OT: COVID-19 Megathread III (Please limit all COVID discussion to this thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Was talking to a pediatrician friend of mine in Kentucky and ask him about his conversations with the parents of his patients and covid vaccine attitude. He said that the largest part of his practice is with immigrants. He said that conversations with those parents are almost always positive and that they treasure the opportunity to get vaccinated since their relatives in third world countries don't have access and look forward to getting this life saving drug for their children.

That was refreshing to hear and helps put this crisis into perspective.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don't know if vaccine requirements will work. It might work in a place like an airport, but the recent lollapalooza event showed how easily one can manipulate the card check. There was no way those checkers could actually check thousands of people entering that event. Plus, the fake vaccine card market is probably steaming hot right now.

You can always discourage fraud by making the penalty sufficiently great enough to make the average person decide the risk isn't worth it. I expect it will become more difficult to defraud the system eventually anyway.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Update on QM: Doc called and said Michael is clinically stable. This is a good thing! He explained that they are watching closely as they take him off the paralytic to make sure he is holding his own and we still have a ways to go, but his words were, "We are on the right side of the fence."

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
If the tickets were sold before this was a requirement, I don't know how they can not refund, I see some class actions being filed if that's the case.

My guess is they believe the fine print lets them do this. We’ll see.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I am honestly quite concerned about when/if I will get a booster. I'm immune compromised, but I ended up getting J&J vaccine becuase that is what as on tap that day. CDC is awaiting enough data to make a recommendation on it. Screwed by getting th rarer vaccine. We are uber cautious and never really stopped wearing masks away from home.

Reactions: Adz

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Update on QM (the things I'm posting are all from his wife's FB, btw)

Michael has been responsive this morning, opening his eyes and moving his head some. They have been able to reduce his oxygen again to 45% and his PEEP (which I said peak in a previous update, because I didn't understand--and I could still be wrong) is at 6 (only one step above the lowest they can go on the vent)!

Adzy--Seems to be an improvement and Rachel seems very positive. Not sure if I ever posted it but Michael (Sullivan) is in St. Thomas Rutherford if anyone wants to send a card or something.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
FYI PEEP is Positive End Expiratory Pressure. Used on the ventilator to keep the small airways open at the end of exhalation. The lower the number, the better...

Reactions: hockey diva and Adz

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I am honestly quite concerned about when/if I will get a booster. I'm immune compromised, but I ended up getting J&J vaccine becuase that is what as on tap that day. CDC is awaiting enough data to make a recommendation on it. Screwed by getting th rarer vaccine. We are uber cautious and never really stopped wearing masks away from home.

sounds like you should have a talk with your doctor. I hope you have one you can talk to and feel comfortable with....
Not a good thing to get medical advice on social media.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
.... unless of course the advice comes from.. you know... a doctor.

I see my specific post got removed and I suppose I should have been more general, so I'll just say this:

Immunocompromised patients are at higher risk for serious complications from COVID infection even with full vaccination.

Johnson and Johnsons vaccine, while still highly effective, was never as effective as either of the mRNA vaccines(Pfizer and Moderna). Boosters have now been recommended for both of these vaccines for immunocompromised patients, but as of yet no recommendation has been made about J/J.

Hypothetically, if I had an immunocompromised patient who had been immunized with a J/J vaccine, I would believe them to be inadequately protected. Since J/J is both in short supply and has not been recommended for a booster, that patients options would be either remain as they are and hope for the best, or start a new vaccination series with either Pfizer or Moderna. Since the vaccines dont elicit exactly the same response, a single dose of Pfizer or Moderna would not count as a "booster" to the original J/J shot and so would still need to be followed by a second injection of the same vaccine at the appropriate interval.

Please note the above is for educational and informational purposes and is intended only as something to consider discussing with your own personal physician.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
.... .

Please note the above is for educational and informational purposes and is intended only as something to consider discussing with your own personal physician.

I’m pretty sure if you were a REAL doctor you would know this disclaimer is supposed to be accompanied by video of a guy throwing a football through a tire swing or of a bathtub sitting in a random front yard, along with a warning about erections lasting more than 4 hours. SMH.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
I have a long held view that he was one of the dumbest guys in the country to hold a talk show job but was hoping he would get better just because and also to help spread the word that his previously recommended animal de-worming medicine- now accounting for a large portion of calls to Mississippi’s poison control hotline- was not the top medical option for surviving the virus. Maybe running headlong into the arms of death will help someone else.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Lots of signals popping up now but most minds are made up and will be impossible to sway. Valentine dies and he and his family implore everyone to get vaxxed. In other news, Trump got booed telling a crowd in Alabama that he was vaxxed and they should be too. It’s too late man. You should have had a different tune a year ago.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Vaccine mandates by private organizations are our only hope. If you have to have your shots to keep your job, or go to a store, or an arena, then some of the reluctant ones will begrudgingly get the jab. At this point I dont care. Whatever it takes, we have got to get somewhere near 80% vaccinated. We also desperately need the FDA to get off its ass and approve the shot for kids, and then make the shot mandatory just like all the other vaccinations required to attend school. That will keep the schools open this fall/winter.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
US vaccines are creeping back up to the 1m doses per week level with KY, Tn, Al and MS all showing material increases in percentage this week over the prior week. It’s not great but people aren’t totally decided to the point I thought

Reactions: PredsV82

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Lots of signals popping up now but most minds are made up and will be impossible to sway. Valentine dies and he and his family implore everyone to get vaxxed. In other news, Trump got booed telling a crowd in Alabama that he was vaxxed and they should be too. It’s too late man. You should have had a different tune a year ago.

The rate of doses being administered per day has increased over the last several weeks with the current surge in play.

How Is The COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign Going In Your State?

Sure, some people aren't reachable, but for those referred to as "hesitant" I think the data shows they are still reachable.

Reactions: LCPreds

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The rate of doses being administered per day has increased over the last several weeks with the current surge in play.

How Is The COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign Going In Your State?

Sure, some people aren't reachable, but for those referred to as "hesitant" I think the data shows they are still reachable.

My experience talking to my own unvaccinated patients is that there are some who are adamant and some who are just paralyzed by conflicting messages and so default to doing nothing. I have convinced a few of them(but not all) to go ahead and get their shots

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Notes on QM's progress--

He's having various degrees of success with anxiety so sedation is being increased or decreased as it fits.
He's still on the ventilator. A couple of days ago he was "breathing against the ventilator" but was stabilized.

Keep him and Mrs. QM in your thoughts. She hasn't been able to see him since 7/31 when she was being admitted.

Just read that an assistant coach for Western Carolina, 32, passed of covid days after learning he had it. WCU assistant dies from COVID, fiancee says And Mr. Adz just told me that Mike Vrabel (46) learned he has covid this morning. He was not wearing a mask during portions of last night's game (maybe all). Hopefully he didn't pass it on to others. This one is hitting the younger folks.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
My experience talking to my own unvaccinated patients is that there are some who are adamant and some who are just paralyzed by conflicting messages and so default to doing nothing. I have convinced a few of them(but not all) to go ahead and get their shots

Same for me here. All the providers in our clinic have hit the wall regarding vaccine resistance. We are tired and frustrated.

Reactions: LCPreds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad