Countdown...the Task At Hand (possible wild card?)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
For sure BK I agree. I just legitimately feel that STH do have a little more entitlement in a correct sort of way! ( living in Chicago or not! )
But we all do love us some Blackhawks!!

Some might but the ones that do will drive themselves crazy freaking out over single games. I consider myself luck to have season tickets and try to stay logical about it.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Some might but the ones that do will drive themselves crazy freaking out over single games. I consider myself luck to have season tickets and try to stay logical about it.

Always be the way it seems. I tend to stay on the glass half full side and am super appreciative that the boys have brought home the chalice three times.
You must put some miles on your car .. living in Minny and being a STH!

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Always be the way it seems. I tend to stay on the glass half full side and am super appreciative that the boys have brought home the chalice three times.
You must put some miles on your car .. living in Minny and being a STH!

I fly but I only go to 10 games a year and sell/give away the rest.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Not only is Nashvilke just 5 points behind us ..but in the Eastern Conference ...apart from Washington which is at the top.of ghe league,there are 5 teams also just 5 points back of the Hawks...So if they all overtake us and we do not get to the Cup Final...that first rounder we gave up for Ladd is looking better and better for the Peg ...could be all the way down to #21 if we keep losing.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Not only is Nashvilke just 5 points behind us ..but in the Eastern Conference ...apart from Washington which is at the top.of ghe league,there are 5 teams also just 5 points back of the Hawks...So if they all overtake us and we do not get to the Cup Final...that first rounder we gave up for Ladd is looking better and better for the Peg ...could be all the way down to #21 if we keep losing.

We're the worst team ever. It's hopeless.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

We're the worst team ever. It's hopeless.

Being 3 points out of first overall in the West (with a game in hand), there's a flip side to that, but surely we wouldn't want to mention that.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
The Final Push (Division)

STL and Dallas have given the Hawks a chance to jump back to the top to claim the top spot (and home ice). No dice.

Instead, the Hawks continue to falter and the most 'hmmm' moment - the Preds are now only 3 points behind.

Think about that - just a few weeks ago, the Hawks were in the div lead by 5 points and Nash was like 20-22 points back. That's quite the story.

But hey, the Hawks can flip the switch at any time.

There is a very real possibility that this team goes from division lead (and best record in the West) to a wild card spot in just a few short weeks.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
STL and Dallas have given the Hawks a chance to jump back to the top to claim the top spot (and home ice). No dice.

Instead, the Hawks continue to falter and the most 'hmmm' moment - the Preds are now only 3 points behind.

Think about that - just a few weeks ago, the Hawks were in the div lead by 5 points and Nash was like 20-22 points back. That's quite the story.

But hey, the Hawks can flip the switch at any time.

There is a very real possibility that this team goes from division lead (and best record in the West) to a wild card spot in just a few short weeks.

Yes, that's all true. However, none of that means this team is any less of a contender for the Cup.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Yes, that's all true. However, none of that means this team is any less of a contender for the Cup.

I disagree.

It's the difference between home ice and not for the first series. Yes one win can flip that but i'd prefer home ice. Until recently the Hawks were damn near unbeatable at home while the road was shaky.

And there's the momentum aspect. Sure, we all know they faltered going into last playoffs - losing what, 4 in a row?

We can attribute that to things like swapping 5 minute a game Ben Smith for Andrew Desjardins and chemistry of new guys, but I'd attribute it more to the guy who was on pace to win the Art Ross being in an arm sling for the last 30 games of the season.

The reality is that the Hawks are playing terrible hockey on all levels. I really can't think of one thing they are doing well - D is terrible, PK is terrible, getting killed at the dot, the big guns aren't scoring, 72/88 have cooled off, Crow was letting in goals, PP cooled off, coaching has been suspect at best and none of the newcomers, save for the 'throw in' Fleischmann have made much of an impact.

Don't know where I stand on the whole 'momentum' thing, but the trend we are seeing is terrible. I personally would like to see it turned around.

People are talking about this magic 'switch'. Yes, it got flipped per se, but it took a miracle game 1 to get there. And keep in mind that Nashville was playing without their best player and I also recall Fisher being out a good chunk of that series.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
I'm willing to accept the dramatic consequences of these next few weeks if we all agree that any point the Blackhawks gain on the Stars or Blues is a monumental achievement that puts the Hawks closer to the Cup and exposes the other teams as pretenders.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hawks haven't been playing well at all. Like others have said, it's pretty much in all facets of the game. Team defense combined with an awful PK have been the worst areas. I do like the idea that Kruger should be back soon, which will go a long way to help right the ship for the PK. The team D needs to improve, though. Forwards aren't being aggressive enough in the defensive zone. Other teams' D are taking shots from the point like they're at a shooting gallery. Need to get in more lanes, block more shots, and pursue the opponents D in their own zone better. Where is that aggressive pressure on the opposing Dmen that we saw early on? IDK, honestly. They look too complacent. That pressure consistently led to odd-man breaks for the Hawks, and we miss those, as they are the bread and butter of this offense. Lots of talent, and odd-man breaks are almost always a guaranteed goal for the Hawks.

The D also isn't being aggressive enough in the corners/behind the net. Teams seem to be able to stand down below the goal line and work the puck around/cycle like the Hawks aren't even on the ice.

In short, IMO, the Hawks overall need to be more aggressive in their puck pursuit in all zones, both offensively and defensively, and the rest of their game will come from that.

Possession teams that do no possess the puck always look bad. And this is all directly related to their ability to be aggressive on the puck, pursue well, and win the battles along the boards.

All that said, I think they're going to be OK. This team knows how to handle situations like this. They know how to right the ship. We've seen them do it time, and time again. It's just a matter of when they're going to step up and do it.

It's not a matter of IF the Hawks turn things around. It's a matter of WHEN.

If they turn it around over the next couple games, they're fine.

If they turn it around 4 games into the first round, it may be too little, too late. But I have faith in the guys to get this thing going. I think they all want that repeat to etch their names into the history books for the salary cap era.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I disagree.

It's the difference between home ice and not for the first series. Yes one win can flip that but i'd prefer home ice. Until recently the Hawks were damn near unbeatable at home while the road was shaky.

And there's the momentum aspect. Sure, we all know they faltered going into last playoffs - losing what, 4 in a row?

We can attribute that to things like swapping 5 minute a game Ben Smith for Andrew Desjardins and chemistry of new guys, but I'd attribute it more to the guy who was on pace to win the Art Ross being in an arm sling for the last 30 games of the season.

The reality is that the Hawks are playing terrible hockey on all levels. I really can't think of one thing they are doing well - D is terrible, PK is terrible, getting killed at the dot, the big guns aren't scoring, 72/88 have cooled off, Crow was letting in goals, PP cooled off, coaching has been suspect at best and none of the newcomers, save for the 'throw in' Fleischmann have made much of an impact.

Don't know where I stand on the whole 'momentum' thing, but the trend we are seeing is terrible. I personally would like to see it turned around.

People are talking about this magic 'switch'. Yes, it got flipped per se, but it took a miracle game 1 to get there. And keep in mind that Nashville was playing without their best player and I also recall Fisher being out a good chunk of that series.

Home ice is important I agree but if you look at the standings we can still easily catch STL and Dallas (a bit harder). The Preds are peaking right now and are catching up to everyone. No one should be shocked (just look at them last year) but they don't scare me at this point.

People mention the whole switch thing because the stars on this team seem to get hot when the playoffs start. No one can explain why. Maybe other teams panic more and the Hawks keep moving along. No one knows why but it does happen. Should we just hope that happens? Yes but the Hawks need to start getting their game tightened up and ready for the playoffs. The need to make the needed tweaks in the coming weeks.

This CC injury might be a blessing in disguise for 3 reason. 1) Crow gets some much needed rest, 2) Darling gets some needed work and should get his game back to where we need it, 3) With our backup playing it should force our team to play a tighter and more focused game to "protect" the backup (we have done this a lot in the past).

Also Tyler Seguin is out 3-4 weeks with a cut Achillies so that helps.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Home ice is important I agree but if you look at the standings we can still easily catch STL and Dallas (a bit harder). The Preds are peaking right now and are catching up to everyone. No one should be shocked (just look at them last year) but they don't scare me at this point.

People mention the whole switch thing because the stars on this team seem to get hot when the playoffs start. No one can explain why. Maybe other teams panic more and the Hawks keep moving along. No one knows why but it does happen. Should we just hope that happens? Yes but the Hawks need to start getting their game tightened up and ready for the playoffs. The need to make the needed tweaks in the coming weeks.

This CC injury might be a blessing in disguise for 3 reason. 1) Crow gets some much needed rest, 2) Darling gets some needed work and should get his game back to where we need it, 3) With our backup playing it should force our team to play a tighter and more focused game to "protect" the backup (we have done this a lot in the past).

Also Tyler Seguin is out 3-4 weeks with a cut Achillies so that helps.

Was just going to say that. It helps the Hawks chances to catch Dallas in the RS, if they turn their game around now.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Nashville - 2 Points Behind

Might as well have its own thread.

Good chance the Hawks have gone from a 5 point division lead and a 20 point lead on Nash to a possible WC spot in about 6 weeks. Frankly, if that was another team we'd be calling it an epic choke.

Discuss...

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Might as well have its own thread.

Good chance the Hawks have gone from a 5 point division lead and a 20 point lead on Nash to a possible WC spot in about 6 weeks. Frankly, if that was another team we'd be calling it an epic choke.

Discuss...

Some will view it as a usual trend in a run to the Cup, others will beat the "this team sucks" drum. Not much to discuss, you're pretty much in one of the two camps.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
What's there to say. We'll see whether they can flip the switch or if this is what they are.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Some will view it as a usual trend in a run to the Cup, others will beat the "this team sucks" drum. Not much to discuss, you're pretty much in one of the two camps.

This isn't a usual run.

The Hawks had a 5 point lead - in the division - and a 20, yes, 20, point lead on Nashville just what, 6 weeks ago?

That is a major fail in my camp. The larger reality is that they have been playing simply dreadful hockey in this 'run'. Couple that with the fact pretty much every loss has come against Western Conference playoff teams...and they've looked beyond dreadful in those games. So much so, that I don't see a magic elixir.

I'm not hung up on them winning the division, but potentially dropping to a WC spot is a VERY big deal - it means the playoff run will consist of 4 very difficult road series - effectively putting them on the hardest road to the Cup.

And we hear 'they do this every year'. Yes, with a better, more complete roster featuring the seasoned core. That core isn't in tact and pieces are missing. So this year is different. And can't compare it to last year. Why? The Hawks limped into the playoffs last season playing very bad hockey and then 'flipped the switch' in the playoffs. Normal? Actually, no. I'd attribute that end of season lull to the fact that the guy who was on pace to lead the league in scoring last season and is leading this year - was out. Big difference.

This team just doesn't seem to have that 'magic'.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
This isn't a usual run.

The Hawks had a 5 point lead - in the division - and a 20, yes, 20, point lead on Nashville just what, 6 weeks ago?

That is a major fail in my camp. The larger reality is that they have been playing simply dreadful hockey in this 'run'. Couple that with the fact pretty much every loss has come against Western Conference playoff teams...and they've looked beyond dreadful in those games. So much so, that I don't see a magic elixir.

I'm not hung up on them winning the division, but potentially dropping to a WC spot is a VERY big deal - it means the playoff run will consist of 4 very difficult road series - effectively putting them on the hardest road to the Cup.

And we hear 'they do this every year'. Yes, with a better, more complete roster featuring the seasoned core. That core isn't in tact and pieces are missing. So this year is different. And can't compare it to last year. Why? The Hawks limped into the playoffs last season playing very bad hockey and then 'flipped the switch' in the playoffs. Normal? Actually, no. I'd attribute that end of season lull to the fact that the guy who was on pace to lead the league in scoring last season and is leading this year - was out. Big difference.

This team just doesn't seem to have that 'magic'.

You literally just proved what RoR was talking about. There are people in one of two camps.

As of right now this team does not appear to be a cup contender but this is also the same team that went on a huge run earlier in the season and looked like the cup favorite. We really don't know which team we are until the playoffs start. Yes we all know you don't think we have the magic because you have been saying it every post since mid January in your posts.

FYI we were missing Kane last year and this year Crow is out. Crow has only been out 5 games (6 if you count tomorrow). So it is very similar to last year but not exactly the same. Also similar to last year is the fact that the Wild made a similar jump in the standings and almost caught us. This doesn't really need a thread because it will be discussed in every GDT and in the Arounf the League thread. This thread is just another place for the complainers to complain and *****.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
You literally just proved what RoR was talking about. There are people in one of two camps.

As of right now this team does not appear to be a cup contender but this is also the same team that went on a huge run earlier in the season and looked like the cup favorite. We really don't know which team we are until the playoffs start. Yes we all know you don't think we have the magic because you have been saying it every post since mid January in your posts.

FYI we were missing Kane last year and this year Crow is out. Crow has only been out 5 games (6 if you count tomorrow). So it is very similar to last year but not exactly the same. Also similar to last year is the fact that the Wild made a similar jump in the standings and almost caught us. This doesn't really need a thread because it will be discussed in every GDT and in the Arounf the League thread. This thread is just another place for the complainers to complain and *****.

Well of course people are in two camps. Why wouldn't they be? Some may say 'no big deal, they'll flip the switch'. Others, like me, will say possibly pizzing away a 20 point lead to drop to a WC spot in 6 weeks is a big deal.

As for last year, not a comparison. The Wild were on an epic horseshoe run due to the insane play of a goalie that their coach didn't rest. That caught up with them in the playoffs. The Wild, however, did the Hawks a huge favor by knocking out STL. Imagine NASH/STL/ANA as the run to the SCF.

But the 'this year v. last year' comparisons fall down. Last year the Hawks were coasting and more importantly, one of the best players in the NHL (and this year's MVP) was out injured. That's simply not the same thing this year.

I know I'm verbose. I do so to try to explain my positions rather than just spouting them. I'd like someone in the 'hey, its the Hawks. They always do this and always flip the switch' camp to explain to me specifically why that will happen with THIS roster and reference specific issues - roster gaps, special teams, one line carrying the team all year, etc. Or are the Hawks just going through a horrible stretch because a 4th line center was out and because another guy is making $4.5M playing in Rockford?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Yes, the past couple weeks have been insanely disappointing, but that being said..... not to compare this year's team with last year's, or this year's midseason slump with last year's, we did dip temporarily into a wild card slot last season as well.

The February/March doldrums are formulaic for this team. At this point, there's nothing we can do but hopefully wait it out. Is the past month or so a sign that we're not an elite team this year or just a bump in the road that's unusually large?

Dunno. I'm not going to panic just yet until we're in a big hole in the playoffs.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
All of the nay sayers haven't chimed in quite yet but it sounds to me like this backyard character is enjoying all of these posts and actually gloating about Hawks poor play. Whatever rings your chimes, i guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad