OT: Covid-19 (Part 46) Under Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
@MasterD , while I do agree that booster for the general population are not totally warranted in Canada, there is more reasoning for it in the US based on the bigger unvaccinated population and rampant cases.

@Lafleurs Guy , don't put the scientists saying we don't need boosters yet together with the ones arguing for HCQ or saying the vaccines are dangerous. It's a very different situation. There is reliable data showing vaccines still work.

Currently, I don't see the need for a booster in most cases. That doesn't mean I'm against booster or think they are bad.

Of course, it's different for the elderly, immunocompromised and people in high risk areas. For example, I'd consider a booster if I lived in Florida, but not for now in Québec.

I believe the CDC is being overly cautious with the booster for everyone and I'm not alone in the scientific community.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Never heard of pharma companies choosing the studies they release to favor their products? Ok. Took years for Vioxx to be taken off market even if we knew if caused premature deaths. But sure, keep thinking pharmas are in business only for the greater good of humanity.
Of course, like a bunch of other industries. I never said Big Pharma is in it only for the Greater Good. Matter of fact, I said ''there are issues with Big Pharma, no doubt''.
Where we differ is I don't take that to just spew out random conspiracies.

Do they want their vaccines to become mandatory worldwide??? Definitely from a business sense, why wouldn't they? Does that mean they're going to lie about the need for it? No.
I'm going to trust the medical consensus and recommendations, otherwise, you can spiral down a deep hole of conspiracies ending up believing whatever you want.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
85.8% of population above 12 years old got at least one dose (Only 14.2% to go)
76.5% of that population fully vaccinated

75.1% of the total population got at least one dose.

E9KaYq0XsAIKlOv

Reactions: ArtPeur

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
So Pfizer vaccine effectiveness against Delta infection is decreasing to ~40% after 4 months..

Booster for Delta will be strongly suggested in several months.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
@MasterD , while I do agree that booster for the general population are not totally warranted in Canada, there is more reasoning for it in the US based on the bigger unvaccinated population and rampant cases.

@Lafleurs Guy , don't put the scientists saying we don't need boosters yet together with the ones arguing for HCQ or saying the vaccines are dangerous. It's a very different situation. There is reliable data showing vaccines still work.

Currently, I don't see the need for a booster in most cases. That doesn't mean I'm against booster or think they are bad.

Of course, it's different for the elderly, immunocompromised and people in high risk areas. For example, I'd consider a booster if I lived in Florida, but not for now in Québec.

I believe the CDC is being overly cautious with the booster for everyone and I'm not alone in the scientific community.
Very well. If there is SERIOUS debate on it, then it’s a different story. But when I hear that these scientists are outside the mainstream, then I’m not going to take it seriously.

I’m adamant on the vaccine. It works. As for boosters, next steps... that’s fine, I’ll wait for scientific consensus. If and when it’s reached, then I will follow that direction. I’m not a scientist and would never claim to be one. But I’m not going to follow Dr Quack off Facebook or take anything there and treat it with any kind of credibility.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Very well. If there is SERIOUS debate on it, then it’s a different story. But when I hear that these scientists are outside the mainstream, then I’m not going to take it seriously.

I’m adamant on the vaccine. It works. As for boosters, next steps... that’s fine, I’ll wait for scientific consensus. If and when it’s reached, then I will follow that direction. I’m not a scientist and would never claim to be one.

Yeah, @MasterD did a disservice by calling them outside of mainstream. The debate is definitely still on in the scientific mainstream.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
Of course, like a bunch of other industries. I never said Big Pharma is in it only for the Greater Good. Matter of fact, I said ''there are issues with Big Pharma, no doubt''.
Where we differ is I don't take that to just spew out random conspiracies.

Do they want their vaccines to become mandatory worldwide??? Definitely from a business sense, why wouldn't they? Does that mean they're going to lie about the need for it? No.
I'm going to trust the medical consensus and recommendations, otherwise, you can spiral down a deep hole of conspiracies ending up believing whatever you want.

Pfizer to pay $2.3 billion, agrees to criminal plea

They took felony convictions in the settlement. Big Pharma does lie about their products to produce sales. Coerce doctors to prescribe, hide adverse affects from their trials, alter data to mislead the true results of their medicines. People died from their lies and manipulation of the truth. They continued to sell products the FDA rejected as unsafe.

Not going down the conspiracy trail in this post I don't believe, but having faith that Big Pharma will not lie to you to sell their product is, in my opinion, the much bigger conspiracy theory than people who dare to question their money and motives.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Pfizer to pay $2.3 billion, agrees to criminal plea

They took felony convictions in the settlement. Big Pharma does lie about their products to produce sales. Coerce doctors to prescribe, hide adverse affects from their trials, alter data to mislead the true results of their medicines. People died from their lies and manipulation of the truth. They continued to sell products the FDA rejected as unsafe.

Not going down the conspiracy trail in this post I don't believe, but having faith that Big Pharma will not lie to you to sell their product is, in my opinion, the much bigger conspiracy theory than people who dare to question their money and motives.
You can find liars everywhere. The question is, who has more transparency and accountability – scientists whose work is being scrutinized by every credible institution across the planet, or the self-proclaimed experts blogging from their basement?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
When it comes to boosters and vaccines effectiveness, I think it's time to concentrate on our country alone (while not completely brush aside what's going elsewhere). There's now too much variable right now.

- The interval between doses
- The vaccination rate
- The measures in place
- What type of vaccine has been used
- The demographics of each place
- Delta prevalence

As for now, for Canada there's absolutely no need for a booster shot as of today other than those with problems with their immune system. Might sing a different tune in 3-4 weeks, but as of today, this is an American thing and their situation might play a role in that decision.

Canada is not at the same place.

More vaccination, mask mandates = Less spread = Less cases = Less breakthrough cases = Less need of a boosters shot at this point.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
So Pfizer vaccine effectiveness against Delta infection is decreasing to ~40% after 4 months..

Tens and tens of millions of people in the US have had the Pfizer vaccine for well over 4 months and there is zero evidence for a drop to 40%. It's the opposite, in fact.

Do Americans have magic powers?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
They are talking boosters in the US now because they've realized they are never going to get a significant chunk of the population vaccinated. It's just never going to happen, and it was it predictable. I even said it a while back when people were complaining about the rollout in Canada because the US was vaccinating 1m+ per day.

There will always be a sizeable chunk of unvaccinated in the US, and so COVID is always going to be present in all areas of society. Even if you're vaccinated, the more you are exposed in an area that the virus is in heavy circulation, the higher the chance of a breakthrough infection.

Vaccines are not sunscreen. They don't block the virus like magic. They teach your immune system to fight it off, so that if you are exposed, your body already knows how to fight the virus before it can take hold. But that doesn't mean you're immune, you can still get infected if for whatever reason your immune system isn't able to stop the virus from taking hold. You'll probably have a more mild infection, and be infected for a shorter period, since your immune system already knows what to do. But you might still get sick. And the risk of this happening goes up the more you're around infected people.

So, they're proposing boosters because that's going to protect those who are willing to get vaccinated, and they're basically giving up on the unvaccinated. Let them live with their decisions.

Reactions: LarryO

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

If this were true then we’d see the vaccinated catching the virus in much higher numbers. That’s not the case.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
If this were true then we’d see the vaccinated catching the virus in much higher numbers. That’s not the case.
Yes, I also question this. Real life data does not back this and I actually found a study which said the complete opposite: that the mRNA vaccine are providing more than anticipated long term immunity response.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Moderna seems to be better than Pfizer from what I read about antibodies level.

Johnson and johnson seems to be all right for Delta too

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Question: Is it possible and/or likely that a booster will be tweaked to be more effective against Delta or is that not possible?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Question: Is it possible and/or likely that a booster will be tweaked to be more effective against Delta or is that not possible?

Very easy to do for mRNA vaccines and they are testing it.

They had started some work with Beta previously as well, but I assume that one will never be available.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

Everything is under control... It's not like there was 3 previous waves that could have been used to learn a few useful lessons along the way... Oh wait, there was.

As its stand, Canada and Germany truly became the golden standard on how to handle this covid thing in the Western world. And it's nothing to brag about, because it truly feel like we just won a softball game against a team of blind 12 years old.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad