OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
The most studied way to prevent a serious COVID case is the vaccines. However, the monoclonal antibodies are being thought of as useful as well. Here is a good article about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...9a0b5e-0029-11ec-a664-4f6de3e17ff0_story.html

Relevant points for you!

* Available for ages 12 and up with mild/moderate COVID
* Can not be hospitalized or needing supplemental oxygen
* Needs to be given within 7 to 10 days of becoming symptomatic

The cost of the drug is covered by the government. I am not all familiar with the safety profile of this therapy so make sure you are cahoots with somebody who knows what they heck they are talking about with regards to this therapy, but it seems like a potentially promising way of stopping COVID from progressing to a more severe disease.

Here is a list of places that offer this therapy in TN:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/h...onavirus/Monoclonal_Antibody_Availability.pdf

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
The most studied way to prevent a serious COVID case is the vaccines. However, the monoclonal antibodies are being thought of as useful as well. Here is a good article about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...9a0b5e-0029-11ec-a664-4f6de3e17ff0_story.html

Relevant points for you!

* Available for ages 12 and up with mild/moderate COVID
* Can not be hospitalized or needing supplemental oxygen
* Needs to be given within 7 to 10 days of becoming symptomatic

The cost of the drug is covered by the government. I am not all familiar with the safety profile of this therapy so make sure you are cahoots with somebody who knows what they heck they are talking about with regards to this therapy, but it seems like a potentially promising way of stopping COVID from progressing to a more severe disease.

Here is a list of places that offer this therapy in TN:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/h...onavirus/Monoclonal_Antibody_Availability.pdf
Interesting. I bookmarked these in my computer, just in case.

Yesterday someone started berating my daughter and her 5 year old because they were both wearing masks. They probably wish they'd picked on someone else at this point because Jailbait is a pistol and will not suffer in silence.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Interesting. I bookmarked these in my computer, just in case.

Yesterday someone started berating my daughter and her 5 year old because they were both wearing masks. They probably wish they'd picked on someone else at this point because Jailbait is a pistol and will not suffer in silence.
I've found myself uttering these words far, far too much the past year and a half, but "What the f*** is wrong with people?!"

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I've found myself uttering these words far, far too much the past year and a half, but "What the f*** is wrong with people?!"
Threatens their wo/manhood if someone's thought process differs from theirs, I guess. From what my daughter said it was more aimed at her putting a mask on a five year old.

Reactions: LCPreds

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Pfizer is now officially approved so that gets at least one anti-covid vax talking point off the list. With that said, does anyone happen to know the expected timeline for Moderna and J&J?

Reactions: Adz and PredsV82

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pfizer is now officially approved so that gets at least one anti-covid vax talking point off the list. With that said, does anyone happen to know the expected timeline for Moderna and J&J?

Moderna should be close on the heels of Pfizer. J/J came out a couple months later and have had a few more hiccups so probably toward the end of the year for them

Reactions: bdub24 and LCPreds

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
It being approved will create more fear mongering. You know it will become "the FDA was bought!" It's been really interesting to see the gymnastics feats when talking points are negated in some way.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
It being approved will create more fear mongering. You know it will become "the FDA was bought!" It's been really interesting to see the gymnastics feats when talking points are negated in some way.
Being automatically dismissive of someone who might believe that, doesn't negate it's possible authenticity. After all, one can look at who is at the core of providing the majority of the agency's review budget, which is big pharma. Along with close to half of the fees they collect for their budget, are from the companies themselves who are applying for what they want to have approved.

I would think in this day & age, there's nothing wrong with not simply taking things at face value & or not being the least bit inquisitive or skeptical, especially if the government is involved. I think we can all agree to that, no? ;)

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Being automatically dismissive of someone who might believe that, doesn't negate it's possible authenticity. After all, one can look at who is at the core of providing the majority of the agency's review budget, which is big pharma. Along with close to half of the fees they collect for their budget, are from the companies themselves who are applying for what they want to have approved.

I would think in this day & age, there's nothing wrong with not simply taking things at face value & or not being the least bit inquisitive or skeptical, especially if the government is involved. I think we can all agree to that, no? ;)

No. Bullshit like this post, throwing around terms like "big pharma" is how we got where we are right now, with millions of people willingly refusing a safe, effective, potentially lifesaving/disability preventing treatment for no good goddamned reason at all. The "I'm just asking questions, no harm in that" is some of the most dangerous horseshit that has been spread around our society and I'm sick of it and tired of being nice about it.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Being inquisitive is one thing. Supporting conspiracy theories with no factual basis is quite another.
So we've automatically jumped to the conspiracy theory line for anything we disagree with? That didn't take long to do any opposition research to the contrary, apparently. I guess it's just easier to say "that's not possible" and go about things.

No. Bullshit like this post, throwing around terms like "big pharma" is how we got where we are right now, with millions of people willingly refusing a safe, effective, potentially lifesaving/disability preventing treatment for no good goddamned reason at all. The "I'm just asking questions, no harm in that" is some of the most dangerous horseshit that has been spread around our society and I'm sick of it and tired of being nice about it.
Ah yes, clearly more dangerous than "I'll do whatever I'm told to do, without question, every time...and if you say a thing to the contrary, you're evil", tolerant mindset. Thankfully for myself, I don't need the vaccine after already having had the virus and recovered, but even if I hadn't had it at this point, I wouldn't get it just to spite people like yourself who have become so narrow minded and have taken leave of their senses during this whole ordeal, that they couldn't possibly ever be wrong or misguided in the least bit.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So we've automatically jumped to the conspiracy theory line for anything we disagree with? That didn't take long to do any opposition research to the contrary, apparently. I guess it's just easier to say "that's not possible" and go about things.

Ah yes, clearly more dangerous than "I'll do whatever I'm told to do, without question, every time...and if you say a thing to the contrary, you're evil", tolerant mindset. Thankfully for myself, I don't need the vaccine after already having had the virus and recovered, but even if I hadn't had it at this point, I wouldn't get it just to spite people like yourself who have become so narrow minded and have taken leave of their senses during this whole ordeal, that they couldn't possibly ever be wrong or misguided in the least bit.

Wow, this is doubling down on misguided. First, even though you may have had COVID, you still need the vaccine because natural immunity isnt as strong as vaccine immunity and we know people are getting it a second time. But you go ahead and "own" me by... putting yourself at risk??? Yeah, that will show me.

Second, nobody says you have to "obey without question"... but all the REASONABLE questions about the vaccine have been answered. It's people like you who get out in the weeds with your conspiracy theories that you try to pretty up and claim are "reasonable" doubts that are causing so much distrust. Hell, do what everyone would normally do with a medical question... ask your own doctor... we are almost 100% unified in saying the same thing....

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

Sure

Make sure you are questioning all the other governments, and their public health experts, who have also determined that these vaccines benefits outweigh their risks. Make sure you you question the consensus of related experts that are not government employees who have come to the same conclusion. Make sure you pour over the data which include the vaccine trails, the ongoing studies throughout the world (but especially in the UK, Israel, U.S. since they were among the first to vaccinate a large % of their population). Make sure you consider the implications that all these governments, their experts, private experts in related fields, all the media you dislike, all the doctors and nurses working with actual COVID patients, all the data that has been collected, and the subsequent evidence derived from it....consider that all of that has been faked, exaggerated, manipulated to control you, and expose you to a harmful medication (vaccine).

I would love to see a rational justification for that. I don't see how it can be done without diving deep into the paranoid delusional conspiracy theory rabbit hole. The thing is the totality of government, government health officials, related private experts aren't asking you to have FAITH in what they say. They ,companies, government agencies, researchers (government and private), have been releasing the evidence and their assessment of that evidence the whole way along. Every day it seems more studies come out about vaccine effectiveness. I would personally assert that even if they didn't publicly provide the evidence (though obviously they should for transparency) I would still trust their advice because not believing in the consensus of experts would be foolish. I could take my broken car to 10 different mechanics. 9 of the 10 say the problem is the transmission, but one says the problem is a belt. I go home and find a post on Facebook about broken belts. I watch a 10 minute video of a guy on Youtube telling me that the evil "they" are going to try to convince you that the problem is your transmission when really it is the belt. Let's go one step further. 9 of the 10 mechanics who say the problem is the transmission take me under the hood of the car and show me the evidence for why it is the transmission.

But you know what? The one mechanic was really charismatic, and I liked the contrarian attitude of the FB post and the Youtube video. So I'm going with that. That is what is happening right now.

You can do what you want. I can do what I want and assert that opinion is sad. Unfortunately, this is happening more and more often. People who have mocked the virus, people's reaction's to it, and any type of mitigation method have been dying of the virus and their ignorance and hubris is left behind on social media for everybody to see. Would you really risk dying to prove your pettiness? If you would, at least I'd give you credit for sticking to your principles.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't know Doc. Pharmaceutical and insurance companies have definitely demonstrated an interest and willingness to place profits and costs over getting medical care and medicines to those in need. I definitely don't blame anyone for being skeptical of these entities, and it seems increasingly difficult to parse out leading medical voices and who they may be affiliated with/profiting by. This isn't exactly a new belief system that has cropped up just because of Covid, though maybe the vaccine resistance en masse and some other particular talking points are a new wrinkle of it. I say this as someone that diligently listens and follows my doctor's (and other care providers') instructions and also was vaccinated early on.

Reactions: predfan98

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't know Doc. Pharmaceutical and insurance companies have definitely demonstrated an interest and willingness to place profits and costs over getting medical care and medicines to those in need. I definitely don't blame anyone for being skeptical of these entities, and it seems increasingly difficult to parse out leading medical voices and who they may be affiliated with/profiting by. This isn't exactly a new belief system that has cropped up just because of Covid, though maybe the vaccine resistance en masse and some other particular talking points are a new wrinkle of it. I say this as someone that diligently listens and follows my doctor's (and other care providers') instructions and also was vaccinated early on.
Absolutely. I lost faith when the "pain centers" and over prescribing opioids started.

Reactions: predfan98

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I get it that there is big money in pharmaceuticals. And if we were dealing with some new drug for say, diabetes or blood pressure that was expensive but only demonstrated a marginal improvement over conventional/generic treatment, I could see some skepticism.

But the data on the vaccines is now in the hundreds of millions of doses. And the reasons people have for not taking it despite mountains of evidence that it is of benefit are both dangerously illogical and infuriating to those of us trying to beat this disease.

So, somehow, some way find a regular doctor you trust... not some researcher, not anyone that works for the government... just a doctor you know well enough to believe they arent gonna blow smoke up your ass... and ask them. And then do what they recommend. If everyone did that, this would all be just about over...

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

I am talking about those who used the "lack of being FDA approved" status as their reason for not getting the vaccine. Now it has been FDA approved and I am, yes, automatically dismissive because I've seen the goal post moved when the parameters changed many many times. This is not changing one's mind because of new information, this is changing one's reason for not getting the vaccine because the earlier reason was negated. And it's already happening.

If you questioned the vaccine but did not use the lack of FDA approval status as your reason I am not talking about you. I disagree with you, but I am not dismissing your concerns.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
You know the story jumped the shark when Trump suggested getting vaxxed and got booed in Alabama. He even said he got it himself. Maybe he’s actually in on the big conspiracy now?

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Dats, I have a young patient who got Covid in the winter, who tested positive for it again this week. Said it was way worse the second time around. So yes, you can get it again!

You can distrust the FDA all you want but what about the ongoing work done by other national health services like predsfan pointed out? The case rates in Canada are not nearly what ours are and are 90 percent in the unvaccinated. And 60% of their population is fully vaccinated.
COVID-19 daily epidemiology update - Canada.ca

All the major nursing organizations have endorsed vaccination as well.

I will say it again, I AM TIRED!

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
even if I hadn't had it at this point, I wouldn't get it just to spite people
The colloquial expression for this sort of attitude is "cutting off your nose to spite your face".

Making decisions based on such criteria is not a good rationale. Yes, it's annoying when pushy annoyances have a point, but, well, blind squirrels and acorns and all that.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Yes yes…the government wants to put its populace in mortal danger so that it can collect less taxes when it kills off its population with a phony vaccine. Makes perfect sense when you’ve been drinking that tasty Flint water. f***ing morons.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I see it larger than that. When every nation in the world is fighting this virus, locking down cities, mandating mask wearing, pushing vaccines, etc. Nations that have never gotten along or worked together, but now all have a common goal, that's not just some liberal US agenda, it's a serious pandemic.

This conspiracy is so deep it goes all the way through the center of the earth and comes out the other side.

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad