VPN and subscriptions and all other types of BS to watch in previous seasons. (Also had to fight to get it to work)

This year I bought a 30 dollar antenna and have been able to enjoy just fine.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
The last 2-3 years I've tried:
YouTube TV
Hulu TV
ESPN + with VPN
Ballys sports app

None of them worked well. You could say "user error" or whatever smart-ass comment, but vudu Netflix regular Hulu HBO max Amazon prime and peacock all worked just fine. Tablo so far works just fine. They've just had consumers locked into paying crazy amounts for sports and not having to make it reliable or really support it at all. I hope every local goes antenna nation wide, f*** the greedy and lazy TV providers, especially the rsns.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The last 2-3 years I've tried:
YouTube TV
Hulu TV
ESPN + with VPN
Ballys sports app

None of them worked well. You could say "user error" or whatever smart-ass comment, but vudu Netflix regular Hulu HBO max Amazon prime and peacock all worked just fine. Tablo so far works just fine. They've just had consumers locked into paying crazy amounts for sports and not having to make it reliable or really support it at all. I hope every local goes antenna nation wide, f*** the greedy and lazy TV providers, especially the rsns.
I'm still with Cox waiting for the streaming app. Can't wait to tell Cox go to hell.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
between AHLTV, CHLTV, KHL, FLOTV, and my NHL package I think I spend $800 a year to watch hockey. Add in Disney, Netflix, Paramount Plus, etc. plus cable which I still have I am easily spending thousand of dollars a year.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Anyone know how the promised free antenna’s are coming along?
I’ll wait with a chuckle, as I anticipate timing, contracts and logistics excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad