Aron Kiviharju - Niilopekka Muhonen
Veeti Väisänen - Emil Pieniniemi
Kalle Kangas - Jimi Junkkari
Janne Peltonen
Mitja Jokinen

Eemil Vinni
Noa Vali
Visa Vedenpää
Thanks.....not bad! Forwards look decent. Hyped to see Kiviharju play through the whole tournie. I'm more acquainted with the forwards than the defensemen. What are your thoughts about how competitive this team will be? Decent chances at a medal again this year?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Thanks.....not bad! Forwards look decent. Hyped to see Kiviharju play through the whole tournie. I'm more acquainted with the forwards than the defensemen. What are your thoughts about how competitive this team will be? Decent chances at a medal again this year?
Yes theres even upside for gold but I believe atleast medal coming. Theyve played quite well this season and even Halttunen scored couple last tournament. Withouth the underagers this team would have been terrible but quite balanced team in my oppinion

Reactions: illone84

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yeah i think ASP 1st, Willander 2rd and Lindstein third place.. I hope Lindstein and ASP will form a pair, they were great together in Finland in february.

Although i like our team, one thing i think Sweden miss is a first rounder forward, Stenberg is the only one that have a chance to go in the first round. 1-2 more and it would been great.
Speaking of Lindstein. Its perfect warm up for him to play against very physical and big Malmö team in the kvalserien. He will experiance hell and will come out stronger with this experiance for the U18 WJC.

Reactions: Kabetogama

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
From the WHL, Berkly Catton would easily be the best skater available of the teams out of playoff position, but he's an 06 and I don't know how often/how many underagers TC likes to bring. Bjarnason would be a high quality option for a starter in net. Justin Kipke and Brady Birnie would probably be decent skater options but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the team either depending on the options from the O and Q.

A lot more options would open up depending on who gets eliminated in the 1st round and becomes available for the tournament.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Bit OT but it's still U18 topic involving next year's tournament.

Kuopio ja KalPa hakevat jääkiekon juniorien MM-kisoja 2024
Kuopio and KalPa are applying the 2024 U18 Worlds, Hockey Gods please let this happen! I live near by and i could go to every game, f*** work im taking my vacation then.

I was in Helsinki at the Hartwall arena in 2016, when Finland won the U20 world championship in overtime. Last May i was in Tampere at the Nokia arena to see Finland win the men's world championship, again in overtime. If Finland gets this tournament, i'll be there to see Finland win the U18 world championship..... in overtime. No two without the third :laugh:.

The news story in the link says that City of Kuopio and KalPa sent the application to Finnish Ice Hockey Association, so does that mean that Finland is the host country or does every country sent one application? Of course depending if any certain country wants to host this event. 2014 is the last time when the U18 Worlds were in Finland, Lappeenranta and Imatra were the host citys. Kuopio definitely have a better arena than in Lappeenranta.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Bit OT but it's still U18 topic involving next year's tournament.

Kuopio ja KalPa hakevat jääkiekon juniorien MM-kisoja 2024
Kuopio and KalPa are applying the 2024 U18 Worlds, Hockey Gods please let this happen! I live near by and i could go to every game, f*** work im taking my vacation then.

I was in Helsinki at the Hartwall arena in 2016, when Finland won the U20 world championship in overtime. Last May i was in Tampere at the Nokia arena to see Finland win the men's world championship, again in overtime. If Finland gets this tournament, i'll be there to see Finland win the U18 world championship..... in overtime. No two without the third :laugh:.

The news story in the link says that City of Kuopio and KalPa sent the application to Finnish Ice Hockey Association, so does that mean that Finland is the host country or does every country sent one application? Of course depending if any certain country wants to host this event. 2014 is the last time when the U18 Worlds were in Finland, Lappeenranta and Imatra were the host citys. Kuopio definitely have a better arena than in Lappeenranta.
Nice! Hope it happens!

Reactions: SantosHalper

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
From the WHL, Berkly Catton would easily be the best skater available of the teams out of playoff position, but he's an 06 and I don't know how often/how many underagers TC likes to bring. Bjarnason would be a high quality option for a starter in net. Justin Kipke and Brady Birnie would probably be decent skater options but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't make the team either depending on the options from the O and Q.

A lot more options would open up depending on who gets eliminated in the 1st round and becomes available for the tournament.

At the last six U18 World championship tournaments Canada has rostered between 2 and 6 underage players.

Pierre-Luc Dubois 1st rd #3 OV
Tyler Benson 2nd rd #32 OV
Brett Howden 1st rd #27 OV

Maxime Comtois 2nd rd #50 OV
Owen Tippet 1st rd #10 OV
Markus Phillips 4th rd #118 OV
Michael DiPietro 3rd rd #64 OV

Ty Dellandrea 1st rd #13 OV
Akil Thomas 2nd rd #51 OV
Ty Smith 1st rd #17 OV
Jett Woo 2nd rd #37 OV
Jared McIsaac 2nd rd #36 OV
Alexis Gravel 6th rd #162 OV

Alexis Lafreniere 1st rd #1 OV
Matthew Robertson 2nd rd #49 OV
Bowen Byram 1st rd #4 OV

Jamie Drysdale 1st rd #6 OV
Daemon Hunt 3rd rd #65 OV

COVID

Tanner Howe
Connor Bedard
Lukas Dragicevic

From the group of 2006 born players whose teams will not be playing in the playoffs......
Berkly Catton, Ryder Ritchie, Charlie Elick, and Clarke Caswell from the WHL seem like possibilities.

Matthew Virgilio and Beckett Sennecke (if the Generals don't make the playoffs) from the OHL might be considered.

I'm not sure of anyone from the Q.....the top prospects are all in the playoffs I believe.

This tournament has to be the messiest for Team Canada's GM to decide on a roster with the limited list of options because of playoffs and then predicting and planning for which players might become available after the 1st round of the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how it will all play out.

Reactions: canucklax

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Think Theo Lindstein has looked really good in the relegation games he played with Brynäs. Logging quite a bit of ice-time. Mostly impressed with his quick and accurate first-pass. Something you haven't seen when he has played internationally, because he has always tried too much ... thinking he was Bobby Orr.

Sweden will have a solid top 3 at D. Let us just hope Kostadinski does not get an invite. Ouff.

Reactions: Sanz4

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Initial nomination for Slovaks:

Maxim Strbak will join April 11th.
Dalibor dvorsky, ondrej Molnar and Jakub Chromiak absent not listed on the initial group of players.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Dower Nilsson-Edstrom-Wahlberg
Unger Sörum-Nilsson-Carlsson/Sagranden/Pettersson
Zether-Johansson-Carlsson/Sagranden/Pettersson

Lindstein-Sandin Pellika
Willander-Bergström
Landén-Wikman

Wahlberg might be playing with Unger Sörum and Nilsson. Don’t believe he clicked with Dower Nilsson and Edstrom.
No Oscar Fisker Molgaard?

• Haha
Reactions: Eye of Ra

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Canadian Hockey on TSN National Broadcast Schedule | TSN

For the TSN fans.. looks like they are showing more U18 than usual. My memory could be wrong but I recall, in the past, they'd show the Canada pool games. This year they are showing games from both pools. 3 of the Czech games (not the Germany one which is the one that may matter the most to us but I can't imagine people in Canada are clamouring for that one.lol).

I have criticized TSN in the past but their international hockey coverage is great.. almost all the Skoda Cup games too. I'm not sure if anyone shows more tbh.

Sweden's on a roll at this tourney!
US is traditionally the darling of this tourney!
Canada looks to be sending a very strong roster for their standards!
Finn's are simply always good.

Getting pumped!

Jumpy

Nov 27, 2022
Norway released the pre-camp roster, and suddenly a bit less pesimistic on our chances of retaining the top spot: Precamp til VM
Biggest surpise was Andreas Fatland who (for me) came out of nowhere. A big (188 cm) goalie playing in Canada with some eye-catching stats. Looks like a draft possibility.
Other players to watch are the 1D Stian Solberg coming back from injury but widely regarded as the top talent of this age group, along with Brandsegg Nygaard (signed for Mora this season but chose surgery to be fit for next season and will miss this tourney).
Felix Granath is a regular for Frölunda U18 & U20 alongside Dower Nilsson; Elias Vatne is raking up points for Färjestad and Liam Sætre has been a regular at (a very poor) Lillehammer this season.
More interesting (for me) to see is how the rest of the guys doing well in the U20 lague in Norway will fare. It has been virtually impossible to get drafted from the Norwegian u20 and Fjordkraftligan past years (unless you show of at another stage like Balcers), but players like Petter Vesterheim, Brandsegg Nygaard, Løkkeberg and others have shown that they have made the transition from Norway to Sweden u20 / Allsvenskan and draft contention with surpising ease. Mora won their divison of u20 Nationell with six previously more or less unknown / under the draft-radar Norwegians this season. I suspect / hope this bear signs that the Norwegian U20 league is underestimated, and with a top goalie it might be interesting to follow this team.
Karlsen, Dehli & Sjøthun are some guys I will follow, but more of them doing quite well in Norway u20.

Marius Bjørnsgaard
IHK Stavanger
IHK Stavanger
Marcus Dehn
Frisk Asker
Jutul
Andreas Fatland
Ontario HA
IHK Stavanger
Martin Lundberg
Storhamar
Storhamar

Backer​

Navn
Klubb
Moderklubb
Felix Haugen Amundsen
Manglerud Star
Manglerud Star
Even Herseth Christiansen
Storhamar
Storhamar
Philip Mønnich Hagen
Stavanger Oilers
IHK Stavanger
Ludvig Lafton
Frisk Asker
Holmen
Lucas Ondrcka
Lillehammer
Frisk Asker
Bastien Semmerud-Garcia
Vålerenga
Vålerenga
Stian Solberg
Vålerenga
Hasle-Løren
Michael Sigvart Støen
Vålerenga
Hasle-Løren
Peder Øversveen
Lillehammer
Lillehammer

Løpere​

Navn
Klubb
Moderklubb
Alieu Modahl Bah
Brynäs
Grüner
Herman Boger
Vålerenga
Ski
Mathias Dehli
Lørenskog
Lørenskog
Casper Haugen Evensen
Vålerenga
Vålerenga
Felix Granath
Frölunda
Holmen
Ole Indergaard
Storhamar
Leangen
Iver Wick Karlsen
IHK Stavanger
Viking
Amandus Klungtveit
IHK Stavanger
IHK Stavanger
Oliver Langland
Vålerenga
Grüner
Jørgen Myhre
Vålerenga
Hasle-Løren
Axel Sandnes
Storhamar
Storhamar
Alex Sjøthun
Vålerenga
Ringerike
Theodor Skjellum-Kokkim
Vålerenga
Lørenskog
Liam Sætre
Lillehammer
Kongsvinger
Elias Vatne
Färjestad
Bergen

Last edited:
Reactions: Realgud and Sanz4

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
It's good the NHL Network here in the US is showing all of Team USA's games and most of Team Canada's from the round robin. It's come a long way since just showing the Gold Medal Game once in a while.

But this is the last event of the year where all these kids are in one location and TSN in Canada is showing all the games. It's a recurring theme the NHL network would rather show NHL tonight playoff highlights rather than all games from this tournament. I know what people will say - this tournament takes a huge backseat to the WJC and I get that. But it doesn't mean I can't be a little ticked I can't see all the games.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
For Canada Bedard became available with Regina beibg eliminated by Saskatoon last night.

Jumpy

Nov 27, 2022
These groups are so ridiculously unbalanced it’s almost kind of funny
Yes, a bit tilted. Germany certainly has a tough route to quarterfinals, while two out of Switzerland, Latvia and Norway will earn a spot.

Czechboy

Ceší do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yes, a bit tilted. Germany certainly has a tough route to quarterfinals, while two out of Switzerland, Latvia and Norway will earn a spot.
Hard pool also means, usually, a favorable crossover!

Looking at my pool.. I have no idea which 4 advance. Germans/Slovaks/Czechs are going to be in a dogfight.

Reactions: jj cale and Jumpy

Postulates

Jun 7, 2022
USA should be the favorite easily they keep getting goalied with their good squads

01s Askarov'd 04s Havelid (dominated shots 50 to like 14) (4-6 L) but the 04s didnt really have a goalie

Reactions: NTDP

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Hard pool also means, usually, a favorable crossover!

Looking at my pool.. I have no idea which 4 advance. Germans/Slovaks/Czechs are going to be in a dogfight.

I would honestly be quite shocked if Germany advances. It's not a terrible team, but it just lacks a little bit of everything.
My knowledge about the Czech and Slovak teams is fairly limited, but I am pretty sure they are clearly ahead of this German team.
Not to the point where an upset is impossible, but it would be highly unlikely.

I have much higher hopes for the Germans the 3 years after this one, which is why I really hope they can avoid relegation this year.
A lot will depend on coaching and goaltending.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad