Councillor in Ireland bans select dog breeds in parks

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Any dog can be dangerous, however, these are the more likely to be dangerous.
Yes it depends on the owner, but I see no problem in doing this. Why take a
chance.

Yet you live in a country that has the highest gun ownership...

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Your right. All pitbulls and part pitbulls should be wiped out. Doesn't matter how they are trained. They are bred to kill. All are capable of snapping at the blink of an eye.

Actually no they were not bred to kill. Pit Bull is a general term that covers a number of breeds as there is not official Pit Bull.

Formal breeds often considered in North America to be of the pit bull type include the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier. The American Bulldog and the Bull Terrier (standard and miniature) are also sometimes included.

Many of these breeds were originally bred as bull-baiting dogs, hence the large jaw to get around the snout of the bull and the locking jaw. Sadly humans did what humans do and some people started using this characteristics in a bad way for dog fighting.

Of course people don't talk about the good...from wiki

Notable pit bulls
Pit bull breeds have become famous for their roles as soldiers, police dogs, search and rescue dogs, actors, television personalities, seeing eye dogs, and celebrity pets. Historically, the Bull Terrier mix Nipper and the American Staffordshire Terrier, Pete the Pup from the Little Rascals are the most well known. Lesser known, but still historically notable pit bulls include Billie Holiday's companion "Mister", Helen Keller's dog "Sir Thomas", Buster Brown's dog "Tige", Horatio Jackson's dog "Bud", President Theodore Roosevelt's Pit Bull terrier "Pete", "Jack Brutus" who served for Company K, the First Connecticut Volunteer Infantry during the civil war, Sergeant Stubby who served for the 102nd Infantry, 26th (Yankee) Division during World War I, and Sir Walter Scott's "Wasp".

Contemporary significant pit bulls are: Weela, who helped save 32 people, 29 dogs, 3 horses, and 1 cat; Popsicle, a five-month-old puppy originally found nearly dead in a freezer, who grew to become one of the nation's most important police dogs; Norton, who was placed in the Purina Animal Hall of Fame after he rescued his owner from a severe reaction to a spider bite; Titan, who rescued his owner's wife, who would have died from an aneurysm, D-Boy, who took three bullets to save his family from an intruder with a gun, and Lilly, who lost a leg after being struck by a freight train while pulling her unconscious owner from the train tracks. Daddy, Cesar Millan's right-hand dog was famous for his mellow temperament and his ability to interact calmly with ill-mannered dogs.

They are not my breed, I have Alaskan Malamutes, but I hate when people generalize and blame a breed of dogs when in the end it is always the human that is the root of the problem.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Interesting list. As most dog owners know it's the dog's upbringing and training that leads itself to a dog being dangerous. That said, there are breeds whose size, strength, and yes even instinctive behavior that make the repercussions of them snapping much more severe. Small dogs are the most ill mannered, rude beasts on the face of the earth but at worst they'll bite a finger, not rip your face off.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
My 17lb Jack Russel Terrier who has anxiety issues (much better now with medication) is scarier than any big dog I've ever met when he has an episode. That includes the sheppard that got a hold of both of my arms when I was younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00