OT: Covid-19 Part 12:

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I wonder how many of those new cases are people from CHSLDs vs the rest of us.

they are no longer testing « the rest of us » unless you present with clear and obvious signs of the disease. If you think you have it, they tell you stay home for 2 weeks.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The craft beer store, last 3 times I went at around 3 pm on a Sunday. Nobody was there except one guy working. Not a soul. But the grocery stores around here are all slammed, all day every day.

Can you not take a drive to another part of town where stores are much less jammed and buy in bulk? Of course, I’m not encouraging it but if you must go out, then make it worthwhile.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
they are no longer testing « the rest of us » unless you present with clear and obvious signs of the disease. If you think you have it, they tell you stay home for 2 weeks.

Yup that is what we call testing bias. Testing only if you have symptoms or testing certain people with close contact (HCP and CSHLD). That results in very much flawed data. Why do you think the death rate jumped in Quebec from 0.6% to 3% in a week and a half? Because all they do now is test high-risk population or people with clear symptoms.

Most asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases are not being tested. I would estimate that around 100,000 Quebecers have or have had the virus, which would put the death rate at 0.5%. Even if you are pessimistic about the actual death total, I would put the actual death rate between 0.5-1.5%. Still 5 to 10 times higher than the average flu but we are sort of lucky that a pandemic virus was not an Ebola type virus.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
p.s.
A muderer kills one people the first day, 2 the second day, 3 the third day, etc. The daily % would go down but I don't think this would be that comforting for the remaining people :)

Well, no, but here we are trying to see the curve slowing down. You are describing a linear increase that never stops.

If the murderer says "I'll eventually start slowing down and killing fewer people" then the day over day % is pretty important.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm really amazed there are people who worked as préposés aux bénéficiaires for 13$/h. Even at 17$/h I'm floored they can find people doing this kind of work.

Edit: Scratch that, I'm amazed ANYONE is doing ANY kind of work for under 20$/h, nevermind tough work like préposé.

Ya..discussed this last week. Minimum salary should be 20$ across the board...even at that...everyone should be able to make 1000$ per week...Crazy to me how you can have spent your entire week working and you don't even have 1000$ to show for it...
Wtf do you do with 15$...

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Listening to TSN690 and they played a clip of Kellyanne Conway on Fox & Friends this morning talking about COVID-19 and that this isn't COVID-1 and that WHO was able to deal with the first 18 COVIDs. :facepalm:

The fact that someone in a position of power thinks this is the 19th in a series of COVIDs is further proof that there are idiots in that administration.

Conway is a strange case, her husband George, hates Trump and posts about him on Twitter every day.

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009

Toews19

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Yup that is what we call testing bias. Testing only if you have symptoms or testing certain people with close contact (HCP and CSHLD). That results in very much flawed data. Why do you think the death rate jumped in Quebec from 0.6% to 3% in a week and a half? Because all they do now is test high-risk population or people with clear symptoms.

Most asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic cases are not being tested. I would estimate that around 100,000 Quebecers have or have had the virus, which would put the death rate at 0.5%. Even if you are pessimistic about the actual death total, I would put the actual death rate between 0.5-1.5%. Still 5 to 10 times higher than the average flu but we are sort of lucky that a pandemic virus was not an Ebola type virus.
This is what pisses me off. The statistics they have given us since the beginning are absolutely meaningless. At the outset, they were only testing returning travellers and their close contacts and concluding that there was no community spread. Now they do less testing and tell us the curve is flattening.
If they really wanted to have meaningful data, they should have been doing random testing (say 1000 per day) to get a more accurate measure of how many people have it, the regions most affected, all the age group data, and the actual growth rate. That's Statistics 101.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
NYC ER Dr. Calvin Sun just now on MSNBC: 86% of patients worldwide, that get put on ventilators, die. :eek:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
NYC ER Dr. Calvin Sun just now on MSNBC: 86% of patients worldwide, that get put on ventilators, die. :eek:

Ventilators are terrible for your lungs. The longer you are on them, the less chance you'll come off of one. I have suspected we don't fully understand the best way to treat this thing. We are treating it as a respiratory disease because most people develop pneumonia, but I wonder if maybe that's just a side effect of the real issue.

Reactions: scrubadam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad