Countdown...the Task At Hand (possible wild card?)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks have squandered opportunity and have fallen into 3rd in the Central ...now 3 back of Dallas and STL but with 1 game in hand...Squander the home game tomorrow night at home vs.L.A. and our task gets even tougher..Our coach and our Captain "leader" claim we want to finish first in the Central but it is hard to believe them given the meh record since the end of our 12 game win streak back on Jan. 19th..

We play 8 games remaining in March and conclude with 5 he's in April..We play Dallas and STL 1 more game each and they are in our barn...not that that will bother Dallas and STL ..so of we Squander our home games ...well it is hard enough for us to win road games..Of our 13 remaining games we have 7 at home and 6 on the road..we have 4 of our next 5 games AT HOME ..so we have to right the ship starting tomorrow night with the Kings visiting.

StanDaMan

Jul 15, 2015
Asking for a friend. Where did the Hawks finish last in the regular season? How did they finish the season?

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
Asking for a friend. Where did the Hawks finish last in the regular season? How did they finish the season?

I want to agree with you but when you look at stuff like the possession numbers it doesn't help that argument. This team kinda stinks this year. The fact they're at where they are is because of Kane, Panarin and Crawford. The bottom two lines are 2011 bad.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I want to agree with you but when you look at stuff like the possession numbers it doesn't help that argument. This team kinda stinks this year. The fact they're at where they are is because of Kane, Panarin and Crawford. The bottom two lines are 2011 bad.

Line 4 will be the same as last year which was pretty darn good.
Line 3 is the only line actually producing and playing well right now.
It's line 1 & now 2 that need and will pull up to the plate in the coming few weeks.

Ladd Toews Hossa
Panarin Anisimov Kane
Desi/Weiss TT Fleischman
Weiss/Desi Kruger Shaw

That looks like a pretty good line up to me.
Only thing that's needed is the urgency which will come as the PO's approach.
Toews, Hossa, Kane, TT, Kruger and Shaw have all played a ton of minutes in the last few years.
The new blood will begin to gel with the core and all systems will be a go come April.
Unless of course the core just doesn't have it in them for yet another long run … time will tell.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

True but the bottom 6 has consisted of what? 20+ different players?

Q needs to settle (once and for all) on the bottom 2 lines immediately. Then keep that combo together for the balance of the RS.

Good chemistry is a must going into the PO's, particularly so on the 3rd and 4th lines. Q needs to recognize that he can't play musical lines/players like he has in the past and expect cohesion and for the intensity switch to get flipped at PO time.

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BUT Blender Q has not settled the bottom 2 lines...after scoring 2 goals by line 3 last game experimenting with Weise to flank TT and Fleischmann, genius Q has broken them up in practice and so it looks like his boy Desi will start on line 3 again...So Weise to line 4 again ...which seems to defy what kind of help Stan tried to get fir TT ...But of course we all know that once Kruger returns Q will then re-inite him on line #4 with Desi in the home their chemistry of the playoffs last year returns (which it probably won't...but that will be a story too if we falter in playoffs).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks all say they want to finish first...but I have called out our leadership ..the big paycheck trio of Toews and Kane and Keith...our
best gotta be our best ..and they were among our worst last game.

Kings Ducks and Sharks could all overtake us in the Western Conference points race which would be embarrassing if we falter badly in these last 13 games..Also Nashvilke is 7 behind us which you would think gives us comfortable assurance we get at least 3rd in the Central..but again if they go hot and we keep faltering...we could end up just a wild card..So I hate our
blase attitude and convenient excuses for not showing up for
WORK...Slough ing off losses to contenders as not important
..just another regular season game ho hum..The fact other contenders ahead of us or chasing us in the points do not display this attitude or that their coaches do not tolerate "coasting" into the playoffs makes me angry...The playoffs to the Cup are for pride...Players are not paid to play thise games...They are paid to show up for work and give their professional best during the regular season...to Compete ...so that fans paying their salaries get their money's worth..I am sick over acceptance that this all does not mater. .Sure winning the Cup is the most important goal ..But you cannot slack ..you must at least try to compete
and not "coast" into the playoffs ..because this CHEATS tge fans who pay the salaries and sit in the seats for 41 home games and also CHEATS the fans of opposing home teams when you come in as visitors (though they would love it if you did slack in those games...yet when you slack you lower the competitive natireb/integrity of the game..Sometimes you are a tired team and that could be a legit excuse for a no show..But when you are not tired..there is no excuse. ESPECIALLY when you tell the fans you all want to finish as high as you can..rhen process to go out and show us that is a lie because you just did not care to show. Up for work giving an honest effort..

Last edited:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
We have, on paper, the easiest schedule going forward of the three teams. If we keep dumping against mediocre teams then I will be concerned.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011

you think this team stinks?? Why would it matter what players on the team make them good?? they are still on the team.

Ladd-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Fleishman-Teravainen-Weisse
Desi-Kruger-Shaw

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-TVR
Gust-Rozy-Erhoff
Crow
Darling

there is no way you think that team stinks

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hawks all say they want to finish first...but I have called out our leadership ..the big paycheck trio of Toews and Kane and Keith...our

Kings Ducks and Sharks could all overtake us in the Western Conference points race which would be embarrassing if we falter badly in these last 13 games..Also Nashvilke is 7 behind us which you would think gives us comfortable assurance we get at least 3rd in the Central..but again if they go hot and we keep faltering...we could end up just a wild card..So I hate our
..just another regular season game ho hum..The fact other contenders ahead of us or chasing us in the points do not display this attitude or that their coaches do not tolerate "coasting" into the playoffs makes me angry...The playoffs to the Cup are for pride...Players are not paid to play thise games...They are paid to show up for work and give their professional best during the regular season...to Compete ...so that fans paying their salaries get their money's worth..I am sick over acceptance that this all does not mater. .Sure winning the Cup is the most important goal ..But you cannot slack ..you must at least try to compete
and not "coast" into the playoffs ..because this CHEATS tge fans who pay the salaries and sit in the seats for 41 home games and also CHEATS the fans of opposing home teams when you come in as visitors (though they would love it if you did slack in those games...yet when you slack you lower the competitive natireb/integrity of the game..Sometimes you are a tired team and that could be a legit excuse for a no show..But when you are not tired..there is no excuse. ESPECIALLY when you tell the fans you all want to finish as high as you can..rhen process to go out and show us that is a lie because you just did not care to show. Up for work giving an honest effort..

I don't feel cheated.

kcorp90

Aug 31, 2015
Iowa
True but the bottom 6 has consisted of what? 20+ different players?

Q needs to settle (once and for all) on the bottom 2 lines immediately. Then keep that combo together for the balance of the RS.

Good chemistry is a must going into the PO's, particularly so on the 3rd and 4th lines. Q needs to recognize that he can't play musical lines/players like he has in the past and expect cohesion and for the intensity switch to get flipped at PO time.

To settle the bottom six, wouldn't it make sense to roll these lines?

Fleischmann TT Weise
Desi Rasmussen Shaw

Wasn't the purpose of bringing in Weise and Fleischmann to add some skilled scoring wingers to flank TT on the third line? Wasn't it mentioned Weise and Fleischmann generated chemistry in Montreal? I don't get why they're split up.. I'd see it best that those three be put together to give them as much time to build chemistry before they are put into the line blender and ruled out. I don't understand Desi on the 3rd line over Weise at this point.

Also -- it's been mentioned how effective the 4th line was in the playoffs last year. Why not keep Desi and Shaw on that line and supplement Rasmussen as the temporary center until Krugs is back? Scratch Panik and Mashinter as they will probably just be extra bodies during the playoffs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

As someone who has season tickets I don't feel cheated at all and I know 5-6 other people who 100% agree that they don't feel cheated. I pay a lot of money for the seats and they are worth every penny. Saying Q "cheats" the paying fans is incorrect and so far off base it is ridiculous. Dollar Bill cheated the fans but this team and organization does not. 50 do you have season tickets? Something tells me you don't.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
To settle the bottom six, wouldn't it make sense to roll these lines?

Fleischmann TT Weise
Desi Rasmussen Shaw

Wasn't the purpose of bringing in Weise and Fleischmann to add some skilled scoring wingers to flank TT on the third line? Wasn't it mentioned Weise and Fleischmann generated chemistry in Montreal? I don't get why they're split up.. I'd see it best that those three be put together to give them as much time to build chemistry before they are put into the line blender and ruled out. I don't understand Desi on the 3rd line over Weise at this point.

Also -- it's been mentioned how effective the 4th line was in the playoffs last year. Why not keep Desi and Shaw on that line and supplement Rasmussen as the temporary center until Krugs is back? Scratch Panik and Mashinter as they will probably just be extra bodies during the playoffs.

The one word answer is a resounding, YES..... problem being it doesn't fit Q's MO to stand pat with his lines. In the past, however, he hasn't had to deal with so much youth and so many new faces.

The question is: Does Q have it in him to take that logical approach?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
The one word answer is a resounding, YES..... problem being it doesn't fit Q's MO to stand pat with his lines. In the past, however, he hasn't had to deal with so much youth and so many new faces.

The question is: Does Q have it in him to take that logical approach?

I think he will. At the end of the day, Q goes with what's working. He tries to get cute sometimes, e.g. the fresh legs debacle, but pragmatism usually wins out.

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
you think this team stinks?? Why would it matter what players on the team make them good?? they are still on the team.

Ladd-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
Fleishman-Teravainen-Weisse
Desi-Kruger-Shaw

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-TVR
Gust-Rozy-Erhoff
Crow
Darling

there is no way you think that team stinks

You need 4 lines to win it all. Ladd has always been overrated. The guy played on our 3rd line in 2010 and now he's on our first line and 7 years older. I never bought the hype, he isn't a first liner player in my eyes. Weisse is just another scrub like Garbutt. Fleishman is okay, I guess. Desi is bad and Kruger isn't back yet. TVR and Gust are regressing. Erhoff is bad and looks creepy. It's a smelly, stinky team that has been carried by three guys.

I hope they can turn it around come playoff time but this feels like an early exit year which wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not one of those guys who thinks this is our final shot to grab one more Cup win.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting that an NHL GM (Doug Armstring) was quoted in a story about inserting youth into a team in the final part of a season by the statistics generally results in a team improving it's win record not as conventional thinking says that youth will make mistakes costing teams wins.. I do not know w.here such stats came from but IF true it knocks out genius Q's fear of "trust" in yutes and instead condemns trust in vets coaching philosophy (as season winds down) as full of baloney..

The corollary is that many vets will Coast or get tired as the season winds down and an infusion of yutes provides greater energy and desire to show they belong..Thus the vets approach promotes more slacking (certainly brought our by the Hawks vets after January 19th till now at least ) whereas teams adding yutes to their lineup are getting a boost in competitiveness if not in actual wins in some cases..

Somebody would need to prove all this theory but Armstrong claims the stats bear it out.

Anyway just thought I would bring this up given Q has not been getting much from his trusted vets except too many stinkers since the glory days of the 12 game win streak ...Of course you need to insert enthusiastic yutes who can actually play ...but maybe Stan and his vaunted scouts have nor supplied very much of this sort of yute boost from what was available on the farm?

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You need 4 lines to win it all. Ladd has always been overrated. The guy played on our 3rd line in 2010 and now he's on our first line and 7 years older. I never bought the hype, he isn't a first liner player in my eyes. Weisse is just another scrub like Garbutt. Fleishman is okay, I guess. Desi is bad and Kruger isn't back yet. TVR and Gust are regressing. Erhoff is bad and looks creepy. It's a smelly, stinky team that has been carried by three guys.

I hope they can turn it around come playoff time but this feels like an early exit year which wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm not one of those guys who thinks this is our final shot to grab one more Cup win.

Huh? Ladd is easily the best acquisition at the TD in Stan's tenure here. Weise isn't too shabby either and Ehrhoff is solid depth who can play on the PP. As well, K/T,Keith and Seabs are close to, or in their prime. Crawford is also and playing the best hockey of his career. Hawks have the best offensive line in hockey. IMO, on paper this team is the best Hawk team ever assembled. It is up to Q to set the line-up combinations now, allow the team to get some chemistry and open the door between line changes (as Scotty used to say when he had those great Hab teams). Consider that your reality check.

Your Reality Check

Nov 11, 2013
Chicago
Huh? Ladd is easily the best acquisition at the TD in Stan's tenure here. Weise isn't too shabby either and Ehrhoff is solid depth who can play on the PP. As well, K/T,Keith and Seabs are close to, or in their prime. Crawford is also and playing the best hockey of his career. Hawks have the best offensive line in hockey. IMO, on paper this team is the best Hawk team ever assembled. It is up to Q to set the line-up combinations now, allow the team to get some chemistry and open the door between line changes (as Scotty used to say when he had those great Hab teams). Consider that your reality check.

I think you're delusional. This is about the team and the talent on the ice as a whole. All my friends told me I was delusional last year when I never panicked during the regular season but that team was better built for the playoffs and possession hockey. This team isn't. This team has literally been carried by 3 players having the best year of their career so far.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think you're delusional. This is about the team and the talent on the ice as a whole. All my friends told me I was delusional last year when I never panicked during the regular season but that team was better built for the playoffs and possession hockey. This team isn't. This team has literally been carried by 3 players having the best year of their career so far.

No question the team and coach have some big challenges ahead of them.... as do all contending teams every year going into the post season. Of course what is seen on paper needs to be translated to the ice. We'll soon see if they're up to the challenge.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
As someone who has season tickets I don't feel cheated at all and I know 5-6 other people who 100% agree that they don't feel cheated. I pay a lot of money for the seats and they are worth every penny. Saying Q "cheats" the paying fans is incorrect and so far off base it is ridiculous. Dollar Bill cheated the fans but this team and organization does not. 50 do you have season tickets? Something tells me you don't.

HF50 like myself and a smattering of other posters are canucks and of course are not season ticket holders. This doesn't hinder our die hard fandom in any way but in truth not being a citizen of the US, nor a resident of Chicago and season ticket holder does put us in a slightly different category when it comes to entitlement! ;)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
HF50 like myself and a smattering of other posters are canucks and of course are not season ticket holders. This doesn't hinder our die hard fandom in any way but in truth not being a citizen of the US, nor a resident of Chicago and season ticket holder does put us in a slightly different category when it comes to entitlement! ;)

Hey I basically live in Canada! I am in no way questioning fandom but I simply asked (and I stated I don't think he was a season ticket holder). I honestly think being in Canada is a huge advantage because you get to see major junior games (favorite hockey to watch; OHL > WHL > QMJHL for me).

Being a season ticket holder has helped me level my regular season expectations because I am actually financially invested. Let me explain better, when I was younger I expected 100% every game because growing up I was able to go 100% every game in AAA but when I got to juniors I noticed even the best player started to struggle to bring it every game then it got worse in college. The grind is a lot for even the best players. This co tongues through to the pros. Yes they are elite athletes but the human body has its limits physically and mentally. In saying all that I started looking at everything from a season long view (I look at 10/20/40 game segments as well) instead of a freak out every game that is not great view.

Not saying that being a season ticket holder makes you a better fan but I think having the investment brings a different dynamic.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
BUT Blender Q has not settled the bottom 2 lines...after scoring 2 goals by line 3 last game experimenting with Weise to flank TT and Fleischmann, genius Q has broken them up in practice and so it looks like his boy Desi will start on line 3 again...So Weise to line 4 again ...which seems to defy what kind of help Stan tried to get fir TT ...But of course we all know that once Kruger returns Q will then re-inite him on line #4 with Desi in the home their chemistry of the playoffs last year returns (which it probably won't...but that will be a story too if we falter in playoffs).

I'm not sure he's settled the top 2 lines either.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Hey I basically live in Canada! I am in no way questioning fandom but I simply asked (and I stated I don't think he was a season ticket holder). I honestly think being in Canada is a huge advantage because you get to see major junior games (favorite hockey to watch; OHL > WHL > QMJHL for me).

Being a season ticket holder has helped me level my regular season expectations because I am actually financially invested. Let me explain better, when I was younger I expected 100% every game because growing up I was able to go 100% every game in AAA but when I got to juniors I noticed even the best player started to struggle to bring it every game then it got worse in college. The grind is a lot for even the best players. This co tongues through to the pros. Yes they are elite athletes but the human body has its limits physically and mentally. In saying all that I started looking at everything from a season long view (I look at 10/20/40 game segments as well) instead of a freak out every game that is not great view.

Not saying that being a season ticket holder makes you a better fan but I think having the investment brings a different dynamic.

For sure BK I agree. I just legitimately feel that STH do have a little more entitlement in a correct sort of way! ( living in Chicago or not! )
But we all do love us some Blackhawks!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad